Darwin Award.........Joey Bada$$ stares at Eclipse

How should we think about weird things?
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Darwin Award.........Joey Bada$$ stares at Eclipse

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Not killed by the action....but may not reproduce as a result.

An unbelievable and short read. Of interest to me is how someone can think whatever they want to think with any kind of reality/history/available science being of no relevant interest to them at all. We see this all the time: people forming conclusions against all the evidence. Its rare though that the consequences are immediately and singularly handed out. I do wish that somehow could happen more often. but in politics and most of human affairs, its called "an opinion."

“Am I crazy for watching the eclipse today w no glasses?” he tweeted recently. “This ain’t the first solar eclipse and I’m pretty sure our ancestors ain’t have no fancy eye-wear. Also pretty sure they ain’t all go blind.”

I look forward to following this man's career.....I have nothing better to do in the next 5-6 days.

http://www.boredpanda.com/solar-eclipse ... ey-badass/
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Darwin Award.........Joey Bada$$ stares at Eclipse

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Love Bored Panda. They even show what he hoped to see.
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:20 am

Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:46 am

Sheesh. I didn't even dare look...and I live in New England, well outside the path. Even so, it was eerie here. The light outside was...off. Not normal. Nor were the sounds; the birds and insects sounded off. And my dogs were restless and acting weird all day. Neither one would leave me alone.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:28 am

Nikki: could you ask your daughter to describe as specifically as she can "how dark it got?" I'm curious because my memory of the total eclipse was mostly the temperature drop. It got dark but not remarkably so, more like twilight. I'm thinking the "very dark" on all the news shows is a camera artifact? I recall the diamond ring effect which was nice as well as was the return of the sun....but don't remember the corona being much to see at all. Again...thinking that is enhanced photography at work?

I am anthrocentric. I think the stunning stupidity of the OP does outdo the eclipse. Heh, heh. It doesn't "mean" as much.... but it is more stunning.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:32 am

I'll definitely ask her. She used some of the approved material to cover her camera lens, then took photos every five minutes from beginning to end, so she has a beautiful series of "moon phases," including the "full moon" of the total eclipse. I'm going to pay to have them printed (after she's edited them) and framed, then hang them in order from "new moon" to "waning crescent."
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:33 am

Everyone: make sure to check Eggs first Link above. Best eclipse photos I have seen.

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”