Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution?

How should we think about weird things?
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:08 pm

digress wrote:But you'd have to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the ill victim was in-fact incapable of dealing with the situation in a responsible way.

Isn't that what they did? Criminal conviction and all?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
digress wrote:But you'd have to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the ill victim was in-fact incapable of dealing with the situation in a responsible way.

Isn't that what they did? Criminal conviction and all?

The over arching topic was on intent behind speech itself & I did not want to linger on one case. I brought it up only to avoid the question of a mentally ill case.
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 pm

...but...... butt ...... butttt...... its the mentally ill aspects of the issue that you focused on..... and which in fact what gives the issue any conflict at all. Its the whole point.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:41 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Nikki: we agree. "its definitional" as it almost always is.
Exactly. We don't even use the same words for the different flavors of "killing another human being." Murder, homicide, manslaughter...and all of them defined by degrees of intent, i.e., personal accountability.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Why should the law of self defense be written so as to mention its differentiation from the law of indefensible intentional murder?
Choice. Which reflects intent. The defendant who killed in self-defense had no choice...it was kill or BE killed. The premeditated murder defendant made the conscious choice to kill another human being, and even planned it. He had the choice to refrain, but chose to murder.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:"The basic act is the same..." //// Is that the nub??? What act is that? The act of defending ones self in ones home, or the act of securing a weapon and entering the home of another? What "act" is at isssue?
The basic act of "killing another human being." The intent is the differentiation, as it should be. Let's take another act in comparison: theft. Is there a difference between:
  • one who steals a loaf of bread to feed his children,
  • one who steals another's car to go joyriding,
  • one who makes a career of B&E to steal and pawn valuable goods,
  • one who embezzles from a wealthy corporation, and
  • one who embezzles from seniors' pension funds?
I would argue there are differences in both degree and intent.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Postby digress » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...but...... butt ...... butttt...... its the mentally ill aspects of the issue that you focused on..... and which in fact what gives the issue any conflict at all. Its the whole point.

no. thats not the whole point nor my focus. it is apparently only your focus. sorry
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Yeah: silly me: "Re: Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution?"

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”