Delusions

How should we think about weird things?
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Delusions

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:14 am

"Reality is a controlled hallucination, reined in by our senses. "

The above sentence is a quote from my reference.

New Scientist. 23 September 2017, page 40.

Another quote.
"The world around us bombards us with sensory information. The brain doesn't process every little detail. That would be very inefficient. Instead, it makes educated guesses. "

The article goes on to discusses how we mistake random noises for words. But it could just as easily have discussed how we mistake blurred images for other objects.

We constantly experience errors in our perception of reality. This is easily seen in optical illusions. Shimmering desert air becomes a lake. The early morning sun becomes a bloated ball. The sun just setting over the sea suddenly turns green. We see the face of the Virgin Mary in a burned piece of toast. None of these things are real.

What is more deceptive is when what we see is modified by what we expect to see. A catholic is more likely to see Mary, while a buddhist is more likely to see the buddha. A lot of the nonsense posted on this forum by non skeptics can be seen as the delusions that comes from our malleable senses.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: Delusions

Postby TJrandom » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:45 am

I know what you mean… When temporarily separated from my wife in the supermarket and searching for her, I invariably focus on and start to track the young busty beauty across the isles…. Only to be slapped back into reality from behind. ;)

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:55 am

A trailing external sound card, eh.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:36 am

All the more reason to THINK rationally and critically about what we observe, instead of assuming our observations accurately represent reality.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”