World Science Festival YT Channel is a New Age Hoax

How should we think about weird things?
daramantus
Poster

World Science Festival YT Channel is a New Age Hoax

Postby daramantus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCShHFw ... g7hr4f1R8A

there's a growing number of "science" channels on youtube promoting new-agey garbage, and 'World Science Festival' is no different.
it seems like a great channel and {!#%@}, with several well-organized lectures, but it isn't, it's a new age hoax. including this attempt to focus on the 'self' as being an 'illusion' and all this solipsistic and idealistic propaganda

look at the title of the videos, do you find any science in any of it?

"Where Do You Locate Your Sense Of Self"
"The Lost Mariner and the Self"
"The Self: A Necessary Illusion?"
"My Society My Self?"
"My Neurons, My Self"
"NOTHING: The "Science" of Emptiness"
"What We Gain When We Lose Free Will"
"Oliver Sacks: A Tale of Awakenings"
"The Beauty of Balance"
"Awakening the Mind: A Celebration of the Life and Work "
"Does science destroy the beauty in the world?" (an attempt to brainwash people into believing that critical thinking and REAL science is bad)
etc......

I mean, c'mon, why focus so much in the self? Who is behind this crap, I don't know, but it's obvious that all this repetitive new-agey propaganda is to brainwash the masses.....it's irritating. There is no science in it at all, then why include 'science'?

not even mentioning the images suggesting some kind of 'solipsism' or to suggest that we are inside "god", or whatever hocus pocus this agenda is promoting
xxxxxxxx.png

What is your opinion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by daramantus on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: New World Festival YT Channel is a New Age Hoax

Postby Gord » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 am

:wave: Hi, daramantus!

Yeah, youtube is full of pseudoscience. Ad revenue means people can make a profit just from posting popular hokum videos. And youtube's lax policies on hoaxes, lies, and outright misrepresentations means the whackos, wooists, and religionistas can upload the wrongest crap imaginable to make a buck. That can only serve to invite the whackiest whackos, wooiest wooists, and religioniest religionistas to their site.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 am

like this whacko.... ----"Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." - Niels Bohr
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Re: World Science Festival YT Channel is a New Age Hoax

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:19 pm

At a guess, the scientific mask is an attempt to fool people into thinking there's an actual scientific basis to their woo nonsense. Non-skeptics see the word "science" and believe someone else has done the actual thinking, so they don't have to. Skeptics might sample the channel, based on the word "science," but would quickly realize it was just click bait.

I mean, really... "Where Do You Locate Your Sense Of Self" ...like you have a choice?

"What We Gain When We Lose Free Will" sounds like some kind of deterministic BS.

"The Beauty of Balance" ...let me guess...karma.

"Awakening the Mind: A Celebration of the Life and Work" ...like it ever really sleeps.

"Does science destroy the beauty in the world?" ...ridiculous! Knowing the scientific basis behind a rainbow doesn't destroy its beauty or the childlike excitement you feel when you see one. If anything, that knowledge just makes the experience even cooler.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:At a guess, the scientific mask is an attempt to fool people into thinking there's an actual scientific basis to their woo nonsense. Non-skeptics see the word "science" and believe someone else has done the actual thinking, so they don't have to. Skeptics might sample the channel, based on the word "science," but would quickly realize it was just click bait.

I mean, really... "Where Do You Locate Your Sense Of Self" ...like you have a choice?

The use of technology to ensure the security of your phylactery.

"What We Gain When We Lose Free Will" sounds like some kind of deterministic BS.

Applying science to your insanity plea.

"The Beauty of Balance" ...let me guess...karma.

The science underlying gymnastics

"Awakening the Mind: A Celebration of the Life and Work" ...like it ever really sleeps.

Alarm clock technology

"Does science destroy the beauty in the world?" ...ridiculous! Knowing the scientific basis behind a rainbow doesn't destroy its beauty or the childlike excitement you feel when you see one. If anything, that knowledge just makes the experience even cooler.

Dragline excavators and related mining technology
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Like our georgie - the poster child of a certain quote attributed to Einstein - most religious/woo woos hypocritically use the commonly respected (with reason) label they despise and deride because it has proven them false over and over again. Their True Believers™ are so needy and screwed up by their own twisted beliefs, one can sell them literal garbage pulled from a dump as long as it's declared "magical". :lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 pm

gorgeous wrote:like this whacko.... ----"Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." - Niels Bohr
No Gorgeous. You have edited off the beginning of Bohr's 1913 quote. Niels Bohr was talking about the Standard Model of the Atom, which he subsequently co-discovered.

Why do you lie all the time?
:lol:
bohrrutherford-atom.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”