Athene's Theory Of Everything

How should we think about weird things?
Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster

Athene's Theory Of Everything

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:15 am

This 'theory' is a classic example of utterly disingenuous 'science'....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbh5l0b2-0o

There's plenty of valid science at the start. But that's the problem. None of the valid science is anything new. Everything seems to be going well until the video starts replacing 'c', the speed of light, with 'c' for consciousness...in De Broglie equations for example. And then towards the end ( just as with a David Icke lecture ) the BS gets piled on more and more. And yet, this 'theory of everything' leaves me no wiser about the universe than before I watched it. I found it ending with me wondering ' er....where is the theory ?'

It's the classic tactic of making the audience let down their guard by presenting valid science and info for 2/3 of the video, and then introducing the BS. I think what annoys me most is that the 'theory' doesn't actually seem to say anything at all, when one looks at it, and it makes no predictions. Can't believe this nonsense got 4 million views.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: Athene's Theory Of Everything

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:35 am

Well, with your review, I wonder why you brought it here............ and will affirm the video is not getting one more view.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:25 am

to paraphrase:

"I've seen hundreds of stupid videos on Youtube and I keep asking myself: who is watching this kind of nonsense?"
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 am

Someone starts a straight up thread that is directly related to the mission of this forum and yet certain people cannot resist pissing all over it.

Pathetic.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:06 am

xouper wrote:Someone starts a straight up thread that is directly related to the mission of this forum and yet certain people cannot resist pissing all over it.

Pathetic.

If you consider it your mission to debunk yt videos, go for it.

If the OP had asked for the members' opinion on the theory I might have take a look and given my 2 cents - but otherwise it's not worth anyone's time and for the poster of the video it doesn't matter if you watch it sceptically or not.
The best way to fight this kind of thing is to ignore it.
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 am

And they keep on pissing.

Pathetic.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 am

xouper wrote:And they keep on pissing.

Pathetic.

and what are you doing instead of pissing, mostly on your own shoes?

You think you see a person in need and spend all your time complaining that others don't help.

What would you call that again....

hint: starts with: p
Spoiler:
- Douglas Adams

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 am

And he just keeps on pissing.

Pathetic.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:50 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:to paraphrase:

"I've seen hundreds of stupid videos on Youtube and I keep asking myself: who is watching this kind of nonsense?"

I do that all the time. I'm listening to UFO reports at the time that I write this, for entertainment.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 pm

ElectricMonk and bobbo_the_Pragmatist:

Cygnus_X1's post is exactly the sort of thing that would be an ordinary article in Skeptic Magazine. I don't understand what y'all are complaining about.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Good for you, M!

And as I mentioned, so would I if someone was confused about a video. But why waste time on something we all agree is BS?
Spoiler:
- Douglas Adams

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Good for you, M!

And as I mentioned, so would I if someone was confused about a video. But why waste time on something we all agree is BS?

You do not have the authority to speak on behalf of others here.

If a particular topic is a waste of your  time, then skip it and move on to something else.

It adds nothing to the conversation for you to get on your soapbox and declare that a topic is a waste of your  time.

There might be others on this forum who are interested in discussing it further, but who are put off by your irrelevant and condescending crap.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Cygnus_X1 wrote:There's plenty of valid science at the start. But that's the problem. None of the valid science is anything new. Everything seems to be going well until the video starts replacing 'c', the speed of light, with 'c' for consciousness..
I think this is pretty normal. I think there are a couple of reasons

Individual Psychological Self justification
We have Salomed on this forum who attempts desperately to shoe-horn his "Hidden Shakespeare Codes" into a real mathematical framework. He even uses Descartes, the mathematician, as his avatar. Salomed demands that we perceive him as scientist. However, all Salomed is doing is using science jargon (buzz phrases) and, as he doesn't know the real meaning of those words he can't actually apply them to anything or actually conclude an equation.

Actually we have a lot of member who do this. Zeuzzz really did believe his "stoned ape" theory was scientific. Maunas really does believe his new meanings for works like "atom" and "Dark Matter" are scientific improvements.

These are just delusions retained by these people so they can pretend to themselves they are scientific.

Outright Fraud for Commercial Gain
Santilli is an Italian fraudster, who created fake universities and science publishers around the world. He publishes normal accepted science and then slowly changes the meanings of scientific words so he can slip in "new discoveries" he controls. He then raises money, from "marks", to fund these new discoveries as businesses. In reality he is just setting up long play confidence trick schemes. He can present his own controlled scientific papers as evidence.
(See Magnagas thread and Magnacules).

On a much smaller level are the pseudo science websites. Video production is now really cheap. If advertising revenue is greater that video production cost then the vminute or so ideo producers will say anything . However these is a trick in advertising called "reader investment" . That means if a viewer reads normal good science for the first minute or so, then the reader will keep reading when the science is slowly replaced by bull-shit pseudo science.

The Irony
The irony is that people who consciously misuse scientific jargon for profit ( Terence McKenna's Stoned Ape books) trick idiots like Zeuzzz who then think they are being scientific and start their ridiculous threads here. Another classical example would be Alan Green's Shakespeare's code books, which inspired Salomed to make his post on the same topic. At no point in time did Salomed understand basic mathematics, but Salomed insisted he was a scientist.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:54 pm

Monster wrote:ElectricMonk and bobbo_the_Pragmatist:

Cygnus_X1's post is exactly the sort of thing that would be an ordinary article in Skeptic Magazine. I don't understand what y'all are complaining about.

Its where you put the emPHAsis. The review of the article is: "This 'theory' is a classic example of utterly disingenuous 'science'...." //// Now......what is interesting or informative about a classic example of utterly disingenuous science? Shouldn't this exalted forum or the magazine aim just a bit higher? something with a hint of credibility or doubt about it? Like maybe 8th Grade material?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”