Doubt

How should we think about weird things?
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Re: Doubt

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:No Poodle.

The expansion is faster than light because space itself is expanding. Human travel is through space, not by its expansion. If the space between here and the nearest star to our sun is 4.3 light years, then the expansion of space will put us further away, not closer. We still have to travel THROUGH space to get there, and that is 4.3 light years at less than light speed.
How does that song go? "Hitch your wagon to a star," or something like that. :mrgreen:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:06 am

" I was born under a wandering star. " Sung by Lee Marvin with no recognition given whatever to singing in tune.

If humans born on Earth travel to another star system, then the Star of their birth will be travelling away from them, making the song accurate.

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Poodle wrote:
Confidencia wrote:... A deeper and broader intelligence base goes way beyond the confines of memory and there is are no proprietary concerns when you are dealing with the fact of the matter.

:lol: I said there are no proprietary concerns and here your are correcting my grammar :mrgreen: As usual you have missed the point.

Sir you are not doing a very good job. If you are going to mark my work you will have to do better than this. There is more than one grammatical error. I shall have to reinstate the text book massive if you are not up to the task.

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
The expansion is faster than light because space itself is expanding. Human travel is through space, not by its expansion. If the space between here and the nearest star to our sun is 4.3 light years, then the expansion of space will put us further away, not closer. We still have to travel THROUGH space to get there, and that is 4.3 light years at less than light speed.

This is alright as far as the theory goes but you might want to rethink if you are looking for a decisive answer. I'm no scientist but logic tells me that space does not expand. If you take everything out of space how are you going to measure expansion? Space does not have any boarder lines so where are you going to start? And what will you measure against?

It is the same with light, it does not travel it is already here and everywhere. It is like consciousness it goes nowhere and does not come from anywhere.

When colour interacts with light it creates the illusion of movement. It is like watching a movie, when the film's not rolling do you see the light move? Of course not. It is only when the light interacts with the colour on the reel that you see movement. A light photon is a reflective object. In reality light is not quantifiable.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Confidentia

Science is not about logic. Except that sometimes logic is used as a tool. Science is about the truth, whether we like it or not. The truth is gained by real world (empirical) testing, which trumps mere logic. Empirical testing shows that space is expanding whether your "logic " likes it or not.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Confidencia wrote: I'm no scientist but logic tells me that space does not expand.
You are an uneducated hippy and we already know that space expands because of the Big Bang and inflation. You have no alternative theory and can't offer one iota of evidence that counters the hard evidence for the Big Bang.

Ever heard of "red-shift"? No? Cosmic Background Radiation? No?

Here is the UK school study guide on evidence for the Big Bang and inflation. (Can you remember when you lied and claimed to be a UK high school teacher?) .
:lol:
http://www.schoolsobservatory.org.uk/le ... ng/bb_evid

Confidencia wrote:When colour interacts with light it creates the illusion of movement.
Colour is light you idiot. Colour is how life on Earth evolved to consciously represent different specific electro-magnetic frequencies. Those things in your eyes called cones pick up three electro-magnetic wave frequencies which we consciously see as red green and blue.
cones.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”