Women's Ways of Knowing

How should we think about weird things?
User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 am

Hmmm...bizarre avatar for this forum. I supposed they're the same across the host program.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19634
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 am

Maybe. It's in the New Age section, a bunch of pretty ladies in there that could be under any other category, cropped as the images are. I like the variety in general.

It's not like we're asking to find the FSM or Yaldabaoth in the menu of some fundi site. :lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:04 am

As Kevin Kelly predicts, the future of A.I. is not more powerful, but more diverse forms of intelligence.

As such, it would be a great asset if there really was a genetically determined difference in which the average man and woman thinks. There is little to be gained by claiming that such a difference would mean that one type is superior to the other: they would of course complement each other, since they have evolved together.

I am also far more relaxed about the extremes of Feminism than many seem to be: Patriarchy had its Ups, but by now its mostly Downs. There is no long-term harm of letting the pendulum swing the other way for a while: men had millennia to mess things up, why not let women try and fail for a while before we find a new equilibrium?
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 am

ElectricMonk wrote:As Kevin Kelly predicts, the future of A.I. is not more powerful, but more diverse forms of intelligence.


How could it possibly not be both?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:As Kevin Kelly predicts, the future of A.I. is not more powerful, but more diverse forms of intelligence.


How could it possibly not be both?


I could just agree with that, but wouldn't that undermine my authority?
Not sure my ego could take admitting that I was not being 100% precise and correct the first time.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 am

...........................and that is the magic of...............................................................Lance.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer
Location: Norway

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby OutOfBreath » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 am

All women have "intuition" is that the gist of the op book?

I agree there's nothing special about intuition apart from being a top-down way of thinking instead of bottom-up. But thats more personality than gender really. I myself tend to be intuitive in my thinking. I arrive fast at a conclusion, and then have to walk it back to see if it matches facts and so on. It's a fast way of thinking, but in my experience also prone to just as much error. (Although i rock at quizes)

As for genetic gender differences, women on average seems to be better at communication and are more socially active and engaged. Now i dunno if nature/nurture is decided on that front, but i think many women are better at reading tells in body language, facial expressions etc. That may seem like a "special" way of knowing, but is just processing consciously or not the information available.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8110
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Poodle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Has no one said it yet? A woman's way of knowing is to ask a man, obviously.
(where's the 'run for cover' emotithing?)
:shark:

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19455
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:49 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I think it's also in the SSF avatar menu, Nikki.


Lance Kennedy wrote:Not necessarily 'sweetie '. Matthew believes gorgeous to be a middle aged, and probably ugly man. I am cynical about any poster who claims to be a beautiful woman. A lot of such claimers turn out to be ugly middle aged men.

I see you missed my viewing him as a pimply faced youngster in his mom's basement since about, oh, forevar. :lol:

I can see him fleeing the demogorgon. :roll:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:15 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:I am also far more relaxed about the extremes of Feminism than many seem to be: Patriarchy had its Ups, but by now its mostly Downs. There is no long-term harm of letting the pendulum swing the other way for a while: men had millennia to mess things up, why not let women try and fail for a while before we find a new equilibrium?

I respectfully disagree, EM. We've seen that kind of thing in practice, historically. Human nature being what it is, if the marginalized or oppressed group changes places with the oppressor, it tends to become the oppressor. I consider myself a feminist, but I am decidedly not a misandrist, and I refuse to paint men with a broad brush. Some men are a problem, but men are not the problem. Frankly, some women are a problem when it comes to feminism. Feminism, to me, also means equality for all women, not merely women of my race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, etc. All women. But it means equality, not superiority.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:I respectfully disagree, EM. We've seen that kind of thing in practice, historically. Human nature being what it is, if the marginalized or oppressed group changes places with the oppressor, it tends to become the oppressor. I consider myself a feminist, but I am decidedly not a misandrist, and I refuse to paint men with a broad brush. Some men are a problem, but men are not the problem. Frankly, some women are a problem when it comes to feminism. Feminism, to me, also means equality for all women, not merely women of my race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, etc. All women. But it means equality, not superiority.


Oh, I fully agree. I'm sure that an Institutional Matriarchy would be a mess, similar to a pure patriarchy - that isn't my point.
But lets imagine for a second that, following a century of white-on-black slavery, we would have had 50 years of black-on-white slavery, followed by total abolition. Don't you think that race relationships might be better by now?
We will never get to the stage where Mothers can sell their sons and husbands into slavery, should they wish so; in a way, this is deeply unfair.
So in order to convince the more unreasonable Feminists out there it might held to give them a disproportionate amount of power quickly, just to show that women might do things differently but not really better. Maybe this way we could learn some lessons that would improve mixed-workforce productivity more than by letting things slowly improve on their own.

I know it's not going to happen, though.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:02 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Oh, I fully agree. I'm sure that an Institutional Matriarchy would be a mess, similar to a pure patriarchy - that isn't my point.
But lets imagine for a second that, following a century of white-on-black slavery, we would have had 50 years of black-on-white slavery, followed by total abolition. Don't you think that race relationships might be better by now?
Let's ask some Palestinians in Gaza if they think that the Israeli government learned humanity from the Holocaust. While we're at it, let's ask Benjamin Netanyahu what lessons he learned from his people's history about empathy for others. Or do you think if we gave them some German Neo-Nazis to torture, that might equalize things? (Note: I'm not condoning the actions of either side of this conflict, but people backed into a corner with nothing to lose will fight...especially when the powers-that-be of the world all seem to support their continued oppression.)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3069
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 pm

A man can dream...

even if it's a nightmare.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 pm

Well, I don't pretend to know what the answer is, EM, but I tend to think we're better off not having any one special interest group in charge. I doubt either one of us will live to see actual equality. Too many people enjoy oppressing others, or feel that others deserve their oppression. There isn't any one reason people draw lines between "them" and "us," so there isn't one solution. I can't help but think that better education and teaching people to think critically would help, though. ;)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9870
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:21 pm

The simple fact is that the problem is HUMANS. It is not 'men are the problem ', or "women are the problem ". It is HUMANS.

If you take a look at history, there are many times when women led their country. There are many times when women led their country into war. Examples include Queen Elizabet I, Mrs. Bandaraneike, Golda Meir, Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher, and so on.

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:34 pm

"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Men and women are equally intuitive.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:The simple fact is that the problem is HUMANS. It is not 'men are the problem ', or "women are the problem ". It is HUMANS.


"The simple fact is that the problem is FISH. It is not 'sharks are the problem ', or "sardines are the problem ". It is FISH."

Life experience should inform us on this issue. In my LIFE........... in the Ocean........my problem has always been SHARKS, not sardines.

Likewise, In my LIFE ................ in society ................ my problem has always been WOMEN.

I mean.............where is your COMMON SENSE...........man?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 pm

FISH is a term ive heard male gay women haters use as a term to make them selves feel better. Shame on you!
Are you over 60? Did you go to boarding school?
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 pm

The problem is social conditioning and nothing to do with the invented genre of gender politics.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Electro432 wrote:The problem is social conditioning and nothing to do with the invented genre of gender politics.


Only a sex denier would say that.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:33 pm

What's a sex denier?
I' ve heard of a haulocaust denier.
Please tell.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:35 pm

I say so as my father worked in engineering and we discussed gender stuff. He said an individuals performance had nothing to do with gender except a boring feminist....
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:37 pm

Electro432 wrote:I say so as my father worked in engineering and we discussed gender stuff. He said an individuals performance had nothing to do with gender except a boring feminist....


Ever try to put 120psi on a break away bolt with a limp wrist?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Electro432 wrote:I say so as my father worked in engineering and we discussed gender stuff. He said an individuals performance had nothing to do with gender except a boring feminist....


Ever try to put 120psi on a break away bolt with a limp wrist?

I'm not sure I get your gist. My wrist is strong for the record and at the traffic lights I outrun the fastest.

Please make your comment clearer.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Electro432 wrote: I'm not sure I get your gist. My wrist is strong for the record and at the traffic lights I outrun the fastest.


Then by the definition given, you do not have a limp wrist and you are separated from the group that does.

I'm not sure I get your gist re traffic lights.........but, no need to respond unless that is also a gender based activity.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Electro432 wrote: I'm not sure I get your gist. My wrist is strong for the record and at the traffic lights I outrun the fastest.


Then by the definition given, you do not have a limp wrist and you are separated from the group that does.

I'm not sure I get your gist re traffic lights.........but, no need to respond unless that is also a gender based activity.

Hahaha.
My traffic lights scenario has been a study for myself supported by my child. I get her to look at the nobby numb knuts that doesnt react fast enough. Its a fifty fifty split in terms of gender balance. There are as many bad male drivers as there are female. It's a simple observation.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:04 am

Sorry, your simple observation is potentially biased in many ways but is in all such cases merely anecdotal.

Whats needed is broad (sic) based statistics. The statistics could well be about equal.....but for different reasons...... all in support of gender and sex differences.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:21 am

I do observation and have a good grounding.
Sorry that you dismiss this like most of my contemporaries.
Same old...... if I had a stenogragher around me my life would be a lot easier.

If the ancients hadn't observed light through a tube then we would still be struggling in terms of cause and effect physics.

Struggle on. I'm just saying as I see. I will also struggle on.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:30 am

Electro432 wrote: Struggle on. I'm just saying as I see. I will also struggle on.

yes, that is the definition of anecdotal. Anecdotal doesn't mean you are wrong..... moreso simply that it has not been confirmed. Or that the data has been collected in a minimally scientific manner so as to exclude other variables you may not be aware of.

A limp wrist issue if you want to over generalize, as some do.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 am

I am anecdotal this is a truism.
Thus I'm open to debate . The data gatherinf people have yet to track me. Id like to see myself as an algorithim... t'would be interesting in terms of my self debunking strategy.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:43 am

truism: people who rely on anecdotal data are more often wrong than right. Its Math.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Electro432
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Electro432 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:55 am

Its more bs.
So long and ta for all the so called phish.

Looks like ive hit yet another social conTROLL.-ed site.
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:03 am

Electro432 wrote: Thus I'm open to debate .
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9870
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:13 am

There are generalisations about the two genders which are largely correct. That is not to say that there is no overlap. There is plenty of overlap in behaviour with some men behaving according to generalised female traits, and some women behaving according to generalised male traits..

Generalisations include : Males are more prone to taking risks. True, which is why fatal accidents more often have males at the wheel. The reason for this, as researchers have demonstrated, is that young females are more attracted to males who take risks than to more cautious males. Natural selection at work.

Males are more prone to being distracted by the opposite gender.

Females are more likely to be overly concerned with their own appearance, and primp a lot more.

But as far as driving is concerned, due to the risk taking, women are generally better.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:18 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: But as far as driving is concerned, due to the risk taking, women are generally better.

so... response time to the light turning green is not a risk taking enterprise according to the only data offered on point in this thread. Seems to me it is, but just not statistically significant?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9870
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:28 am

That, Bobbo, is the overlap I mentioned.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 am

Lance: when you are right, you are right. See how that works?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:52 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Life experience should inform us on this issue. In my LIFE........... in the Ocean........my problem has always been SHARKS, not sardines.

Likewise, In my LIFE ................ in society ................ my problem has always been WOMEN.
If you've always had problems with women, have you considered that the problem might be you, not them? :mrgreen:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10182
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:58 am

Nikki: would you say that about SHARKS?????

Then, why the discrimination?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?


Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest