What is YOUR most extrodinary coincidence?

How should we think about weird things?
SCriminal
Poster

What is YOUR most extrodinary coincidence?

Postby SCriminal » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:35 pm

Mine -

My 7-digit college ID was the same as my 7-digit phone number. About 1/4,000,000 chace.

I met a girl with the same highly unusual first name as me (only met about 10 others who have it), same birth day and year (was born a few hours after me), in the same rather small city, attended my HS and college, but never ran into me before, played rugby just as I did, and was also an atheist.

Who's next?

McQ
Inactive

Postby McQ » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:42 pm

Nothing as unlikely as SCriminal's coincidences, but still cool:

When I was 15 years old, I visited Italy with my mother and grandmother, both of whom were born there. While in Florence, we were standing and looking at Michaelangleo's David, when I heard a young girl call my name. I looked over to see the face of my neighbor (two doors down), a girl with whom I had known from the age of three. We both knew we were going to be in Italy that summer, but knew our trips wouldn't overlap by more than three days.

We both happened to be in that exact city and spot at the same time, and she was able to spot me among the huge crowd.

The kicker: the one roll of film that was misplaced and never found (out of 20) was the roll of film I used in Florence, with our picture together on it!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

pannarrans
No Fool
No Fool

Postby pannarrans » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:39 pm

My most extraordinary coincidence was some 6 or 8 years ago. I just bought some old 80's rock LP's (you those big black doublesided CD's) and listened to them while watching a movie on T.V.. Now in the Netherlands all the foreign movies are subtitled in Dutch.

I think it was the Y&T record playing and at the same time that I heared the lyrics "it's over, it's all over now" I saw the subtitles spelling out "het is voorbij het is helemaal voorbij". For those that don't understand Dutch, it was a pretty good translation of the lyric.

What it was that was over I haven't figured out but in the event I will turn woo I'm sure I'll find something to correlate it with.

So I guess you all have to pray that I won't turn woo because I'll have you for lunch with unassailable Evidence For The Paranormal when that happens.
"Sceptisism is about asking questions and not about producing answers. The quality of a possible answer is foremost dependant and always limited to the quality of the question.", mine

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:12 am

None whatsoever, now, that's a coincidence.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Postby Chachacha » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:50 am

One day, I sang, "walking on, walking on, walking on broken glass" over and over, which was REALLY annoying because those are the only words of the song I know. Later that day, I broke a glass and I was standing right in the middle of it and if there hadn't been someone there to help, I would have had to WALK ON BROKEN GLASS.

(insert "eeeek" face here)

DeusEx_Humana
Frequent Poster

Postby DeusEx_Humana » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:54 am

I was at work in Houston, talking to a coworker who was from Loisiana, telling him my wife was also from Louisiana, a very small town with a population of about 200 (so small that the street she lived on was named after her family).

At that point, a co-worker sitting in the cubicle next to him said "What was your wife's name?"

Yes, you guessed it, she was from the same small town (pop 200!), they grew up together but had lost contact with each other, and to boot, my wifes family had sold her family back in Loiisana a car about a week earlier!

I'm not sure how you compute the odds of that, but I felt like going out and buying a lottery ticket.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:34 pm

3 years ago I had a tire die while I wuz on the expressway. It didnt blow, it just started shedding tread and deflating, so I got off at the next exit & started looking for a tire place. I found a Goodyear shop before it went completely flat.

I went back in the shop to use the toilet, and above one of the work benchez wuz a Napa pinup calander frum 1997. The same wun I had on my office wall & on the same page, December !

O.K.R
Poster

Postby O.K.R » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:13 pm

Don't these coincidences count as evidence of some form of unseen force?

Once I saw an obscure word, that I was previously unaware of (It was a while ago, so I can't remember what it was exactly) Later that day I was moving a pile of books which fell to the floor. One of the books was open, facing the floor. When I turned it around, I saw that the same word as earlier was the first I saw. As I picked the rest of the books up, the same word was spoken by the voice over on the tv. I have never heard that word before or since.
-O.K.R

Why is there something?
Why? (not that i'm complaining!)

macros_man
Frequent Poster

Postby macros_man » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:18 pm

O.K.R wrote:Don't these coincidences count as evidence of some form of unseen force?

NO... but this could be interpreted as a sign that you should brush up on your probability theory...
The meaning of life... is to defer entropy

corymaylett
Regular Poster

Postby corymaylett » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:19 pm

My most extrordinary coincidence?

Really, it was quite early on. Against million-to-one odds, my progenitor male gamete won the upstream marathon through my mother's birth canal to take the grand prize.

Flea
Regular Poster

Postby Flea » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:59 pm

When I was younger, I was considering leaving home and joining a small and relatively new (but also well-known) religious sect. For a time (maybe a couple of months), I refrained from watching television or reading books and magazines for entertainment. The only things I read were books with information about the sect and it's doctrine or related doctrines.
One day, I was in the public library to return some books. I randomly turned down an aisle, and a random book caught my eye. It was a book about the social meanings of clothing.
Suddenly I felt an intense urge to look at the book. As soon as I opened it, the pages fell open to a photograph of members of that same sect. They didn't look especially friendly, and I felt instantly repulsed.
As you can guess, I didn't join, but at the time that coincidence had a huge impact on me.
Gravity is a harsh mistress.

mcmanust

Postby mcmanust » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:37 pm

In college I spent 6 months in Germany and stayed with a host family. 10 years later, after I had moved to a new town (but still in the same state), I met a guy playing softball who had gone to the same college approx. 10 years before me and had stayed with the same family. A little weak, but all I got.
Now that I have your undivided attention---

I forgot my point.

DeusEx_Humana
Frequent Poster

Postby DeusEx_Humana » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:37 pm

Top this one:

Going back to the dawn of time, every one of my ancestors, without exception, was able to procreate.

brooklyn44
Poster

Postby brooklyn44 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:55 pm

When my husband and I were first married we were both from families that kept kashruth (orthodox Jewish dietary laws). Neither of us had ever eaten liverwurst and as far as I remember we never had a discussion about that traife food product. One day I bought some liverwurst at the local deli and tried it. I wasn't so crazy about it and I can't say what prompted me to order it.
That very same evening my husband came home from work and told me that "he experimented" and ordered a ilverwurst sandwich for lunch.[

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Chachacha » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:57 pm

[quote="O.K.R"]Don't these coincidences count as evidence of some form of unseen force?

Not to me. A bazzillion things happen everyday that are NOT coincidences and we think nothing of them.

PS: My post, although true, was posted tongue in cheek.

SCriminal
Poster

Postby SCriminal » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:00 pm

O.K.R wrote:Don't these coincidences count as evidence of some form of unseen force?

Once I saw an obscure word, that I was previously unaware of (It was a while ago, so I can't remember what it was exactly) Later that day I was moving a pile of books which fell to the floor. One of the books was open, facing the floor. When I turned it around, I saw that the same word as earlier was the first I saw. As I picked the rest of the books up, the same word was spoken by the voice over on the tv. I have never heard that word before or since.

No OKR, they don't. That's the point of this thread. How many times did you hear a new word, and then didn't hear it again that week. It's only significant because it's the one instance you notice.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:36 am

One time, I was humming a tune, turned on the radio and that song was playing!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:37 am

I think sum coincidencez are evidence uv a higher power. Not proof, just evidence. Uv course, if they are the rezult uv sum intelligence tampering with reality, they arent coincidencez.

My most common 'coincidence' iz that the number 753 pops up all the time. It happenz so often that I decided to change my name to it.

izittrue
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: former poster

Postby izittrue » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:53 am

52.50...that number pops up for bills...
water bill
dining out...
movies...
I am going to live forever because I believe in Santa Claus and God-
My sons 6 year old friend.

Tsukasa Buddha
Regular Poster

Postby Tsukasa Buddha » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:18 pm

I love it when people use coincidences as evidence of "synchronicity" or god or whatever other supernatural entity. Despite the fact that it can be simply be countered with apophenia, it is enjoyable to imagine that there is a higher power that can control so much of reality, but uses the power to make coincidences.
"I don't hold back when I fight idiots."
-Tsukasa

izittrue
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: former poster

Postby izittrue » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:16 pm

tsukasa
i knew you were going to write that
coincidence?
i think not...
I am going to live forever because I believe in Santa Claus and God-
My sons 6 year old friend.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:31 am

Maybe sum coincidences are actually simplification. Just like wen a digital picture iz simplified to make it take up les room.

Hmmm. This pixel iz the same blue az the next. And haf this pik iz the same blue! why dont I just abrivieate this.

Now lets see. Looks like JO nevr watchez Home Improvements, but once in a while its on while he happenz to turn on the TV. Lets just make it alwayz the same episode.

Tsukasa Buddha
Regular Poster

Postby Tsukasa Buddha » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:07 am

izittrue wrote:tsukasa
i knew you were going to write that
coincidence?
i think not...

Hey! That's what my Physics teacher used to say!

That counts as my most extraordinary coincidence. :lol:
"I don't hold back when I fight idiots."

-Tsukasa

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Postby Paul Anthony » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:39 am

Many years ago, I moved to a townhouse with the address "3402". Since it was a local move, I kept my phone number. The last 4 digits of that number were "3402". The last 4 on my car's license plate were "C402".

So, I played those numbers in the lottery!

And I lost.

Four years later, I moved to another city. I had to change my phone number at the same time that I changed my address. The day I was moving, someone stole my license plate!

If there was a message in all that, I never figured out what it was. :lol:
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

AlphaScorpious

Postby AlphaScorpious » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:01 am

I'll speak for Isaac Asimov and coincidence he discovered: The Planet That Wasn't.

SCriminal
Poster

Postby SCriminal » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:37 am

These are great so far. Keep them coming.

Paul's is interesting because I don't understand the concept of licence plate theft. Stealing something meaningless, of no value, and 100% tracable is weird.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster

Postby Paul Anthony » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:48 pm

SCriminal wrote:These are great so far. Keep them coming.

Paul's is interesting because I don't understand the concept of licence plate theft. Stealing something meaningless, of no value, and 100% tracable is weird.

No value? I had to PAY to replace it! Whoever stole it was able to operate a vehicle without paying a registration fee.
Also, when a car is reported stolen, the police are looking for a car with a particular license number. Stolen license plates are used on stolen vehicles, to disguise their ownership. :)
Make sense, not war.

MajorityofOne
Regular Poster

Postby MajorityofOne » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:04 pm

I had a really strange one recently but to tell it, I'd give away both who I am and where I live....so....you'll just have to take my word for it -- it was really really weird.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
- Galileo Galilei

Faith: believing in s**t you know ain't true.
George Carlin

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster

Postby Paul Anthony » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:06 pm

Gee...thanks for sharing that!
Make sense, not war.

SCriminal
Poster

Postby SCriminal » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:43 pm

Paul Anthony wrote:Also, when a car is reported stolen, the police are looking for a car with a particular license number. Stolen license plates are used on stolen vehicles, to disguise their ownership. :)

I did not know that. Clever.

CamW

Postby CamW » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:48 am

I've had a couple bizarre deja vu dreams, but the weirded coincidence I experienced was when I bought a new car about a year after my daughter was killed in a road accident. I had to get a new license plate and the plate that I got (we have 3 letters; a space; & 3 numbers) was her initials (backwards) and 081 (she was born in 1981 ..... and hey! I never noticed this before, but: in "1981" the 1 + 9 = 0, thus 081 .....SPOOKY!!! :roll:

The religious nut (well, one of them) at work tells me that "someone is sending me a message", presumably because of my contempt for religion in general. I find it funny that an omnipotent and omniscient being has to rearrange the natural laws of the cosmos to strongarm me into not pointing out the logical inconsistencies in the bible. A simple lightning bolt would suffice .... and no one would be the wiser ..... bwa-ha-ha

uh, erm, - Cam
Few arguments are more dangerous than the ones that "feel" right but can't be justified.
- Stephen Jay Gould

sciwoman
Regular Poster

Postby sciwoman » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:38 am

About five years ago my password to get online was NJZ698. About a month after I started using that password, I had to get a new car tag and the number was....you guessed it....NJZ 698.
Our species may well be in a transitional evolutionary phase wherein we either use our minds to survive or become extinct in consequence of idiotic religious behavior.-Baubles of Blasphemy-Edwin F. Kagin

Articulett
Persistent Poster

Postby Articulett » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:55 am

sciwoman wrote:About five years ago my password to get online was NJZ698. About a month after I started using that password, I had to get a new car tag and the number was....you guessed it....NJZ 698.

That's a great one! And if you didn't understand that humans have evolved to recognize meaning and there will be an infinite amount of coincidences in the universe--then you could extrapolate that there was a hidden directive in the experience. One day, a friend and I made up a name for my stepmom--we decided we'd call her "nubby" (behind her back); it seemed to fit, and it made us laugh. We were on a road trip after visiting her when we decided on the moniker, because she had a bristly, flat topped appearence reminding us of the nubs one gets when one forgets to shave one's legs for a few days--About 5 hours later, we were ending our trip, and a car cut us off--guess what the liscence plate said"? "Nubby"!

MajorityofOne
Regular Poster

Postby MajorityofOne » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:30 pm

I had another one this morning. Can't tell about it either, just thought I'd share. Weird huh?
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo Galilei

George Carlin

sciwoman
Regular Poster

Postby sciwoman » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:56 pm

Articulett wrote:
sciwoman wrote:About five years ago my password to get online was NJZ698. About a month after I started using that password, I had to get a new car tag and the number was....you guessed it....NJZ 698.

That's a great one! And if you didn't understand that humans have evolved to recognize meaning and there will be an infinite amount of coincidences in the universe--then you could extrapolate that there was a hidden directive in the experience.

Sadly, too many people DO see such experiences as hidden directives and try to use them to "discover the will of God."
Our species may well be in a transitional evolutionary phase wherein we either use our minds to survive or become extinct in consequence of idiotic religious behavior.-Baubles of Blasphemy-Edwin F. Kagin

MajorityofOne
Regular Poster

Postby MajorityofOne » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:08 pm

I saw on CNN or some news program yesterday that there's a chocolate statue of the virgin mary at Ghirradelli or somewhere out in California, I don't remember where, that "appeared" from the chocolate pouring machine. People were praying to it and stuff. Amazing. People will see hidden "messages" and "meanings" in all sorts of stuff.
Last edited by MajorityofOne on Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Galileo Galilei

George Carlin

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:43 am

Where is Homer Simpson when you need him? Mmmm. Sacrilicious.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster

Postby Paul Anthony » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:28 am

Doctor X wrote:So is anyone going to eat her?

--J.D.

I would!

No, I'm not in the habit of eating virgins. But, she's CHOCOLATE!!! :lol:
Make sense, not war.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Chachacha » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:53 am

All I have to say is this, when you HAVE to put a picture of what something looks like NEXT TO IT to convince people what it looks like, it don't look like it.

Now that grilled cheese sandwich, that stood alone, baby!

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Chachacha » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:58 am

Hey I thought of one that delighted me: my nickname was --- I'm going to make one up because I don't want everyone calling me it ... so lets say my nickname was Sexy Suki ... when I got my first car, the license plate was SS609!

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”