A huge misconception that leads people to believe in the paranormal

How should we think about weird things?
Omniverse
Poster

A huge misconception that leads people to believe in the paranormal

Postby Omniverse » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Edit: Let me rewrite this since the original version led to a lot of misconceptions. I am also going to refer to those types of people who are spiritual and religious believers which is up for discussion. Most people in this world would think that the idea of the natural world being all there is would be something akin to a science teacher taking his students out on a trip and telling them that this natural world is beautiful and is the only life we have. This gives a sort of impression to most people. That impression being that there is simply more to life than the biology and physics classes we used to attend to in our school years. People live their lives as a family and do not incorporate our knowledge of science when it comes to the idea of death. They do make use of science when it comes to certain everyday tasks. But when it comes to their very existence as loving families and friends, they think that this is something that can't be reduced to mere biology and physics classes. That is the big misconception people have which is the very reason why they become spiritual and religious believers in the first place. I think it is one of the main reasons why they become these believers because the very idea of their very existence being reduced to temporary biology seems too absurd.
Last edited by Omniverse on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Re: A huge misconception that leads people to believe in the paranormal

Postby gorgeous » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:48 pm

you can't understand people's obe's and nde's........you will...and how about the non-physical dimensions that science has verified?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Most people are such slugs that they don't even notice the natural world.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:53 pm

So living a normal family life is either all about the paranormal or it's science? Oh dear. Do you take C12H22O11 in your coffee or do you simply drink spirits?

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Poodle wrote:So living a normal family life is either all about the paranormal or it's science? Oh dear. Do you take C12H22O11 in your coffee or do you simply drink spirits?

That's not what I meant when I said this. I meant to say that, when it comes to the concept of death, we tend towards the paranormal due to all of the factors I've explained in my opening post.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 pm

due to people's experiences...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:39 pm

OK - let's take a look ...

Omniverse wrote:I think it is very difficult for people to accept the idea that the natural world is all there is. In their school years, they used to go to science class and learn about the natural world. But then they would come back home to their families. If these people were to live their lives as though the natural world is all there is, then it would be as though they are living their lives in a science class. It would seem quite odd and unfitting ...

As you used the present tense in you opening statement, I think this is far from the truth. It certainly wasn't true when I was very young, and that's quite a while ago now. Sure, some families were like that - but most weren't.
Omniverse wrote:Not only that, they think that, even though science is amazing, it isn't everything to life. They would think that there is more to life than some science class. From there, these people believe in things such as the afterlife, soul, and the paranormal since it is something that goes beyond living out our lives in the context of a biology or science class ...

There WAS more to life than a science class. There was more to school than a science class. Your conclusions are non sequiturs.
Omniverse wrote:Such a belief doesn't seem quite odd and unfitting. As a matter of fact, it goes perfectly well with the idea of a loved one passing away and being greeted later on. It is a belief that goes perfectly well with the idea of us as human beings being something special and something more than what a biology or science teacher says we are. People refuse to accept the idea of the natural world being all there is since it, to them, is a view that attempts to reduce their family moments and lives to nothing more than some science class. People wish to go outside of these science classes and wish to instead live in a universe that they truly see as reflecting their lives and moments with family, friends, etc. I think this is a huge misconception that has resulted in much of the religious and spiritual believers we see today.

Much of the religious and spiritual belief we see today is quite genuine if, in my opinion, misguided. Some of it is, though, quite pretentious - just as some protestations of non-belief are quite pretentious. You are attempting to impose an either/or interpretation upon a multi-faceted reality. It's too simplistic.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 pm

for instance...I have asked for healing a few times and received it...from invisible beings...yes it's real....

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 pm

*COMMENT REDACTED*
(It was too good a target to be true).

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Omniverse wrote:I think it is very difficult for people to accept the idea that the natural world is all there is.
Wrong. You are on a science forum where people accept the scientific nature of the universe.

Omniverse wrote: (For non scientific based families) They would think that there is more to life than some science class.
Good for them. They don't post here. You should go post on their religious forums and stop wasting our science based forum's time

Omniverse wrote:Such a belief doesn't seem quite odd and unfitting.
Who cares what religious people do? This is a science based forum.

Firstly, why are you posting your religious crap on a science based forum?

Secondly, you don't have a family, so why would you know anything? You're an internet troll.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:19 pm

gorgeous wrote:you can't understand people's obe's and nde's......
au contraire...... Science knows exactly why people think they have OBEs and NDEs. We also know why dogs salivate over the smell of food. :D

Near-Death Experiences Explained by Science
https://www.livescience.com/16019-death ... ained.html

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:22 pm

science verified multiple dimensions...deal with it..

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:23 pm

gorgeous wrote:science verified multiple dimensions...deal with it..
That's right Gorgeous. There are probably ten physical dimensions and time as a dimension. Do you know what this scientific model is called?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:28 pm

Omniverse wrote:I think it is very difficult for people to accept the idea that the natural world is all there is.

Ummmm....I stopped reading right there as I think just the opposite.....for me and those who are reality based. Nothing good can come from a false/manipulative/wishful premise. So, I'll go back and read the comments to see where the thread goes. There's good and bad in a world where people can believe whatever they want to. We are all little fascists somewhere deep inside. Keeping the mania small is the key.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 pm

gorgeous wrote:for instance...I have asked for healing a few times and received it...from invisible beings...yes it's real....

Yeah...........but who made you sick to begin with...........and shouldn't you ask continuously?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”