Politically correct nonsense.

How should we think about weird things?
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Politically correct nonsense.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:42 pm

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/con ... aba2d2db27

The reference above is to an article in the on line free version of Skeptic. The authors describe a hoax, in which they write a totally meaningless article, and get it published in a peer reviewed and reputable social journal. The key to getting it published was to make it politically correct by being antagonistic to males. It is about the conceptual penis and is utterly meaningless.

An example is talking of a man sitting with legs spread as being conceptually raping the space in front of him. Duh!

How sick is society that such deliberate nonsense is published? My kudos to the authors who have made a sound point in relation to politically correct bullshet.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Politically correct nonsense.

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat May 20, 2017 3:59 am

Rubbish.

So what if it got published? Publication is a business, and in social sciences it is really not worth the bother to get into disputes about what is and what isn't worthy prior to publication in a very minor journal.

I mean, I couldn't even find an Impact Factor for the Journal in question, never mind the number of times the article was cited elsewhere.

It is very wise to err on the side of publication even of material of questionable worth: at least then people can see and criticize it.

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with "Political Correctness gone mad" - it's just easy to publish articles in the soft sciences if you don't care where it's printed.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Sat May 20, 2017 4:02 am

:award:
Excellent stuff.
...is an enduring source of abuse for women and other gender-marginalized groups and individuals, is the universal performative source of rape, and is the conceptual driver behind much of climate change...

:lol: :lol:

I'm still reading, I've never laughed so much since me granny caught her tits in the mangle. But WTF did they reveal the hoax so soon? They should have let the wankers run with it, but then what's the point, taking the piss out of postmodernists is like shooting sandwiches in wheel barrow.

Edit. They (cogentoa) just have to be setting up some sort of reverse gotcha, a backfire. They had this thing for over a month before publication and no one spotted this drivel for what it is? I refuse to believe there isn't more to the story than this.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun May 21, 2017 10:27 pm

I looked, but couldn`t find reference to who the reviewers were, being single blind and all. Cogent doesn`t indicate that their reviewers are themselves appropriate reviewers for the article in question. Nor is there indication whether the reviewers know each other and share their review comments with each other prior to giving their own final `vote` on whether to recommend to publish or to reject.

As an assistant to a reviewer in the field of honeybee research, I found the give and take between reviewers, and the feedback provided to the author, to be quite valuable in finding flaws and permitting authors to correct them and re-submit for review. It also permitted a reviewer to reject the review request if he found the other reviewers to be sub-par.

My guess is that Cogent, in not better describing their review process, is simply lax in managing reviews, and may not be correctly described as being a peer-review publication.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 22, 2017 12:14 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: An example is talking of a man sitting with legs spread as being conceptually raping the space in front of him. Duh!

Well.................... thats what I'm doing............ on a good day. Ha, ha...... thats exactly how all of us sit in front of our computers?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:51 am

Hilarious, but not surprising when so many people seem to be in a permanent state of being offended.
That having been said, if you gentlemen would stop metaphorically raping nature with your conceptual penises, we could hypothetically get climate change under control. :wgrin:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 am

Free beer for keeping your knees together, gents!
There - that should do the trick.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:35 am

The Very Bad Wizards have a good Podcast about why this has nothing to do with excessive PC:

https://verybadwizards.fireside.fm/116

Basically, the authors got rejected by an actual gender-study journal and then turned to a pay-to-publish no-name journal. Peer-review worked just fine in this case.
I'm happy with my penis, conceptual or otherwise.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:44 am

So...............like everything else: there is good peer review, and bad peer review, and points inbetween as well as fake?

Why is it so hard to find something to believe in?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:So..............Why is it so hard to find somethingone to believe in?

You can always believe in Trump... (or Hillary) :lol:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:37 pm

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed anymore. There's no point believing in things that exist." — Terry Pratchett

It's easy to find something to believe it...just close your eyes.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:46 pm

LunaNik wrote: It's easy to find something to believe it...just close your eyes.

I'm not getting anything.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:22 pm

Yeah, it doesn't work for me either. I just fall asleep.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 pm

Hmmmmm.

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/22/why-the ... -skeptics/

Why the “Conceptual Penis” hoax was a bust: It only reveals the lack of skepticism among skeptics
A pair of "skeptics" published a bogus paper to undermine the field of gender studies. It blew up in their faces

...Submitting an article on gender studies to that particular journal and then claiming that its publication proves that gender studies is idiotic is tantamount to a creationist writing a fake article about evolutionary biology, publishing it in an unknown pay-to-publish non-biology journal (whose editorial board includes no one with expertise in evolutionary biology), and then exclaiming, “See! The entire field of evolutionary biology is complete nonsense.”...

Hmmm, hmmmmmm. I don't know what to think. I don't see how their article "reveals the lack of skepticism among skeptics", but I also don't see how it does what Boghossian and Lindsay think it does either.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:27 am

Gord wrote:Hmmmmm.

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/22/why-the ... -skeptics/

Why the “Conceptual Penis” hoax was a bust: It only reveals the lack of skepticism among skeptics
A pair of "skeptics" published a bogus paper to undermine the field of gender studies. It blew up in their faces

...Submitting an article on gender studies to that particular journal and then claiming that its publication proves that gender studies is idiotic is tantamount to a creationist writing a fake article about evolutionary biology, publishing it in an unknown pay-to-publish non-biology journal (whose editorial board includes no one with expertise in evolutionary biology), and then exclaiming, “See! The entire field of evolutionary biology is complete nonsense.”...

Hmmm, hmmmmmm. I don't know what to think. I don't see how their article "reveals the lack of skepticism among skeptics", but I also don't see how it does what Boghossian and Lindsay think it does either.

I agree that the Salon author, Phil Torres, fails to prove his titular point. Then again, it's Salon. I gave up reading their articles early on in the election when they insisted on click bait titling like this, followed by an article that had nothing to do with the title.

Boghossian and Lindsay certainly proved that that particular pay-to-play journal, Cogent Social Sciences, is worthless, and the studies that Torres included in his article seem to show that pay-to-play is a poor model for journals in general, which isn't at all surprising. If Torres is correct, and the review panel for that particular journal included no one with expertise in gender studies, then Boghossian and Lindsay absolutely failed to prove their main point.

However, Torres' point would have been better made without his emotional posturing, IMO, which is emblematic of the culture of the eternally offended.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:10 pm

LunaNik wrote:Yeah, it doesn't work for me either. I just fall asleep.

Sleep is something to believe in. See? It is working for you.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:41 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
LunaNik wrote:Yeah, it doesn't work for me either. I just fall asleep.

Sleep is something to believe in. See? It is working for you.

I wish it would work at night, too. Maybe my faith is weak. :wgrin:

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”