What is YOUR most extrodinary coincidence?

How should we think about weird things?
Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:40 am

MajorityofOne wrote:I saw on CNN or some news program yesterday that there's a chocolate statue of the virgin mary at Ghirradelli or somewhere out in California, I don't remember where, that "appeared" from the chocolate pouring machine. People were praying too it and stuff. Amazing. People will see hidden "messages" and "meanings" in all sorts of stuff.

The human brain has evolved to find meaning--science evolved to weed out true meanings from human fancy.

Now, I know you can't share your amazing coincidences due to your fame and/or infamy --but maybe you can change details and places and so forth.

I, too, try to be cautious, so as not to inadvertantly give details to one who might stalk. Of course, having shared an amazing coincidence of my own, I now run the risk that my stepmother might learn that I refer to her as "nubby" behind her back.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Postby Chachacha » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:51 am

The local news was absolutely hysterical. They showed the chocolate from different angles for what seemed several minutes and one news anchor said to the other two,

"See it??"
"Do you see it?"
"Do you see it yet?"
"See it?"
"You don't see it?"
"Do you see it now?"
"I can't believe you can't see it."
"Do you see it now?"
"Are you kidding me - you really don't see it?"

No matter how many times they said, "No." He just kept asking!!!

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:45 am

Paul Anthony wrote:
Doctor X wrote:So is anyone going to eat her?

--J.D.

I would!

No, I'm not in the habit of eating virgins. But, she's CHOCOLATE!!! :lol:

I don't think she's a virgin anymore; David Cross says she raped him.
http://www.infidelguy.com/modules.php?n ... ideo_id=15

MajorityofOne
Regular Poster

Postby MajorityofOne » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:42 pm

Articulett wrote:
Now, I know you can't share your amazing coincidences due to your fame and/or infamy --but maybe you can change details and places and so forth.

I, too, try to be cautious, so as not to inadvertantly give details to one who might stalk. Of course, having shared an amazing coincidence of my own, I now run the risk that my stepmother might learn that I refer to her as "nubby" behind her back.

Fame / infamy....it can certainly be said to cut both ways. Anyway, I was trying to be ironic. However, I was so ironic I was moronic! Oh man, I crack myself up!

Anyway, I can be vague since ya'll are interested.

For years I had an email address that had a number in it -- a number I came up with using my "lucky" number and my boyfriend's jersey number (he was a professional hockey player). Anyway, I had this number for years. It is now the last four numbers in the zip code where I live. I thought that was strange.

Also, I was sitting in the break room at work (I now work at a huge hospital that's 300 times the size of the one I used to work at) and there was this lady at another table. She looked at me and me at her and we went back to minding our own business. Soon I looked up her again and she was looking at me again. She said "do I know you? You look familiar." And I said, "You look familar to me as well." We started going over everything and everywhere we could possibly know each other. Anyway, we finally came up with a small town in Ga where my mother now lives. I haven't been there since I was 15 but she was also from this same small town. We both thought this was an amazing coincidence, but this bothered me because I kept thinking I haven't been there is so long and I looked different and she'd have to have looked different as well. SO ANYWAY, later that week, we saw each other in the grocery store. We live in the same neighborhood and shop at the same grocery store and had probably just seen each other there. Weird huh!
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
- Galileo Galilei

Faith: believing in s**t you know ain't true.
George Carlin

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Postby Paul Anthony » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:40 pm

Here's another weird coincidence.

When we moved from California to Arizona and met our new next-door neighbors, we learned that they would be moving in a month - to California. Just to make conversation, we asked where in California (it's a big state). They were relocating to the city where my wife's sister lives, so we asked them the address. Their new home was next door to my sister-in-law! Since I'm not religious, I didn't consider this a miracle. But since they would be living next door to my in-laws, I prayed for them anyway. :)
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

mindwalkernine

Postby mindwalkernine » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:11 am

Back in my pot smoking days I bought this cool brass pipe called a proto pipe. I went out and partied with a couple of friends from work. I gave the pipe to one of them, but never returned to work and left town due to another story. Several months passed.

I had took my backpack and went hitchhiking. I left Eugene, Oregon and travelled to Bellingham, WA. While walking around in a philisophical muse I spied a beautiful girl sitting by a stream running through the middle of town. I stepped down the rocks and began talking to her. She was receptive to my interest, but told me her boyfriend would be back from the store with some beer.

When he got back, we all started talking about pot like stoners all do. He proudly brought out a brass pipe to show it off to me. I told him I had left one with a friend just like it in Oregon. His brother had given it to him. His brother was my friend. It was the same pipe.

I was pretty dissapointed he didn't give me the pipe back.

Beleth
Frequent Poster

Postby Beleth » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:19 am

My brother, Steve, married a woman named Jennifer.
One of my best friends in high school, Steve, married a woman named Jennifer.
One of my best friends in college, Steve, married a woman named...

wait for it...

Jennifer.
"Beleth thinks with beauty."
-- brainfart

snooziums
Frequent Poster

Postby snooziums » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:40 am

Interesting stories.

*sigh* I have one, however I better not post it, it is way too "out there" and kind of emotional. (Although it shows the ending of my being part of the Christian religion).
Reviewing the massive amount of unsubstantiated or anecdotal claims, testimony, non-validated observational data, and philosophical studies, they actually suggest the existence of such an entity as the "soul." Although it cannot be determined what it is or if it is factual or not, it is my personal belief that there may very well be something there, and that it is worth looking into.

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:39 am

mindwalkernine wrote:Back in my pot smoking days I bought this cool brass pipe called a proto pipe. I went out and partied with a couple of friends from work. I gave the pipe to one of them, but never returned to work and left town due to another story. Several months passed.

I had took my backpack and went hitchhiking. I left Eugene, Oregon and travelled to Bellingham, WA. While walking around in a philisophical muse I spied a beautiful girl sitting by a stream running through the middle of town. I stepped down the rocks and began talking to her. She was receptive to my interest, but told me her boyfriend would be back from the store with some beer.

When he got back, we all started talking about pot like stoners all do. He proudly brought out a brass pipe to show it off to me. I told him I had left one with a friend just like it in Oregon. His brother had given it to him. His brother was my friend. It was the same pipe.

I was pretty dissapointed he didn't give me the pipe back.

That's really cool. And I bet it was extra trippy given that you were stoned...which gives everything an aura of "amazingness" anyhow. And if you hadn't been stoned you could have manipulated him to giving you the pipe back--you could have said, "oh wow...I dreamt this...I was visualizing my long lost pipe and a voice told me I'd get it back...and here you are...thanks so much dude--did, like, some angel send you?!?"

ed
Poster

Postby ed » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:52 am

Well, one time I dealt out all 52 cards from a deck. The odds of getting the sequence of cards that I dealt was 1:52! which is amazing.

I think it was paranormal.
"... they are mainly a series of exceptions to some undiscoverable rule."
-- T. E. Lawrence (on the design of Crusader castles which has a remarkable applicability to paranormal phenomena)

mindwalkernine

Postby mindwalkernine » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:59 pm

Articulett wrote:That's really cool. And I bet it was extra trippy given that you were stoned...which gives everything an aura of "amazingness" anyhow.

Yes, it was amazing. And, considering these types of coincidences have occurred several times in my life and that I was not raised as a Skeptic, it took awhile to disband nonsense beliefs. When you have faith in supernatural ideas of any kind and objective phenomena coincides like our examples, it can be very convincing that something spiritual is really happening. Unfortunately, several coincidences stagnated me from Skepticism, but fortunately they also spurred a fire to think about them more and understand why they did occur w/o objective cause. Finally, I am here. As a Skeptic, I have not experienced the world ever before in such a clear way. The magic is gone, but things are no less exciting, actually more so.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:16 pm

Ed. Check your math on that one.

ed
Poster

Postby ed » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:38 pm

JO 753 wrote:Ed. Check your math on that one.

1:52!=1:52*51*50*...*1

no?

JJM
Veteran Poster

Postby JJM » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:40 pm

This morning I was thinking about my friend, Viki, whom I have not seen in 18 years. The phone rang- and it was my brother asking me to come get him because he ran out of gas!! That's amazing- I was thinking of Viki, and Michael called!? He doesn't even know Viki. How odd is that?!

I think there is rational literature on "coincidence," and irrational literature (most recently, Dipstick Chopra). I have little interest in this; but, doesn't somebody have the cites? I recall Feynman quoted (something like): "I just parked next to a car with plate number CMV-656, how likely is that?"

St. Jimmy
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: ghostbuster

Postby St. Jimmy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:22 pm

Today I discovered that one of the teachers accompanying a group of students (myself included) to Poland (where we will be visiting Auschwitz, and unfortunately I will be unable to relate any of it due to new forum rules in the History-WW2 forum-subforum) this week (the polish language teacher, as it happens) lives on the same street as I do and walks her dog past my front gate every day, and we hadn't even noticed. Seems less amazing when you consider I had never really met her properly until last week, and add to that the fact that I just moved to this street. However, this particular coicidence is useful, because it means I can give her a ride to the where the bus is leaving from.

Is this a sign from God for me to learn Polish?
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

ed
Poster

Postby ed » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:10 pm

I had my downspouts fixed this past friday. Today it is raining!!!
"... they are mainly a series of exceptions to some undiscoverable rule."

-- T. E. Lawrence (on the design of Crusader castles which has a remarkable applicability to paranormal phenomena)

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:01 am

mindwalkernine wrote:
Articulett wrote:That's really cool. And I bet it was extra trippy given that you were stoned...which gives everything an aura of "amazingness" anyhow.

Yes, it was amazing. And, considering these types of coincidences have occurred several times in my life and that I was not raised as a Skeptic, it took awhile to disband nonsense beliefs. When you have faith in supernatural ideas of any kind and objective phenomena coincides like our examples, it can be very convincing that something spiritual is really happening. Unfortunately, several coincidences stagnated me from Skepticism, but fortunately they also spurred a fire to think about them more and understand why they did occur w/o objective cause. Finally, I am here. As a Skeptic, I have not experienced the world ever before in such a clear way. The magic is gone, but things are no less exciting, actually more so.

But I get a kick of knowing how I tricked my self in the past. The pipe thing would have been a true coincidence if you had been mentioning your pipe and thinking about it...but it was just one of the gazillion coincidence that happens in a lifetime and this one stands out because it has meaning to you. We notice the "hits" and don't count all the times when we waited for a pipe and it was just a pipe...or a toilet paper tube with foil...ha!

Humans evolved to notice patterns and meaning and coincidences and to see faces and animals in clouds, water stains, etc. It's funny when we flip it around and believe they are outside messages to us or about us instead of inside recognition that we are privvy to because of our brains. We do that with religion too--we feel, we exist because we were meant to--toddlers don't even know any world existed before them...or that their parents were kids once...we feel like the world was made to have us in it. But, theoretically my dog good come to the same conclusion. It seems like the world was made especially for us...rather than the truth--humans evolved to fit in this world...as did cockroaches...and e. coli...and sharks--etc.

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:13 am

JJM wrote:This morning I was thinking about my friend, Viki, whom I have not seen in 18 years. The phone rang- and it was my brother asking me to come get him because he ran out of gas!! That's amazing- I was thinking of Viki, and Michael called!? He doesn't even know Viki. How odd is that?!

I think there is rational literature on "coincidence," and irrational literature (most recently, Dipstick Chopra). I have little interest in this; but, doesn't somebody have the cites? I recall Feynman quoted (something like): "I just parked next to a car with plate number CMV-656, how likely is that?"

Dipstick Chopra...(tee hee)--I adore Feynman...I should see if that other dipstick, Van Pragh, can channel him--

There are some good books on the subject--I recommend a new one called Don't Believe Everything you Think by Thomas Kida, Irrationality by Stuart Sutherland, Influence by Cialdini, Why We Lie by David Livingston Smith and Fooled by Randomness by someone with a foreign sounding name. And the quotes from readers in Sagan's Demon Haunted World are priceless illustrations--he doesn't even bother commenting on them--he just prints them...and it sort of leads you to your own conclusions as to how readily people fool themselves...or gravitate towards particular beliefs rather then test the facts or the null hypothesis.

And James Randi is a gem too--he is fabulous at illustrating how very easy it is to fool even very smart people. The Amazing Meeting (TAM) in January of each year is a fun fun skeptic event with magicians and scientists and other skeptical sorts sharing their anecdotes and skills with impressive skills. I highly recommend it.

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:16 am

JO 753 wrote:Ed. Check your math on that one.

the exclamation point was mathematical not grammatical, but in the sentence you could read it either way.

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:19 am

St. Jimmy wrote:
Is this a sign from God for me to learn Polish?

I'd say it's a sign for you to promptly forget any off-color Polish jokes that may be lurking in your mental crannies from All in the Family Episodes and the like...

(or maybe it's a sign for me to do that...)

snooziums
Frequent Poster

Postby snooziums » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:00 am

mater deum wrote:I hope snooziums posts her story. I want to hear it. Pleeeease!

Hmm... I am not sure about that. It is a "miracle" where the chances of it happening are about a million to one, at least, yet it happened to me. Plus, it reveals some things about me.

However, it was the final straw that made me realize that religion is a bad thing.

----

But, on a lighter note:

I just realized something. WHen I was a kid, I used to say that the world would end on a Friday. I said that because it was the last school day, and what worse time for the world to end then right before a weekend. However, I said it all in fun.

Some time later, I started to hear more about the "end of the world" in 2012 (which I have a hard time believing, but who knows?). Later, I was told that this "end date" was the winter solstice, or December 23rd, 2012.

Well, I looked it up, and that day falls on a Friday!
Reviewing the massive amount of unsubstantiated or anecdotal claims, testimony, non-validated observational data, and philosophical studies, they actually suggest the existence of such an entity as the "soul." Although it cannot be determined what it is or if it is factual or not, it is my personal belief that there may very well be something there, and that it is worth looking into.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster

Postby Paul Anthony » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:16 am

snooziums wrote:
Some time later, I started to hear more about the "end of the world" in 2012 (which I have a hard time believing, but who knows?). Later, I was told that this "end date" was the winter solstice, or December 23rd, 2012.

Well, I looked it up, and that day falls on a Friday!

It also falls exactly 2 weeks BEFORE I would finally be eligible to collect Social Security that I've been paying into forever!

If there is a God, he has a warped sense of irony. :lol:
Make sense, not war.

St. Jimmy
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: ghostbuster

Postby St. Jimmy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:44 pm

Articulett wrote:
I'd say it's a sign for you to promptly forget any off-color Polish jokes that may be lurking in your mental crannies from All in the Family Episodes and the like...

At least I'm not going with a German passport like one guy in our group... whose best friend (who almost came with us) is Russian...
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

time traveler

Postby time traveler » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:48 am

how about it's all about probability and simply what sticks in our mind, how many times do we look at our watch and notice what time it is but we PERCIEVE or at least I do, I percieve i always seem to look at the time when it falls on a significant number, like I always seem to look at the clock when its on 7:29, which is my birthday, I don't - but I percieve I do, the other number is 9:11, most of the good sitcoms come on at 9 in America (for you foreigners) and I always seem to glance at the clock when its 9:11, I probably looked at it when it said 9:23 but I seem to think I ALWAYS glance at the clock when it says 9:11, as if my mind senses a significant date is being represented on the clock and nudges me to look, when in fact it's mostly bad timing, coincidence or am too high to remember looking at the clock when it said 10:30 or 5:45 or how about this, 4:20, ha

Im sure this one happens to alot of people though. It's spooky, not the fact that I see significant numbers on the clock, but our mind is built and evolved to fool us into sensing significance in mundane things, like is that a remnant or what is the biology behind that, why do we do that?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:02 am

Just had a funny idea about the exclamation point notation.

Suppoze the same question came up on a quiz show. If the contestant exclaimed the answer "1:52!", he'd be rite, but if he just stated it "1:52." he'd be rong! And it woud be extra hard on Jeapordy since everything haz to be in the form uv a question.

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:48 am

JO 753 wrote:Just had a funny idea about the exclamation point notation.

Suppoze the same question came up on a quiz show. If the contestant exclaimed the answer "1:52!", he'd be rite, but if he just stated it "1:52." he'd be rong! And it woud be extra hard on Jeapordy since everything haz to be in the form uv a question.

that's deep.

HghrSymmetry
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: ViewClearerFromAbove

Postby HghrSymmetry » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:55 am

Deep what?

Psy-Sky

Postby Psy-Sky » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:09 pm

Lets see. I was just getting out of bed one morning and this voice said plainly in my ear "August 10". So being the eternal optimist I thought. 'Oh great, something really good will happen on 8-10.' Was I asleep, dreaming or did I hear a voice. None, or all who knows.

I get a letter from my home office a few weeks later saying that I better straighten my @ss up by 8-11 or I'll be terminated. Well I had no intention of rearranging my buttocks and I hated the place so it was good news to me. So I forgave the voice for missing by a day and not for being something really great like winning the lottery or something BUT>>>>

My boss got antsy and fired me on 8-10. He was amazed I already had my personal longings packed up. (I did it just in case the voice was right and it was)

psy

HghrSymmetry
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: ViewClearerFromAbove

Postby HghrSymmetry » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:48 am

Impressive tale Psy.

When the multi state Power ball lottery grows to massive proportions,...see if you can goad the voice into giving you the correct numbers before the draw.

Should brighten your day.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:00 am

You must be a Mr. Boffo fan, Psy.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster

Postby Paul Anthony » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:19 am

Okay, one more...

About 8 years ago I was going through a "rough patch". I kicked around from one crummy job to another until I finally found one I could tolerate. After I'd been there about a year, I ran into someone I hadn't seen in a while and he offered me a job. I politely turned him down, because I wasn't looking for a job - I was happy where I was. The next day, I bumped into another old aquaintance who also offered me a job. Two days later I met someone new who offered me another job. I was beginning to see a pattern and was getting a little freaked out about it.

The next day my boss told me Corporate was closing our office, and I was being transferred to Orem, Utah. The only thing I knew about Orem, Utah was that there were a whole lot of Mormons there and I didn't want to live with them! But I didn't have to, because I had three new jobs to pick from!

P.S. - I chose one of the three, and I've been there ever since.
Make sense, not war.

Psy-Sky

Postby Psy-Sky » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:53 am

brooklyn44 wrote:When my husband and I were first married we were both from families that kept kashruth (orthodox Jewish dietary laws). Neither of us had ever eaten liverwurst and as far as I remember we never had a discussion about that traife food product. One day I bought some liverwurst at the local deli and tried it. I wasn't so crazy about it and I can't say what prompted me to order it.
That very same evening my husband came home from work and told me that "he experimented" and ordered a ilverwurst sandwich for lunch.[

When I was married whatever I made for dinner, my husband had already had it for lunch. It happened at least twice a week or so.

NoLeDeMiel

Postby NoLeDeMiel » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:20 am

sciwoman wrote:
Articulett wrote:
sciwoman wrote:About five years ago my password to get online was NJZ698. About a month after I started using that password, I had to get a new car tag and the number was....you guessed it....NJZ 698.

That's a great one! And if you didn't understand that humans have evolved to recognize meaning and there will be an infinite amount of coincidences in the universe--then you could extrapolate that there was a hidden directive in the experience.

Sadly, too many people DO see such experiences as hidden directives and try to use them to "discover the will of God."

I know, it's pathetic when all those idiots see an apple fall out of a tree and are all like, "hmmm, maybe some hidden power is telling me that jumping off tall buildings would be a bad idea."

NoLeDeMiel

Postby NoLeDeMiel » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:37 pm

time traveler wrote:how about it's all about probability and simply what sticks in our mind, how many times do we look at our watch and notice what time it is but we PERCIEVE or at least I do, I percieve i always seem to look at the time when it falls on a significant number, like I always seem to look at the clock when its on 7:29, which is my birthday, I don't - but I percieve I do, the other number is 9:11, most of the good sitcoms come on at 9 in America (for you foreigners) and I always seem to glance at the clock when its 9:11, I probably looked at it when it said 9:23 but I seem to think I ALWAYS glance at the clock when it says 9:11, as if my mind senses a significant date is being represented on the clock and nudges me to look, when in fact it's mostly bad timing, coincidence or am too high to remember looking at the clock when it said 10:30 or 5:45 or how about this, 4:20, ha

Im sure this one happens to alot of people though. It's spooky, not the fact that I see significant numbers on the clock, but our mind is built and evolved to fool us into sensing significance in mundane things, like is that a remnant or what is the biology behind that, why do we do that?

I think it was a useful mechanism back before we had already learned everything there was to know about reality and stuff. I mean, we know there is a connection between something going up and something coming down, but had our brains not had that tendency to seeking significance we never would have even asked what that connection may be. Of course, now that we have a complete understanding of everything, that mechanism is the mental equivalent of the appendix.

I'm thinking we'll eventually evolve past it. Although, there are a still significant number of people on this earth who, don't believe, but accept as self-evident fact, the interconnectedness of all things. Now, if we didn't already know that this hallucinatory perception was induced by some as-yet, unidentified debilitating mental illness, we might find it reasonable to assume that endeavoring to understand what ties two events of subjective significance together may uncover some bit of knowledge that could be quite useful in our own lives or maybe even towards some revelation about hitherto undiscovered forces that shape our reality. But of course, since there is obviously no causal link between what we know to be pure coincidences (or hitherto undiscovered forces force that matter), there is absolutely nothing whatsoever to be gained from this appendicitis of the mind.

gr8hands
Poster

Postby gr8hands » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:52 pm

Coicidence 1: On a whim, I went to the Smithsonian museum one day while I was living near Washington DC, and on the trip, I lamented to someone that I was traveling alone and didn't know anyone. At the museum I happened to meet someone I knew from a small town on the other side of the country, who had been on vacation and on a whim decided to go to the Smithsonian museum.

Coincidence 2: I had just arrived in a new city, and in discussing astronomy with a new acquaintance (who also was new to the city) came across a disagreement about the distance of Bernard's Star to the Earth. Since the library happened to be only a short distance away, we went there. We found an astronomy book, and there was a bookmark in it. Opening to the bookmark, it was on Barnard's Star. Checking with the librarian, the book was new and had never been checked out.

Strange, but not mystical.
Opportunity knocks, but it won't kick down the door.
A great idea will fail if nobody gets behind it, but even a mediocre idea will succeed if everyone gets behind it.
Remember, most of what "everybody knows" is wrong.
Trust, as appropriate, but ask for verification.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:32 am

You say 'strange but not mystical'. This iz not a useful perspective.

It iz evidence uv something going on. Not proof, but how many strange events woud it take till you begin to consider the possibilty that something really iz going on?

I'm not saying you immedietly hav to believe in God or syncronicity or Karma the 1st time something weird happenz to you, but to completely dismiss everything az random chance woud be pretty dum after a while.

gr8hands
Poster

Postby gr8hands » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:16 am

JO 753 -- If these kinds of things kept happening, I would start to use the scientific method to analyze them.

I would take notes, annotating the events, along with all the other non-coincidental events, to see just how often they all occurred. I might have to hire someone to follow me around with a video camera, so that I wouldn't accidentally ignore things due to confirmation bias.

I would look to see if there were some natural explanation for the phenomona -- the street lights always turn on when I walk by them (but I only walk at dusk, when they are naturally turning on).

In all likelihood, I would discover that these things happen extremely rarely, but stand out in my mind as happening more frequently than they really do.
Opportunity knocks, but it won't kick down the door.

A great idea will fail if nobody gets behind it, but even a mediocre idea will succeed if everyone gets behind it.

Remember, most of what "everybody knows" is wrong.

Trust, as appropriate, but ask for verification.

jr_G-man

Postby jr_G-man » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:18 pm

In my younger days, I was contemplating going into either the Navy or the Air Force. While riding around in my car thinking about it, I came upon a work of graffiti that someone had written in support of a football game...that said "Go Navy!".

So, I did.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:00 am

Now herez a man who takes 'go with the flow seriously'! You gotta admire that.

But the important question, jr, iz: Did it work?

Gr8. So the evil spirit thats been ruining your life haz it pretty eazy. He knowz he can get away with lets say 5 mistakes per year and you wont investigate.

OR

The Matrix computer can economize on programming time & storage space by reusing alot uv elements bekuz the humanz wont take much notice. They will just dismiss it all az coincidence.

pacha3
Poster

Postby pacha3 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:55 pm

JO 753 wrote:Now herez a man who takes 'go with the flow seriously'! You gotta admire that.

But the important question, jr, iz: Did it work?

Gr8. So the evil spirit thats been ruining your life haz it pretty eazy. He knowz he can get away with lets say 5 mistakes per year and you wont investigate.

OR

The Matrix computer can economize on programming time & storage space by reusing alot uv elements bekuz the humanz wont take much notice. They will just dismiss it all az coincidence.

Lol :lol:

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”