Doubt

How should we think about weird things?
User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Doubt

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:No Poodle.

The expansion is faster than light because space itself is expanding. Human travel is through space, not by its expansion. If the space between here and the nearest star to our sun is 4.3 light years, then the expansion of space will put us further away, not closer. We still have to travel THROUGH space to get there, and that is 4.3 light years at less than light speed.
How does that song go? "Hitch your wagon to a star," or something like that. :mrgreen:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 11202
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Doubt

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:06 am

" I was born under a wandering star. " Sung by Lee Marvin with no recognition given whatever to singing in tune.

If humans born on Earth travel to another star system, then the Star of their birth will be travelling away from them, making the song accurate.

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Doubt

Postby Confidencia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Poodle wrote:
Confidencia wrote:... A deeper and broader intelligence base goes way beyond the confines of memory and there is are no proprietary concerns when you are dealing with the fact of the matter.



:lol: I said there are no proprietary concerns and here your are correcting my grammar :mrgreen: As usual you have missed the point.

Sir you are not doing a very good job. If you are going to mark my work you will have to do better than this. There is more than one grammatical error. I shall have to reinstate the text book massive if you are not up to the task.

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Doubt

Postby Confidencia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
The expansion is faster than light because space itself is expanding. Human travel is through space, not by its expansion. If the space between here and the nearest star to our sun is 4.3 light years, then the expansion of space will put us further away, not closer. We still have to travel THROUGH space to get there, and that is 4.3 light years at less than light speed.


This is alright as far as the theory goes but you might want to rethink if you are looking for a decisive answer. I'm no scientist but logic tells me that space does not expand. If you take everything out of space how are you going to measure expansion? Space does not have any boarder lines so where are you going to start? And what will you measure against?

It is the same with light, it does not travel it is already here and everywhere. It is like consciousness it goes nowhere and does not come from anywhere.

When colour interacts with light it creates the illusion of movement. It is like watching a movie, when the film's not rolling do you see the light move? Of course not. It is only when the light interacts with the colour on the reel that you see movement. A light photon is a reflective object. In reality light is not quantifiable.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 11202
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Doubt

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Confidentia

Science is not about logic. Except that sometimes logic is used as a tool. Science is about the truth, whether we like it or not. The truth is gained by real world (empirical) testing, which trumps mere logic. Empirical testing shows that space is expanding whether your "logic " likes it or not.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28098
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Doubt

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Confidencia wrote: I'm no scientist but logic tells me that space does not expand.
You are an uneducated hippy and we already know that space expands because of the Big Bang and inflation. You have no alternative theory and can't offer one iota of evidence that counters the hard evidence for the Big Bang.

Ever heard of "red-shift"? No? Cosmic Background Radiation? No?

Here is the UK school study guide on evidence for the Big Bang and inflation. (Can you remember when you lied and claimed to be a UK high school teacher?) .
:lol:
http://www.schoolsobservatory.org.uk/le ... ng/bb_evid


Confidencia wrote:When colour interacts with light it creates the illusion of movement.
Colour is light you idiot. Colour is how life on Earth evolved to consciously represent different specific electro-magnetic frequencies. Those things in your eyes called cones pick up three electro-magnetic wave frequencies which we consciously see as red green and blue.
cones.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Confidencia
BANNED
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

Re: Doubt

Postby Confidencia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:27 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Confidencia wrote: I'm no scientist but logic tells me that space does not expand.
You are an uneducated hippy and we already know that space expands because of the Big Bang and inflation. You have no alternative theory and can't offer one iota of evidence that counters the hard evidence for the Big Bang.

Ever heard of "red-shift"? No? Cosmic Background Radiation? No?


Convention does not count as hard evidence ellard, you will have to do better than this.

Here is the UK school study guide on evidence for the Big Bang and inflation. (Can you remember when you lied and claimed to be a UK high school teacher?) . :lol:
http://www.schoolsobservatory.org.uk/le ... ng/bb_evid


What on earth are you talking about ?

Confidencia wrote:When colour interacts with light it creates the illusion of movement.
Colour is light you idiot. Colour is how life on Earth evolved to consciously represent different specific electro-magnetic frequencies. Those things in your eyes called cones pick up three electro-magnetic wave frequencies which we consciously see as red green and blue. cones.jpg


Like I said ellard unless it is in text book format you are at a loss. I could have said: When light interact with itself is the same as when colour interacts with light.

So who knows all of this ? Ellard I know it's going to be hard for you but try to think for yourself.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 11202
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Doubt

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 am

Confidentia

When you say space does not expand, you are denying the findings of all cosmologists and physicists. Sorry to have to disillusion you, but space DOES expand. It is expanding all the time. In fact, on the scale of the whole universe, it is expanding faster than the speed of light.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13903
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Doubt

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:19 am

I thought the accepted convention was that there is no such thing as color. There are wave lengths that can be captured/detected/measured in different ways and presented in different ways. Oscilliscopes do it in one way, the human eyeball in another, horseshoe crabs in another.

What color is present when a red ball is put into a room with no light?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9216
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Doubt

Postby Poodle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 am

It's the same colour as a single hand clapping. Everyone knows that!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13903
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Doubt

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:45 am

Poodle!!!!!! I take pleasure in the information that you provide to this forum, but why do you all too often spoil the fun? Everyone knows the colOR of a sigle hand clapping is blue.

Who are you trying to fool....... and why????

Of interest, a single hand clapping does make a sound.......just below what humans can detect. Just like a dark room.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9216
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Doubt

Postby Poodle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:43 pm

That's what I said.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13903
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Doubt

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 pm

No....................... YOU said "our" when the subject was distinctly "or".

Just look.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9216
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Doubt

Postby Poodle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Yes, but you were talking about a sigle hand and I was talking about a single hand.
Just look.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13903
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Doubt

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:28 pm

Oh!................................ well, thats different.

............Nevermind.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?


Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest