Women's Ways of Knowing

How should we think about weird things?
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:16 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%2 ... of_Knowing

Is this the most sexist book ever written ? I have my standards and I have no intention of ever reading it, but it has been well reviewed. This book was written by a feminist group who claim that women have their own special ways of knowing things, and those ways basically do not include logic or scientific method.

I see this as a terrible put down of women, although the authors clearly did not intend that. The authors see the realms of logic and science as male dominated, and a place where women will also come under male domination. I see this also as an insult to women. There is no reason why women cannot rise to positions of prominance in science and with the use of solid rational thinking. Women have the intelligence and the drive and energy to succeed in any intellectual pursuit. I also see the message as anti science, and as a disincentive to women to be one part of the scientific world.

My view is that conscious logic and rational thinking, which definitely includes scientific thinking, is the best approach to the discovery of truth, and any message to the contrary is a step backwards, to medieval and sexist ways of life.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Women's Ways of Knowing

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:31 pm

If it makes the little dears happy why not just let them pretend?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 pm

women do sense and know intuitively often when men have no idea what's going on....is it logic mothers use or intuition in raising kids?...more intuition...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 pm

What's dumbass going on about now?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 pm

gorgeous wrote:women do sense and know intuitively often when men have no idea what's going on....

Bull-Shit and you are promoting entrenched sexism.

The claim that women have a unique way of thinking, is a legacy from the social environment we all created and lived in. It has no scientific basis. Removing entrenched sexism is a duty for both males and females together or more properly stated....everyone.

You give your own entrenched sexist behaviour away by adopting the female name "Gorgeous".
:lol:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:06 pm

not thinking, knowing...you are all sexists... women know...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:07 pm

One of the things that I seriously disapprove of is anything that promotes intuition at the expense of good conscious reasoning. Intuition is very, very misleading. It is a subconscious thought process which is utterly indiscriminating in the data used to draw conclusions. One of the most common influences on intuitive thinking is prejudice. It is also characterised by emotional 'logic '. Thus intuitions are always unreliable and misleading. If women are told they have special intuitive powers, that is an insult and a lie. It is equivalent to being told they are idiots.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:11 pm

hardly....why do you tell women what should insult them?.....men and women are different for a reason...I also have psychic powers.... :mrgreen:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Intuition - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition

Intuition is the ability to acquire knowledge without proof, evidence, or conscious reasoning, or without understanding how the knowledge was acquired.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 pm

gorgeous wrote:.I also have psychic powers....

What exact psychic powers do you have Gorgeous? :lol:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:24 pm

told before....pay attention...my breasts have power too...they render men speechless and unable to think... :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:30 pm

gorgeous wrote:told before....pay attention...my breasts have power too...they render men speechless and unable to think... :lol:
Men don't have breasts Gorgeous. Old men do. Thanks for the offer by I think we will all pass. :lol:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:32 pm

some women have been obsessed with them too...

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:32 pm

gorgeous wrote:...I also have psychotic powers.... :mrgreen:

Yes, you do.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:33 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:...It is equivalent to being told they are idiots.

But georgie likes that. It makes him feel alive and validated. Poor thing... :(

Lard, save me from your followers.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:34 pm

speak for yourself

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:40 pm

gorgeous wrote:some women have been obsessed with them too...
So women also share your obsession with saggy older male tits? err ummm thanks mate... :shock:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:42 pm

don't be dumb..

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
gorgeous wrote:some women have been obsessed with them too...
So women also share your obsession with saggy older male tits? err ummm thanks mate... :shock:

Georgie likes these ones best. They have the smell of excess.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Gorgeous

Intuition has been the subject of a great deal of scientific research. No psychic powers have ever been discovered, but the research has clearly shown that it is not a reliable method of drawing conclusions. If anyone has an intuitive understanding, it is best to ponder it well, and determine if that understanding stacks up against conscious logic and an examination of the data and assumptions involved.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:16 am

The CIA was the first organization to fund research. Their program established that:
~ Geographical features can be ascertained with remote viewing.
~ Descriptive aspects of a site are better described than analytical aspects.
~ Operationally-useful information can be obtained.
~ Coordinate and beacon remote viewing can be successful.
~ Standard medical/physiological/psychologicaI screening is not useful.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:18 am

I don't see the authors' "ways of knowing" as being specific to women. The descriptions seem to describe modes of thinking at varying levels of maturity and normalcy, which applies to everyone regardless of gender.

The "silence" position—characterized by a fragile sense of self, a fear of authority, a lack of internal dialogue, no sense of connection with others, and a feeling of being incapable of knowing or thinking—would seem to apply to anyone who experienced abuse, and I wouldn't consider this position to be "normal" as such, but artificially imposed by the abuse.

The "received knowledge" position—characterized by the perception of knowledge as a set of absolute truths received from infallible authorities—is typical of anyone who is young and inexperienced...or ignorant. It doesn't involve thinking about knowledge, but merely parroting what is learned from others.

The "subjective knowledge" position—characterized by the recognition of the self as a knowledge authority—is typical of most people, who seem to think their opinions carry the weight of proven facts. This group generally distrusts analysis and logical reasoning and sees no value in weighing evidence when evaluating knowledge. People with strong confirmation biases and baseless beliefs would belong in this group (like you, gorgeous).

The "procedural knowledge" position—characterized by evaluating the accuracy of external truths and the relative worth of the authorities providing them—is a more mature mode of thought. This position is subdivided into two types. Separate: focused on critical analysis that excludes personal feelings and beliefs. Connected: seeking to understand others' ideas and viewpoints, emphasizing the relevance of context in the development of knowledge, and the fundamental value of experience.

The "constructed knowledge" position—characterized by the belief that all knowledge is constructed, inherently mutable, and subject to time, experience, and context—involves integrating external truths with the internal self via intense self-reflection.

None of these modes of thought is specific to women, and I'm baffled as to why they're labeled that way, and as to the purpose of the study (which, I note, only involved 135 women). I mean, it's interesting to analyze the ways in which people think, but I see no reason for the gender separation.

Also, "women's intuition" is a bunch of psychobabble. Intuitive reasoning, IMO, is a conclusion based on knowledge you have, but either don't know you have, or have forgotten you have. The brain records into memory tons more information that merely what you happen to be paying attention to at any given moment.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:19 am

gorgeous wrote:told before....pay attention...my breasts have power too...they render men speechless and unable to think... :lol:
That's nothing special, sweetheart. Mine have that power too.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:22 am

some women are like men and not in touch with their intuition...and some men have great intuition ...cops use it, some docs do,

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:23 am

mine are special....believe me... :mrgreen:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:24 am

Lance: you are condemning a book you haven't and refuse to read?

...................Very intuitive on your part.

........................................................................................ Keep stroking your womanhood.

aka: What Nikki said.

Take twin eggs. Flood one with testosterone, the other with estrogen. Check back in 18 years.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:33 am

gorgeous wrote:mine are special....believe me... :mrgreen:
Fake tits.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:37 am

Ha, ha.

You Know: I have never seen or heard of the following EVER in my life. But just imagine what differences might be "if" males as we all are RIGHT NOW with the hormones and genetics and such were magically subject to getting pregnant when having sex.

Any?

Among many others, I think immediately we might become more empathetic. but who knows.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:47 am

that must be Ellard's only toy... :lol:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:47 am

Be serious, Bobbo. If men had breasts, y'all would never leave home. :lol:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:49 am

Britain's first pregnant man gives birth to girl | The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk › News › UK › Home News

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 am

gorgeous wrote:Britain's first pregnant man gives birth to girl
You really can't read whole sentences at all, can you? :lol:

Two British men have become the first in the country to give birth after putting their gender transitions on hold.

Hayden Cross, 21, and Scott Parker, 23, were both born women

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:56 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:00 am

I've passed larger kidney stones. I'd stop having sex to avoid them, if that was a cure.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:00 am

Do you just randomly click on links, then post whatever your cursor happens to land on? Seriously, dude, you have Internet Tourette's.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 am

gorgeous wrote:I am special....believe me... :donkey:

We know, sweetie, we know...

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:26 am

Not necessarily 'sweetie '. Matthew believes gorgeous to be a middle aged, and probably ugly man. I am cynical about any poster who claims to be a beautiful woman. A lot of such claimers turn out to be ugly middle aged men.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:49 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Matthew believes gorgeous to be a middle aged,

Gorgeous constantly quotes the wisdom of "Seth" the channeled alien. Seth was channeled by Jane Roberts in the early 1960s. Jane Roberts died in 1984 and that was the end of "Seth".

Let us pretend Gorgeous was 25 when he first followed Seth in the 1970's, at its peak. forty seven years ago.

Do the mathematics.
:D

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:56 am

Well, that's certainly not his/her picture. It's from this page, among other "woo" pages.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:03 am

I think it's also in the SSF avatar menu, Nikki.

Lance Kennedy wrote:Not necessarily 'sweetie '. Matthew believes gorgeous to be a middle aged, and probably ugly man. I am cynical about any poster who claims to be a beautiful woman. A lot of such claimers turn out to be ugly middle aged men.

I see you missed my viewing him as a pimply faced youngster in his mom's basement since about, oh, forevar. :lol:

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”