What is YOUR most extrodinary coincidence?

How should we think about weird things?
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What is YOUR most extrodinary coincidence?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:10 pm

JO 753 wrote:Bad lojik.

Failure to count the infinitely vaster number uv non-coincidental occuransez.

Example: A man sez "hit in the hed by a meteor" and within secondz gets killed by a meteor to the skull. Your coinsidensez are happening all the time premis iz ignoring the 7.5 billion peepl who didnt say "hit in the hed by a meteor" that moment AND the millionz uv moments in that manz life wen he didnt say "hit in the hed by a meteor".

You're denying the experience of victims who have been hit in the head by a meteor and didn't ask for it.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:20 pm

No I'm not! Therez no coinsidens involved.

Even if its suddenly raining meteorz and millionz uv peepl are getting bonked, Therez still the 1 guy with the coinsidens and the vast amount uv time this never happened.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:38 pm

I find it a remarkable coincidence that on the same day 62,979,636 get picked the wrong candidate.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:08 pm

JO 753 wrote:Bad lojik.

Failure to count the infinitely vaster number uv non-coincidental occuransez.

Example: A man sez "hit in the hed by a meteor" and within secondz gets killed by a meteor to the skull. Your coinsidensez are happening all the time premis iz ignoring the 7.5 billion peepl who didnt say "hit in the hed by a meteor" that moment AND the millionz uv moments in that manz life wen he didnt say "hit in the hed by a meteor".

Um, no? A man who says "hit in the head by a meteor" and within seconds is hit in the head by a meteor is still a coincidence (unless someone heard him and directed a meteor at him; but how would you do that? a meteor is by definition the visible passage of a glowing meteoroid, micrometeoroid, comet or asteroid through Earth's atmosphere, after being heated to incandescence by collisions with air molecules in the upper atmosphere, creating a streak of light via its rapid motion and sometimes also by shedding glowing material in its wake).

For instance, the asteroid belt is so vast that the largest of its asteroids can expect to be hit by a smaller asteroid roughly every 10,000,000 years. Having something happen to you that would only happen once every 10,000,000 years ought to seem like an enormous coincidence, and yet such collisions have happened in the past and will happen in the future.

Coincidences happen all the time, but you just don't tend to notice them or think anything of them unless they directly impact upon what you're thinking about.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Um yes! I think we're on the same paje about the definition uv coinsidens. My contention iz that the continuous occurans uv extreem coinsidensez iz not a basis to eliminate the possibility that they arent coinsidensez.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Bart Stewart
Regular Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:48 pm

Five pages of coincidence stories on this forum (some pretty amazing) speaks to how often these things happen. Everybody has such stories.

This is a pretty old thread; I don't remember if I ever told any of mine. Once when I was a kid my Dad was driving down a country road and saw a box turtle crossing the lane in front of him. He thought he would stop and pick it up and bring it to me as a pet. When he pulled over and walked back to the turtle he saw that on its shell someone had painted the name "Bart."

True story. I told that story to a Hindu chick once and she immediately wanted to have sex with me.

Here's one that seems even less likely to be real. I had a dream once that I was driving a car next to a body of water, and there in the water keeping pace with me was this tiny submarine. It looked just like a real Navy sub, with a conning tower and the whole bit, but it was not even ten feet long. In the dream I said to myself, "That's not even big enough to hold one man!" The very next day I was walking through town and the Navy had a model of a submarine on display, I guess as a recruiting device. It was the same size and shape as what I had dreamt about the night before. I truly do not believe I had any advance knowledge that this model submarine was around.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:04 pm

JO 753 wrote:Um yes! I think we're on the same paje about the definition uv coinsidens. My contention iz that the continuous occurans uv extreem coinsidensez iz not a basis to eliminate the possibility that they arent coinsidensez.

Ummm no. There is no elimination of possibility in my statements. I'm simply pointing out that you can't dismiss the possibility of coincidence, particularly of an event that must eventually occur randomly given enough time, just because it happens to make an impression upon you.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:59 am

Um OK. We hav no disagreement.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:05 am

I said Trump would win and he did
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Re:

Postby Angel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Poodle wrote:
jamesrav wrote:... who is to say these incredibly unlikely events aren't meant to show us (in an obscure way) that we are part of someone's game ...

No one. But why practice paranoia if it isn't really necessary?

You have a 50/50 chance of being
born into a family & society that is either
a joke or an army . I got both.
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:33 pm

I think the biggest coincidence ever in my life happened tonight.

I was on a date with a lovely lass. We went to a restaurant she chose, sat down, looked at the menu, and a guy leans over from the next table and taps me on the shoulder...

It's my cousin I haven't seen in years. We grew up together like brothers. With his wife and kids, down from the country for a weekend in town.

What are the {!#%@} odds???

I just can't
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Ran into my best friend from high school at N'Gorongoro Crater. Both of us were on unplanned side trips while touring Africa.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:06 pm

On leave from the military after only 3 years of service, I went with my friend to his home town in cleveland. We went to a popular bar that night. My friend started hitting on the girl that happened to be to his right. She said: "Tommy....I'm your sister."

Ha, ha. He said: "I thought you looked familiar." Thereafter, Tommy flew airplanes in Vietnam and somehow avoided getting shot down.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Ran into my best friend from high school at N'Gorongoro Crater. Both of us were on unplanned side trips while touring Africa.

That's happened to a couple of my mates. They weren't friends, but knew each other in our close social circle. They were each good mates of me and my best mate. Both touring Europe independently at the same time, unbeknownst to each other. Crossing a street from opposite sides, met in the middle, and were like... Hey! I know you!

Come to think of it, I've met a few others in extraordinary coincidences... All in the same bar. Perhaps it's a nexus of probability? It's an Irish bar after all. And, you know, luck of the Irish.

First one was my very first date after divorce. And the most terrifying. I'd been out of the scene for 15 years. So I take this lovely red-haired lass to the only pub I knew had some live music. We're standing at the bar, having a pint and chatting away, and in walks my ex-girlfriend from right before my marriage. We'd never been there together before. She was crazy. Which is probably why I married my wife. Because compared to her, she seemed less crazy. But I was wrong.

I'm ashamed to say, I took my date by the shoulders, turned her to face the threat, and crouched down behind her using her as a human shield while I made my escape to the door undetected. We didn't have a second date.

Next was my best childhood neighbour friend I grew up with. But they were showing some big-screen sports event, and he liked sports. I don't. I was just there for the beer. One of his sports mates suggested going there. Not quite like bumping into each other at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. But still... In a city of 4 million people, 20 years later...

And then, on another date (I've seriously lost count of how many dates I've had now. I dunno. Triple figures), best mate from an old job walks in with his new date and leans on the bar next to me. Not really surprising if you consider we went there every Friday after work together, but it was the first time he'd been there for years and was just passing by with a thirst. Have a look at the old stomping-grounds.

So we had a double date, and fun was had by all. 'Twas a good night.

So there. I think that brings me up to date with all my extraordinary coincidences for now. I'll keep you posted. But don't hold your breath.

I think Bobbo's story is either pure BS, beer goggles, or 'Merica! Or all of the above.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:I think Bobbo's story is either pure BS, beer goggles, or 'Merica! Or all of the above.

I'm going with beer goggles and 'Merica, solely because of the vast number of previously unknown relatives I've discovered in adulthood. Suffice it to say that I don't dare date anyone within 15 miles without first getting a comprehensive family history, and that the terms "brother from another mother" and "sister from another mister" are used with some regularity when introducing relatives in this neck of the woods. :shockd:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:05 pm

I had a dream showing Michael Jackson's death on the news....as typical of my precognitive dreams I knew he would be dead within 3 months ...and he was...I watched the same info on the news that was in my dream........I had a dream of a friend from out of town visiting and us sitting in the hotel lobby talking.....was the only time she visited...as typical of my precog dreams I knew she would visit within 3 months....and she did...we talked in the hotel lobby...my dad had invisible visitors when in the hospital....I knew he would die within a few days....visits happen close to death ...and he did die within a few days....my grandmother had a visit by my dead dad and I knew she would die within a few days.....and she did....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm

seems I already posted about M. Jackson...so another.....I had a strong pain in my chest....I had a vivid dream of me in the bathroom with a couple of beings behind me...(never saw them ).....they were pulsating strong vibrating energy through my body.....they told me my recent negative thoughts caused the pain...I woke in the morning feeling great... ex father in law of a relative was visited by his dead siblings in the hospital....I knew he would die within a few days...and he did...

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 am

The instant I saw the title of this thread, I experience precognition that gorgeous would spew logorrhea in here...and it came true.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:11 am

Predicting a constant.......... doesn't really count.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:33 am

:lol:

And I'm having a deja woo wondering about extreme gullibility and "visitors"...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:41 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Predicting a constant.......... doesn't really count.

No, but having a sense of humor counts for a lot. Sometimes, it's the only thing that keeps us from running amok.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:30 am

Most of Gorgeous' posts make me smile. It has to be performance art like Andy Kaufman...always in character but nobody could be that nuts?

................................ actually, I always smile. So much quicker than reading past the first phrase or maybe whole sentence.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:07 am

IDK, I've met some amazingly nutty people in my lifetime. Some were harmless enough to make me smile; others made me smile only to disarm them while I backed away.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:45 am

Gord wrote:I don't have one of those microwaves that turn the food. I have to sit inside it and turn the food myself.
Thanks, Gord for the post...:
...Major Malfunction

Why are you reading posts from 2½ years ago, Maj. Mal.? :?
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:02 am

Well... It's really not hard to fathom...

I had an extraordinary coincidence, I remembered there was a thread about that here, and I wanted to tell someone who might even give half a {!#%@}, so I dug up the corpse, and while I was doing that I noticed that little gem that relates to your recently deceased bing oven, had a chuckle, and gave it back.

Did you end up getting a new microwave?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:18 am

LunaNik wrote:IDK, I've met some amazingly nutty people in my lifetime. Some were harmless enough to make me smile; others made me smile only to disarm them while I backed away.

Yeah. Walking home from the station last night, I saw a guy staggering towards me, obviously shitfaced drunk. I didn't want to have to interact with any humans, and I had to cross the street at some point, so I crossed the street. Then he starts yelling at me across the street, telling me I don't need to be afraid of him.

I just thought he should be afraid of me, and kept walking.

Don't look them in the eyes. Do not engage. Make as much space as possible between you and them, and never show fear.

The crazy is everywhere.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:08 am

Oy That was you, mate?
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:41 am

*walking*

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:26 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Well... It's really not hard to fathom...

I had an extraordinary coincidence, I remembered there was a thread about that here, and I wanted to tell someone who might even give half a {!#%@}, so I dug up the corpse, and while I was doing that I noticed that little gem that relates to your recently deceased bing oven, had a chuckle, and gave it back.

Did you end up getting a new microwave?

I forgot to mention, I fixed it by plugging it into a different wall outlet. Apparently it was the socket that got fried, not the microwave.

Stupid lightning. Does nothing work properly around here anymore?!
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:53 am

Now your house is going to burn down. You guys over the really need stronger electrical regulations *ahem* and guns

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:33 pm

real experiences ,idiots

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:04 pm

I was having an out of body experience and bumped into the ghost of an old friend who was haunting this senile woman. We glanced at each other for what seemed like an eternity when the woman laughed and scared us both, causing me to wake up and they were playing the same song on the radio that was playing when my friend blew his brains out and I look out the window and see an old woman looking in at me, laughing, telling me I was next.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:46 pm

LunaNik wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Predicting a constant.......... doesn't really count.

No, but having a sense of humor counts for a lot. Sometimes, it's the only thing that keeps us from running amok.

I've found that it makes running amok that much more entertaining. Image

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:58 pm

gorgeous wrote:real experiences ,idiots

Does it? My my. Perhaps if you stopped bothering it, it wouldn't.
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm having coffee and am reading about shifefe!
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
LunaNik wrote:

:wgrin: Image

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:53 pm

LunaNik wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
LunaNik wrote:

http://rationalia.com/z/index.html

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:44 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
LunaNik wrote:

http://rationalia.com/z/index.html

#ANDAMOVIE

Electro432

Postby Electro432 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:26 pm

About seven or eight years ago my boss anounced she was retiring. We liked her, so were concerned about the future under a new boss and who that would be. I must have been thinking about it a lot as a few days later I had a dream about having a meeting with the new head teacher. We were in her office and she offered me wine. I strangely declined and sat and listened to her thinking she was slightly dubious. The next day I went into work and told everyone about the dream saying that this woman was a lush and not to be trusted. I described what she looked like in some detail. Some months later a woman fitting the description got the job. She was a lush and made many bad decisions.

I had not previously met her or been to the school she came from.... how did I manage that one??

This is something I shared with credible people before the event transpired. I didn't ever have a drink with her. Too frightening!!!
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Why did you feel it important to mention you didn't go to the school she came from?

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”