What is YOUR most extrodinary coincidence?

How should we think about weird things?
ForestGreen
Poster

Postby ForestGreen » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:05 am

Last summer, I was driving down the highway, and got this image in my mind of a truck with a house on it, running into a tunnel or overpass, knocking the top of the house's roof off. A few miles down the road, I passed a bunch of junk on the road - wood and litter, just beneath an overhead sign, that everyone was slowing down to avoid. Just a little further ahead was a truck pulled over with a house on it - with the top of its roof torn off. Ouch!

Another time, I had rented a motorcycle on some remote Greek island. I saw a girl with a Canada T-shirt, so I pulled over and talked to her, since no one else on this island seemed to speak English. She told me her home town. I said I had just bought a post card which I was going to send to a friend from the same place. I told her the friends name, and she looked stunned. She ended up signing the postcard. A few years later, my friend met up with another friend of mine, again by coincidence, while off on the other side of the continent (North America).

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:46 am

JO 753 wrote:You say 'strange but not mystical'. This iz not a useful perspective.

It iz evidence uv something going on. Not proof, but how many strange events woud it take till you begin to consider the possibilty that something really iz going on?

I'm not saying you immedietly hav to believe in God or syncronicity or Karma the 1st time something weird happenz to you, but to completely dismiss everything az random chance woud be pretty dum after a while.

What is it that you think it's evidence of. The fact is, we should all have really weird things happening in our lives on occasion--because millions of things happen all the time and some of them are bound to be memorable. But to assume there is "hidden meaning" doesn't get you anywhere. You can enjoy great coincidences without having to feel like you are in the "twilight zone'. I mean the "Face on Mars" really, really looks like a face--or it did, before we got higher resolution pictures...but it doesn't mean god or aliens are making faces on planets--it means humans are good at seeing faces in patterns--and one of the photos we got with technology at the time, made this image particularly interesting. What else or why else would you conclude something else about a random occurence... all of us have life changing moments and don't even know it--we exist because of a particular sperm of many that fertilized a particular egg of many--and all our children who will change our lives and all the people who will do the same are also equally as "unlikely" in the world of probabilities. Most people have children with people that they met randomly--because of where they were at a certain time or a house their parents moved into or a job decision they made. People die in instances of being in the "wrong place" at the wrong time and so forth. And that is life altering for the survivors and anyone who may have met, married, spawned with, or been altered by the deceased had they lived.

If you haven't had amazing events in your life, chances are, you are very young and/or not very observant--or maybe you just don't have a good memory. If you think of the most significant events in your life, you can also think of just a little change that would have altered things completely.
If you can't understand; maybe it's you: http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:18 am

Well, were talking about improbable events here, so naturally, they invite paranormal explanationz, Articulett. I dont hav any particular favorite paranormal theory that they woud be in support uv. I'm saying that you cant simply dismiss them az coincidencez.

You hav to remember that many uv the great advancez in science were the rezult uv sumbudy kuming up with a weird theory about a very rare observation.

I'm 47 and hav had plenty uv little weird coincidencez and a few worth telling. In fact, hav a look at http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=191&sid=70c674547d79a83c84c35a71dbf83973 for a few uv mine & a bunch uv otherz. Many uv the entriez are in the same vein az in this topic.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:31 am

JO 753 wrote:You hav to remember that many uv the great advancez in science were the rezult uv sumbudy kuming up with a weird theory about a very rare observation.

A repeatable observation.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:45 am

And thats the real challange, MM.

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:49 am

JO 753 wrote:Well, were talking about improbable events here, so naturally, they invite paranormal explanationz, Articulett. I dont hav any particular favorite paranormal theory that they woud be in support uv. I'm saying that you cant simply dismiss them az coincidencez.

You hav to remember that many uv the great advancez in science were the rezult uv sumbudy kuming up with a weird theory about a very rare observation.

I'm 47 and hav had plenty uv little weird coincidencez and a few worth telling. In fact, hav a look at http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=191&sid=70c674547d79a83c84c35a71dbf83973 for a few uv mine & a bunch uv otherz. Many uv the entriez are in the same vein az in this topic.

Certainly you can dismiss some as coincidences--because each lifetime is bound to be filled with many coincidences. It's human nature to notice them and to notice patterns and find meaning and purpose where they might not be. Some could have other explanations--a third factor--etc. I just don't see what would be useful about assuming that it's "supernatural" or that you can't ever understand it. It's just a line of thinking that goes nowhere. I definitely believe in weird coincidences--I definitely don't believe that any of them are supernatural. If someone predicted an exact coincidence before it happened (and not something general like, "I'll see someone I know in this museum...and they were not in the habit of making predictions and/or the vast majority of their predictions came true--)then I might wonder about the supernatural...but so far, such claims are anecdotal--it seems like the meaning is all in the head of the believer. It's possible for someone to win the lottery twice--completely by randomness--but it's likely that anyone who did win the the lottery twice would believe it was because of a pray they said or good Karma or because they were wearing their lucky shirt--etc.

I don't care what other people believe about their experiences...anymore than they care about what I believe--I just want to know what's true. I expect all people have uncanny coincidences in their life that they can recall... I just don't ascribe any special, hidden, or divine meaning to them. Coincidences are expected in this world. So far, the supernatural has 0 evidence in it's favor.
If you can't understand; maybe it's you: http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:57 am

We all know, as Terry Pratchett once wrote, "One in a million chances happen nine times out of ten."
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:We all know, as Terry Pratchett once wrote, "One in a million chances happen nine times out of ten."

Hey, here's a coincidence. I just listened to this podcast: http://www.theskepticsguide.org/ (January 10, 2007 episode) and James Randi talks about this very thing at the end of the show--this whole mistaking of coincidences (bound to happen in any human's life) with "well, since you can't explain "x", my mystical belief is true"-- It's easy to look at the odds afterwards and marvel--what were the odds that "x" would happen--

All of life is an odds game. A minor delay in your fathers orgasm means you wouldn't have existed. Although it's unlikely that any single person will win the lottery, it's very likely that some one somewhere will win it. Sometimes you can roll the dice and get 6 sixes in a row, just by chance-- This tendency for humans to feel all tingly when they experience meaningful coincidences is exactly what people like Sylvia Browne use to exploit people. This ability has allowed humans to learn to manipulate our environment--but it is the basis of all superstition too. It causes us to mistake correlation for causation and find hidden meaning that exists nowhere but in our head.

But here's the proof. This is a thread about amazing coincidences experienced by people who don't ascribe any special significance to them... because it's "expected" that life will be full of little surprises and odd coincidings of events. There is more than a 99% probability that you will have a life wherein, odd coincidences occur. It would be special and mystical if you could figure out what they were in advance--without the factor of self fulfilling prophesy coming into play...but it's more likely that you will tell yourself that you "knew" X was correct after the fact--you'll remember your "premonitions" that were correct, while immediately negating all the ones that didn't turn out to be anything at all.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:31 am

I think the basis uv your objectionz iz that you're lumping this subject in with everything woo.

To clarify my response to Major: Real life can't be duplicated in a lab, but that duznt mean investigating odd events iz not a worthwhile endevour.

Lets say sum reeaaally brilliant scientist came up with a way to completely investigate any random event, including coincidences, and it iz discovered that there iz a beyond human intelligence influencing or completely controlling our livez, or perhaps a previously unsuspected natural force that skewz chance. Either rezult woud be a huge step forward.

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:25 am

JO 753 wrote:I think the basis uv your objectionz iz that you're lumping this subject in with everything woo.

To clarify my response to Major: Real life can't be duplicated in a lab, but that duznt mean investigating odd events iz not a worthwhile endevour.

Lets say sum reeaaally brilliant scientist came up with a way to completely investigate any random event, including coincidences, and it iz discovered that there iz a beyond human intelligence influencing or completely controlling our livez, or perhaps a previously unsuspected natural force that skewz chance. Either rezult woud be a huge step forward.

I agree; it could be exciting to explore it--I just think there's a human tendency to jump to false conclusions when there is no ready explanation or the explanation turns out to be mundane. People like believing they are "special"--"chosen"--part of some "higher plan" or "mystical puppet show"...

And once they start to believe such a notion, they will begin to overly notice evidence which supports that belief while ignoring that which negates it. If I wore a new pair of shoes on the day I hit the jackpot...I might conclude that it's because my shoes were lucky. If another good thing happened while wearing those shoes, I would just presume that was proof that my shoes really are lucky. If something bad happened and I wasn't wearing my shoes, I would tell myself it was BECAUSE I wasn't wearing my shoes...I wouldn't notice the good things that happened quite as readily when I was wearing other shoes...I might even tell myself, "that was a good thing, but I bet it would have been a better thing if I was wearing my lucky shoes..." Humans do that kind of thing all the time. They associate correlation with causation and that build such beliefs into truths in their head via confirmation bias. Even people who are aware that humans do so--do so. If you had a conclusion you were hoping for at the outset of your exporations--you're likely to find evidence which magically supports that very conclusion even though it most probably is nothing more than the little scenario I mentioned above.

If I found the shoes...or bought them on a whim...or had them given to me by a mysterious stranger--then I could weave an even bigger miraculous story to prove to myself that my shoes really were magical lucky shoes--and it would become increasingly impossible to sway me from such a belief no matter how much evidence later accumulated which illustrates a lucky coincidence coupled with some ready self deception....

Look at all the people on this forum who really believe some very unsupportable things...look how convinced they are on such flimsy evidence--do you believe them? Why not? Doesn't it make you extra aware of how readily people fool themselves while telling everyone how unlikely they are to be fooling themselves? I can't even understand how they can read eachothers' posts and not see themselves in the audacious claims of others. I don't know why the "Jesus guy" thinks we should believe him over the "sea serpent guys" or why the "god is energy is all" guy thinks that he's more credible than the "dead people are bugging me" lady."

Coincidence is hard to rule out--and unless you do rule it out, how can you even approach far less substantiated claims? Even memories can be false or exaggerated. I just don't like to fool myself...I don't like propping up the delusions of others. I love surprises and coincidence--but not "woo woo--you can't expect to understand it mystery". I like mysteries I can solve with certainty. Barring that, I prefer not knowing. As far as I can tell, valuable truths don't seem to stay hidden for long--and mystical truths are often just illusions.

ragman

Postby ragman » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 am

I once neglected a pumpkin in my yard and had to endure it's rotting scorn :cry:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:38 am

Did it smell az angry az it looked?

ragman

Postby ragman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:05 am

nah, don't think it's nose worked ;)

birdmcfarland

twin coincidence

Postby birdmcfarland » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:27 am

My dad used to be a high school teacher in Pennsylvania. His identical twin brother lived in Aurora, Colorado.
In the 1980s a group of recently graduated seniors from my dad's high school gave themselves a cross-country motorycycle trip as a graduation present. The group approached Loveland Pass (I think that's the name) in Colorado and stopped at the lookout area. They saw a person standing there who looked just like their high school shop teacher. They approached the guy and said "Hey Mr McFarland. What are you doing here?" You can imagine my uncle's surprise when he said "do I know you?"

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:05 am

Oh, I just remembered a good one...

For 5 consecutive days straight, I bumped into a different person I used to work with at 5 different companies. Walking down the street. Coming out of an elevator. Waiting for the same train... And they all saw me and called out first!

Five days running! Got to Thursday and I was thinking, "Who am I gonna bump into today?" I was getting a little paranoid. :)

That was a couple years ago, and I haven't bumped into a single person I've worked with since then... Wierd.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Postby Chachacha » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:15 am

Major Malfunction wrote:That was a couple years ago, and I haven't bumped into a single person I've worked with since then... Wierd.

You haven't???? Wow, that IS weird! :shock:

:P

quixote

Postby quixote » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:09 pm

There is some confusion between "coincidence" and "probability"or "likelyhood". Something happens to you, that in retrospect would have seemed unlikely or improbable... but before it happened you never even thought about it: That's not really a probability question... it would be if it had been predicted before the event
We can pick a card out of 52 in a deck - a Queen of hearts. We had a 1:52 chance of saying that would happen before taking it. Once taken, it's 1:1 (or certainty)! :)
who am i, to deny, that maybe, God is me?
Piet Hein (1905 - 1996)

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 pm

ragman wrote:I once neglected a pumpkin in my yard and had to endure it's rotting scorn :cry:

That is one pissed off squash.

I bet it was a message from the Great Pumpkin! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2txdk6sUFs

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Re: twin coincidence

Postby Articulett » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:30 pm

birdmcfarland wrote:My dad used to be a high school teacher in Pennsylvania. His identical twin brother lived in Aurora, Colorado.
In the 1980s a group of recently graduated seniors from my dad's high school gave themselves a cross-country motorycycle trip as a graduation present. The group approached Loveland Pass (I think that's the name) in Colorado and stopped at the lookout area. They saw a person standing there who looked just like their high school shop teacher. They approached the guy and said "Hey Mr McFarland. What are you doing here?" You can imagine my uncle's surprise when he said "do I know you?"

That is a great story! But this is better.

When Robert Shafran of Scarsdale started college upstate, people mistook him for a student from New Hyde Park named Eddy Galland. A friend of Galland’s learned the two men shared the same birthday and introduced them. Not only did they talk and laugh alike, they even had the same birthmarks. After hearing about the "twins’" reunion, David Kellman of Howard Beach, a Queens College freshman, contacted them. The three learned they were identical triplets who were born on July 12, 1961 and separated at birth. They later found out they had been part of a government child development study, although their adoptive parents had never been told of the existence of siblings.

http://www.newsday.com/other/special/ny ... 2911.htmls

Identical Twins have given us some amazing information about nature vs. nurture.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/twin1.htmtory

snooziums
Frequent Poster

Re: twin coincidence

Postby snooziums » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:52 am

Articulett wrote:Identical Twins have given us some amazing information about nature vs. nurture. http://science.howstuffworks.com/twin1.htmtory

Still, that is kind of scary. It took a long time for genetics to be not considered in the legal system. In the past, criminals were profiled based partly on their family history. Finally, we moved past that.

Now, with identical twins showing some "nature" as opposed to all "nurture," I worry that if one twin commits a crime, that the other will be thought to be at great risk of committing a crime and also locked up, or at least keep tracked of by the criminal system.
Reviewing the massive amount of unsubstantiated or anecdotal claims, testimony, non-validated observational data, and philosophical studies, they actually suggest the existence of such an entity as the "soul." Although it cannot be determined what it is or if it is factual or not, it is my personal belief that there may very well be something there, and that it is worth looking into.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:48 am

Cool! I just had another one!

I had a vague dream about cops last night, but I didn't remember it until I turned down a short stretch of country road on my way home. At the end of this short stretch I turn onto a nice, long, straight, wide patch of new bitumen - with a rediculously low speed limit, especially considering the condition of all the other country roads around it and their maximum speed limits. Understandably, everyone speeds down it. Even worse is, there's a spot with some roadside works where the limit is less than in town - for the worker's safety. But they all knock off early, so no-one takes any notice.

Anyway. I suddenly remember this dream, so decide I'll take it easy. At the top of this short stretch is a cop car looking right at me and indicating he's going my way. He has to give way. So this cop tails me, the only car for miles. I'm hoping he'll overtake... We crawl across the vast plains for what seems like hours, doing the rediculous speed limit. And creep, stealthily, through the works zone with no workers. We reach the intersection where I turn, and he floors it straight ahead.

Stoopid dream making me go slower! If it wasn't for that I woudna even been dust on the horizon!

Anyways. It's the second prophetic dream I've had in a month - both of which, strangely, involve driving. (The first one I dreamt my brakes failed, but actually, my clutch broke.)

I'm thinking of adding the initials PDr (Psychic Driver) to my name. :wink:

RandomWalker

Postby RandomWalker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. It has been a good read.

I'll toss mine into the pot. One of my guilty pleasures since I was in high school was reading books by Robert Anton Wilson. About six or seven years ago, I went to a villa with my family and my in-laws in Izu (an ocean resort area in Japan). It was going to be a three day affair, so I packed two books, Coincidance by R.A.W. and The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Business Stupidity in the 21st Century by Scott Adams.

Anyways, as you can imagine by the title, Wilson's book followed the theme of this thread and whether the author was serious or was just writing tongue-in-cheek, he posited that coincidences were demonstrating an "interconnectiveness" of the universe. He tied these coincidences to one of his favourite topics: quantum theory. I dove right into this book during the first part of my trip, and I don't know if it was the sun, the beer or in-laws, but the book was really starting to bother me. I had nightmares for the first two nights and by the third day, feeling really stressed, I put the book down and decided that this is not how I should be feeling during vacation and I should read something lighter.

I then picked up the second book by Scott Adams, figuring that a little Dilbert and office satire would help me relax. The Dilbert Future is not really an anthology of Adams' cartoons but really just some flippant Dave Berry type observations of office life with some panels of the Dilbert cartoons added to support his position. I was enjoying it and it was what the proverbial doctor ordered, that is until in the last two chapters where Scott Adams took an abrupt turn and started delving into quantum theory, chaos theory, and a general "interconnectiveness" of the universe as demonstrated by things like strange coincidences.

I felt ill to my stomach and immediately put the book down.

After a couple of years of gentle reflection, I realized that I bought both books over Amazon a couple years apart and that my coincidence was probably the result of a really good marketing algorithm.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Life itself is an amazing coincidence

Postby landrew » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:28 pm

The anthropic principle identifies the astounding set of special circumstances that make our existence possible. The physical properties of water and the precise distance of the earth from the sun are two examples of many such coincidences.

Some cite this as evidence of intelligent design and creation, others simply believe that if it were different, we wouldn't exist to observe it. I agree with the latter, and it also seems to square with the multiverse theory. It states that if every possible outcome of an event spawns a new universe, we could only exist on a timeline of events in which we survived and exist here to observe it.

The multiverse theory seems to lack economy, but its not a question of "where" the alternates exist, but "how" they exist, and what we see around us is "how" our particular thread of the multiverse worked out.

All the lucky accidents that kept you alive, are responsible for you being here to remember them. In the timeline where you died, you simply aren't there to observe it.

surrounded
Poster

Postby surrounded » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:59 pm

A short while after the death of Jimmy Hendrix I was listening to his last album late at night. As I was thinking about him... the thought popped into my mind "Janis (Janis Joplin) will be next" the next morning while getting ready to go to school my father mentioned to me that he heard on the news last night that Janis Joplin had died.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Postby Paul Anthony » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:16 pm

Earlier, someone mentioned street lights coming on just when he/she approached them. That happened to me, several times. I was beginning to notice it because it happened repeatedly.

But, I like to know why things happen, so I called the city department responsible for street lighting. They explained that to conserve energy on infrequently traveled roads, they equipped the lights with motion sensors. The lights are supposed to turn on when you approach them! :lol:
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:40 pm

Paul Anthony wrote:Earlier, someone mentioned street lights coming on just when he/she approached them. That happened to me, several times. I was beginning to notice it because it happened repeatedly.

But, I like to know why things happen, so I called the city department responsible for street lighting. They explained that to conserve energy on infrequently traveled roads, they equipped the lights with motion sensors. The lights are supposed to turn on when you approach them! :lol:

Some also respond to headlights because they are on light sensors...I've heard of people manipulating them with lasers from apartment windows to freak out pedestrians as they pass. Also, some turn off when they get too hot...and then turn back on when they cool...as the bulb wears out it burns hotter and turns off more frequently before it goes out all together.

But a lot people feel like it's something about their energy. Humans are an egocentric bunch. I know somebody who was convinced of such powers and I was convinced that he had such powers too. But a thread at the JREF forum disabused me of this belief I once held and enlightened me to the facts.

JO 753
Has No Life

Re: What is YOUR most extrodinary coincidence?

Postby JO 753 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:22 am

An old frend uv mine occasionally gets an idea for an invention and callz me to make a prototype.

Usually, its sumthing he needz and he duznt do much reserch to see if its available alredy.

Also, he likes the Shark Tank show and got me to watch it.

Last week he callz me with hiz latest inspiration, I find a bunch uv similar stuff on the market and frum inventorz on Youtube and we talked about it earlier tonite.
Then, I decide to send him an email explaining why 'I'm out' (a fraze they uze on the show) and get the idea to include a pik uv me az a shark!

The guy I hav in mind iz Mr Wonderful, Kevin O'Leary, while I'm writing the email & making the pik.

It turned out pretty good:
soRKJO.jpg

I really like the Shark JO pik, so I plugged the USB drive into my momz TV to show her. I turn the TV on and its on wutevr station she wuz watching last. And who iz on? Kevin !!!

It wuz LWS or LSW or sumsuch relijus station mom watchez and it wuz a live audience womanz interests type show and Kevin wuz the gest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JO 753 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:03 pm

In the UK, if you fold a £5 note in a certain way you can make an image of what looks like the Queen's bum. A good laugh for anti royalists. I demonstrated this to a friend at my house one day. He laughed so much that he spilled his coffee all over the corner of that note and a small bit of the corner came off.....but it was still usable so I used it next day to buy some coffee.

A month later, in a remote coffee shop 600 miles away on the Isle of Skye, I received that exact same bank note as change for a cup of coffee. Same crease in the corner, same coffee stain, same bit missing.

There are over a billion such bank notes in circulation.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:16 am

Last week I ordered sum super glue frum Amazon. Wuz suppoze to get here Tuezday. Friday I check the pakaj trakking & found that UPS had declared the pakaj damajd & undeliverable.

I uze super glue alot, so reordered it rite away, not expecting to get it till Monday or so. But, Amazon sed it will be delivered Sunday. Didnt believe it. Didnt care that much kuz I didnt hav an immediate need.

Yesterday, Sunday, I'm raking leavez & the handl breaks. I take it into the shop take the stub out uv the plastic rake and jam the rest rest uv the handle (long wood stik) and tie sum nylon string around the krakt up plastic to hopefully hold it together long enuf to finish getting the pile uv leavez off my driveway. But, I'm not skilled in nots, so my usual method iz to rap string around sumthing and infuze it with super glue. Works very well & in this case it woud also reinfors the plastic rake handle soket.

SO I grab the little bottle uv old super glue, hoping its still liquid enuf to at least bond the string. Nope. Just a blob uv goop. Useless.

(Finally getting to the coinsidenc/matrix/wutevr part) I toss it in the garbaj, wich iz on the other side uv the shop. Az its arking thru the air I hear sumwun nokking on the door upstairz. I figure its my customer here to pick up hiz parts, so run upstairz and open the door.

The USPS mini truk iz driving away & therez my pakaj on the step!!!

Finisht fixing the rake with the fressh super glue & finished raking the leavez.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

4jeepers+
Poster

Postby 4jeepers+ » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:15 am

my most extraordinary experience was a doozy.
last day of work for the forest service , 4 of us headed to Portland from eastern oregon to see, yes a grateful dead concert. on the way, driver went to sleep while car was going at high speed on the freeway, right at Bridal Veil. It was a horrible experience, car was totalled and smashed so we never saw it again. we all survived though myself and driver obviously concussed and in shock. ambulance came , i was lying on the side of the road and..then they left without so much as checking on us(WTF?), cop gave us a ride into the city , we checked into a cheap hotel downtown, went to the concert and somehow made it through the weekend. THEN we had to hitchike back to Eastern Oregon with our suitcases/backpacks. one ride dropped us outside of Biggs, a very barren stretch of freeway . It was a very hot September day and we were out in the middle of nowhere, standing on the freeway itself , about 1/4 -1/2 mile or so from nearest interchange, and having no luck at all.
the sun was glaring. being the idiots we were,and having left some stuff in the car when we abandoned it, we probably did not have adequate water. I was not feeling well, so I climbed down off the freeway to sit in a drainage tunnel underneath the freeway, in the shade.
after maybe half an hour or an hour, i came back up onto the road, and saw , across the east bound lanes, over in the westbound lanes, one of my best friends in the world, a wonderful older man who had gotten me the FS job and who was a good friend .A solid rancher type. he drove an older turquoise dodge truck. i said to my friends , 'wow wow there goes (name of friend) , only he is going to Portland, damn!". I watched the truck get smaller and smaller in the distance , and then i saw it exit the freeway ,drive across the overpass and then start coming our way, headed east again!
i was overcome with joy, waving and jumping as the truck approached. He saw me and of course pulled over and took the others to Pendleton and me back to Walla Walla.
I asked him what just happened and he said he was on his way home from portland and just felt like he needed to drive that stretch of road over again. When he had passed the hitchikers the first time, I had been under the road, in the culvert, so he did not see me , nor me him, and he had no intention of picking up the (other ) 3 hitchikers.
Any of you who know that stretch of freeway know that Portland to Pendleton is ,what, a six hour drive? When you drive from Portland to Pendleton you just do not decide to drive one of the most boring stretches of road imaginable over again, on a lark.
That still ranks as maybe the weirdest coincidence of my life. this was of course, long before cell phones. he did not know I was in Portland and I did not know he was traveling either.
This is a true story. I could have easily believed we somehow communicated via 'ESP' through the roadway..or it was really a marvelous coincidence. I put it in the 'life is sometimes amazing' category. also amazing was that we all did not f'king die 2 days before. be careful out there, kids!
Last edited by 4jeepers+ on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

4jeepers+
Poster

Postby 4jeepers+ » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:24 am

oh ,OK two more:
one was when i got off work at a ski area one night and was walking over to the lodge .The lodge had some big windows. for some reason i pictured that scene in every western movie where the barroom brawlers come spilling out onto the street, breaking the windows.
Just then two fighting men broke through the doors, breaking some glass on the way out.

Second one was when a boyfriend (musician) was going to play a gig with his long ago bandmates in Chicago. We were out west at the time, and i did not know Chicago. my best friends' son and his girlfriend lived in the city, and i thought it would be nice to try and visit them while we were there. i did not know where they lived or where the club was. over the phone i asked if they ever heard of the club or could find it. he said, if i move the curtain aside , i am looking directly at it. . they lived next door to the club.

that's all folks.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:00 am

Thoze are pretty good, 4jeeperz.

I hav sumthing with sigarette rolling going on now.

I posted a link in this topic to refute Gordz notion that nobody rollz their own anymore. Then yesterday a frend mentioned that hiz mom had him rolling sigz with a little machine for her wen he wuz a kid. Then I watched a documentary later about the Koch brotherz buying the Goverment in Wisconsen and a guy iz uzing a sig rolling machine while he iz being interviewed.

If I wuz encountering sig rolling in any form all the time, this woudnt be unusual, but I dont recall seeing or hearing about it since the mid or late 90z.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:19 pm

I feel that it is extraordinary that I was born into this body. The odds were huge against that happening. /smug
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Your comprehension uv wut constitutes a coinsidens needz revision.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:43 pm

With cigarettes at over £8 for 20, a lot of UK smokers roll their own (and a lot always have). See - that's what comes of living in poverty-stricken Western Europe.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Poodle wrote:With cigarettes at over £8 for 20, a lot of UK smokers roll their own (and a lot always have). See - that's what comes of living in poverty-stricken Western Europe.

The place where I buy my incense also sells tobacco products and batteries. Half of the store is filled with colorful vases(?) and other decorative glass, and also knifes. But a large section is for the "roll 'em or stuff 'em yourself" items. The poor guys who buy cigars apparently have to hide in a closet in the back.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:35 am

Poodle wrote:With cigarettes at over £8 for 20, a lot of UK smokers roll their own (and a lot always have). See - that's what comes of living in poverty-stricken Western Europe.

That IS an extrodinary coincidence!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:48 am

Yesterday I was really tired, and I went to turn off the tv but accidentally turned off the light switch instead. But the tv turned off too! First I wondered why the light turned off. :heh: Then I realized I'd made a mistake...but then I wondered, why did the tv turn off?!

Then the tv turned back on again.

So I laughed, turned it off, and went to bed.

I still don't know why the tv turned off and on yesterday.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:12 pm

You mite hav a bad lite swich or a loose wire. You shoud open the cover and look.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Fluorescent lights can emit infrared wavelengths in the same frequency as remote controls. I used to have a desk lamp that did genie {!#%@} with my stereo.

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”