Mass hysteria

How should we think about weird things?
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Re: Mass hysteria

Postby gorgeous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Yet you still support trump. Sad.
trump is literally a piece of {!#%@}.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 pm

no
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Ok then. {!#%@} that idiot anyway.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:18 pm

By the way, you know who has never been accused of unwanted groping or sexual assault or harassment?
Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Just sayin

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Everything Hillary says is harassment...even verging on sexual harassment if you apply the law of conspiracy....that can make women guilty of rape even when all they did was drive the car.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 pm

Brice was Hillary's and many presidents' mind controlled sex slave..... -------- Ugly Truth about Celebrities We Adored - henrymakow.com

https://www.henrymakow.com/ugly-truth-a ... dored.html

Dec 27, 2012 - "Thanks for the Memories" (1999) by Brice Taylor - a Review ... Brice was a sex-slave from the age of ten years on for every US President from ...

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 am

Sylvester Stallone accused of forcing teen into threesome | Daily Mail ...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/.../Sylvester- ... esome.html
6 hours ago - Sylvester Stallone was accused of sexual assault by a 16-year-old girl while he was filming a movie in Las Vegas in the late 1980s, according ... -------------------there's more about Stallone if you want to know and some presidents, too...Brice tells all.......

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:15 am

G: Where is the Mass Hysteria in any of the examples you offer up? ............ or did your eyes glaze and your remote viewers go to kneejerk when famous names could be dropped?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 am

it's not mass hysteria...it is the way these males behave...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:02 am

Yes G......that is the point. This thread is labeled and supposedly about Mass hysteria. Why the diversion?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 am

It is the sudden roller coaster of accusations that represents mass hysteria. Not so much the sexual molestation. Male behaviour can easily be described as sexual molestation, even if physical contact happens entirely by accident. But I am very skeptical of all the rape complaints. Those guys so accused have never needed to resort to rape. They get sex any time they want it. Why risk rape ?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:20 am

gorgeous wrote:Brice was Hillary's and many presidents' mind controlled sex slave..... .

Soooooo..... was Brice Hillary's sex slave, or Bill's Sex slave? :D

This amazing autobiographical account of Brice Taylor's personal experience, reveals the hidden purpose behind the ritual abuse and mind control that is being reported around the world! It shares her recollections of being conditioned through childhood in order to be used by Bob Hope and Henry Kissinger, as a mind-controlled slave into adulthood

Since my mind was invaded at birth...I cannot in good faith take full responsibility for my mental perceptions, which brought forth the disclosures in this book. : Brice Taylor
https://www.amazon.com/Thanks-Memories- ... 0966891627

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:11 am

Why risk rape? ..................... because they can.

aka: its about power, not sex.

Pay attention.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:58 pm

brice was both of their's...

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:09 pm

There are two aspects to this:
one, find out who has systematically abused his position of power to sexual harass.

and

two, to create an atmosphere where such harassment isn't considered "locker room behavior". The result will probably be many more women in positions of power, which would be a good thing.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 am

I think trump acted as the catalyst and Weinstein was the final straw.
Women have had enough. Now is the time when Helen Reddy drowns out James Brown because they will no longer be victims or prey to the status quo.
The days are numbered for powerful men who think they own or are owed everything.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:32 am

gorgeous wrote:brice was both of their's...

Since my mind was invaded at birth...I cannot in good faith take full responsibility for my mental perceptions, which brought forth the disclosures in this book. : Brice Taylor

Have you worked out that the book is fictional yet? :lol:

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:39 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Why risk rape? ..................... because they can.

aka: its about power, not sex.

The IDEA that it is about power is a feminist hypothesis, not something demonstrated. This is something I seriously doubted, so I approached it scientifically, as best I could with the resources available to a single retired individual.

If the hypothesis is correct, then we snould be able to make testable predictions and fail to falsify them. The testable prediction I made was simple. If rape was about power, not sex, then the victims would be those with least power. That is, women who were handicapped, including by age. The ones who would NOT be raped would be those best able to resist. Since female olympic athletes are pretty much all in their teens or 20's, my suggestion is that those best able to resist would be in that be group, and therefore be the lowest number of rape victims. The statistics are available on line, and I checked. In fact, the overwhelming majority of rape victims are in their teens and 20's. The feminist hypothesis is therefore falsified.

I also came across an article on this subject, relating to how feminists "confirmed " their ideas. The way they do this is to send a "feminist researcher " to a prison to interview convicted rapists. Note that the term feminist researcher is an oxymoron. A true researcher enters the research task with no preconceptions, which is incompatible with researching rape when having strong feminist ideas.

Anyway, the standard rape research by these jokes for researchers is to interview convicted rapists and ask them why. They leave the prison with statements confirming their prejudice. But the article I read included a comment from a prison warden. He said that it was all a joke, because prisoners will tell lies, and will ALWAYS say what they think the researcher wants to hear. So the prisoners talk until they work out what the "researcher " is after, and gives her what she wants. Duh !

In my view, and for the reasons I just gave, most rapes are simply about sex. I will make another prediction. I cannot confirm this myself, but a serious and professional researcher could. If all rape victims were photographed, and a similar number of women selected randomly also photographed to form a control group. Then all the photos shuffled together. Get some ordinary people to sort all the photos into order by physical attractiveness. I predict the result would have a lot more rape victims at the more attractive end than the randomely chosen control group. That is because, in my view, rape is mainly about sex and the most likely woman to be raped is the one who is physically sexy.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:05 am

Lance..........you crack me up.

Even if it is wrong ie: "wrong"==there is a value in Feminist Deconstruction to provide another view/appreciation of the subject. WHY would a rich man like Weinstein pressure the women who need him for their career growth but subject him to the risk of lawsuits with the attendant risks as demonstrated do that if sex were the ONLY issue? I don't know..... but I assume Hollywood Hookers are only a phone call away?

something more than sex is going on. Shirley you aren't so simple minded as to think about complex issues with single stimulus analysis?

I worked with a guy who was competent and motivated to do the best job he could .......but he was a douche....always "dating" the ladies at work. He bragged once that he preferred hiring single working mothers because they needed the job and were easier to coerce. Now Lance........was his sexual conquests nothing more than a desire for sex, or was something else also in operation?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 am

Bobbo

I have no doubt that there are men who commit rape for weird reasons, but the vast bulk of rape victims are young, which means in the sexy part of their life. Now I am sure you would never abuse a woman , but can you honestly say you have never looked at a sexy young woman and felt a desire to grab her and take her off to bed ? If you have not, then you must not be a normal heterosexual male.

I have doubts about Weinstein committing rape for the simple reason that he would never need to. As you said, hookers are a phone call away.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:35 am

The point is that sex, willing or unwilling, cannot be allowed to be a tool for career advancement (or the lack of).
Even if both parties are fully consensual, the power differential makes it highly suspect.
The reason why many states are ok with minors marrying adults is that at least the adult has taken up a legal commitment to the child.
Without a similar instrument in companies and politics, sexual relationships between bosses and employees should not happen, no matter how willing either side is.
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:09 am

That is a very idealistic view, EM. I am not disagreeing with you, but I think human nature, in both genders, will make that outcome impossible.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:37 am

I have no doubt that some rape is about power - just look at rape in war. But my guess is that most rape is selected for - not by youth or beauty or clothes, but by simple opportunity - a secluded location, happenstance that nobody else is around, encounter in the course of a robbery, etc.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:43 am

Rape in war, TJ, is not about power. It is about opportunity. While raping a woman back home is forbidden, raping one of the 'enemy ' is accepted.

But I think your second statement has a lot of merit.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:06 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: I have doubts about Weinstein committing rape for the simple reason that he would never need to. As you said, hookers are a phone call away.

Wuttttt?????? Why would you have "doubt" or any position on a subject you know NOTHING about? You have to agree its Possible? And you do know that several women with nothing to gain have claimed it?????

...........but you "doubt it."

.................................................... how very special.

Now........GIVEN no man has a "need" to rape anyone..........WHY WOULD HE.......if he did?

Don't mind that you've been told expressly outright Five times.

Heh, heh..............why????? Let's blame the women shall we???? I mean, what man would have sex with a woman if she wasn't asking for it? Working outside the home and all............

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:13 am

btw........only because you brought it up and I still smile about it, YES.......I oogled women all the time. Pissed wifey off because I would not apologize for it. "I"m a male. A male with eyes..........and I look at you the same way. Its why we are married." didn't satisfy her, but it got her off her high horse.......and a score for me if wine was in the scenario.

There was this teenage girl who delivered mail to our office. She was a model, weightlifter, and swim suit model. Everytime she delivered the mail, we would all "look" at her as politely as we could muster, which didn't fool her nor the secretaries who just shook their heads but had to agree she had a Monster Body. One day, one guy got her to flex her biceps for us....and we could only imagine the rest of her. I often imagined her as a contortionist as well. An office mate said: "I bet she's got muscles in her {!#%@}." Now.....why is that funny? I still smile as I type this now.

Sexual Harassment? Over sexed work place?? Its all definitional...but I bet she had muscles in her {!#%@} too! Worthy to admire just because it was unique. As all true beauties are.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:16 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Rape in war, TJ, is not about power. It is about opportunity. While raping a woman back home is forbidden, raping one of the 'enemy ' is accepted.

by the same token, the rich would never embezzle money or evade taxes because they already have enough.

For power-hungry types who, to be honest, are disproportionately those most successful, being rejected can be a serious blow to the ego. The need to bend a women to their will might be stronger than in a person who doesn't consider himself to be a Prince of the Universe.
Spoiler:
- Douglas Adams

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:19 pm

This is the first time in history where it is becoming safe for women to speak up about what has been happening since time immemorial. Mass forthcoming, not mass hysteria.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:58 pm

To Bobbo

Re Weinstein and rape.

Certainly it is possible. There is a case on record where one man volunteered to be killed and eaten by a second man (and was), which shows that anything, no matter how strange, is possible. But possible is not the same as likely.

Weinstein had all the sexual opportunities he could handle, and he could get more sex any time he wanted it. Why take the risk of raping someone when it was not needed ? And that business of power and control is bull-shit.

I have no doubt he was guilty of sexual molestation. Almost every man who has tried to seduce women is guilty of that at some stage or another. If, in my youth, I tried to slip my hand under a woman's blouse, and she was not ready for that, the action can be called sexual molestation. This sort of thing is utterly common. A very confident guy is more likely to be guilty than someone who, like me in my youth, was nervous. Weinstein was doubtless extremely confident, and tried it on a lot.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:32 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:To Bobbo

Re Weinstein and rape.

Certainly it is possible. There is a case on record where one man volunteered to be killed and eaten by a second man (and was), which shows that anything, no matter how strange, is possible. But possible is not the same as likely.

Weinstein had all the sexual opportunities he could handle, and he could get more sex any time he wanted it. Why take the risk of raping someone when it was not needed ? And that business of power and control is bull-shit.

I have no doubt he was guilty of sexual molestation. Almost every man who has tried to seduce women is guilty of that at some stage or another. If, in my youth, I tried to slip my hand under a woman's blouse, and she was not ready for that, the action can be called sexual molestation. This sort of thing is utterly common. A very confident guy is more likely to be guilty than someone who, like me in my youth, was nervous. Weinstein was doubtless extremely confident, and tried it on a lot.

Lance: take a closer read. My last post to you was NOT about whether or not Weinstein committed rape but rather how you or anyone else could possibly know. You affirm this by giving an example of how strange people can be.............then, you post just as if you know Weinstein.

So .............................. inflexible. EVEN after you have bought a clue. What explains that?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:45 pm

bobbo

It is not about knowing.
It is about doubt.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:31 pm

"Its about doubt." ///////////It is???????????? As in NO doubt?????????????????

To quote what you said JUST BEFORE, giving you an ADD score of 99.99: "I have no doubt he was guilty of sexual molestation." then............."..........Weinstein was doubtless extremely confident,"

So..........based on your own predilections (which is in the main what most "minimum information scenarios" is based on), you "know" Weinstein is guilty. What are you in doubt of?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Rape

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 pm

I saw Momma kissing Santa Claus ...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:19 pm

That goes on the naughty list. (I'm just not sure if that's the "good list" now. :scratch:)

Lard, save me from your followers.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:43 pm

bad lady -----fox---A rising liberal star running for Congress in Kansas has dropped out of the race over a 2005 federal lawsuit in which she was accused of sexually harassing a male employee whom she supervised.

Andrea Ramsey, 56, of Leawood, was looking to challenge incumbent Republican Kevin Yoder in 2018 in the Kansas City-area 3rd District but announced in a Facebook post that she would be ending her campaign Friday.

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”