Politically correct nonsense.

How should we think about weird things?
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Politically correct nonsense.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:42 pm

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/con ... aba2d2db27

The reference above is to an article in the on line free version of Skeptic. The authors describe a hoax, in which they write a totally meaningless article, and get it published in a peer reviewed and reputable social journal. The key to getting it published was to make it politically correct by being antagonistic to males. It is about the conceptual penis and is utterly meaningless.

An example is talking of a man sitting with legs spread as being conceptually raping the space in front of him. Duh!

How sick is society that such deliberate nonsense is published? My kudos to the authors who have made a sound point in relation to politically correct bullshet.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Politically correct nonsense.

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat May 20, 2017 3:59 am

Rubbish.

So what if it got published? Publication is a business, and in social sciences it is really not worth the bother to get into disputes about what is and what isn't worthy prior to publication in a very minor journal.

I mean, I couldn't even find an Impact Factor for the Journal in question, never mind the number of times the article was cited elsewhere.

It is very wise to err on the side of publication even of material of questionable worth: at least then people can see and criticize it.

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with "Political Correctness gone mad" - it's just easy to publish articles in the soft sciences if you don't care where it's printed.
"'I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I promise I won't do it again."
- Daddy Pig

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Sat May 20, 2017 4:02 am

:award:
Excellent stuff.
...is an enduring source of abuse for women and other gender-marginalized groups and individuals, is the universal performative source of rape, and is the conceptual driver behind much of climate change...

:lol: :lol:

I'm still reading, I've never laughed so much since me granny caught her tits in the mangle. But WTF did they reveal the hoax so soon? They should have let the wankers run with it, but then what's the point, taking the piss out of postmodernists is like shooting sandwiches in wheel barrow.

Edit. They (cogentoa) just have to be setting up some sort of reverse gotcha, a backfire. They had this thing for over a month before publication and no one spotted this drivel for what it is? I refuse to believe there isn't more to the story than this.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun May 21, 2017 10:27 pm

I looked, but couldn`t find reference to who the reviewers were, being single blind and all. Cogent doesn`t indicate that their reviewers are themselves appropriate reviewers for the article in question. Nor is there indication whether the reviewers know each other and share their review comments with each other prior to giving their own final `vote` on whether to recommend to publish or to reject.

As an assistant to a reviewer in the field of honeybee research, I found the give and take between reviewers, and the feedback provided to the author, to be quite valuable in finding flaws and permitting authors to correct them and re-submit for review. It also permitted a reviewer to reject the review request if he found the other reviewers to be sub-par.

My guess is that Cogent, in not better describing their review process, is simply lax in managing reviews, and may not be correctly described as being a peer-review publication.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 22, 2017 12:14 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: An example is talking of a man sitting with legs spread as being conceptually raping the space in front of him. Duh!

Well.................... thats what I'm doing............ on a good day. Ha, ha...... thats exactly how all of us sit in front of our computers?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:51 am

Hilarious, but not surprising when so many people seem to be in a permanent state of being offended.
That having been said, if you gentlemen would stop metaphorically raping nature with your conceptual penises, we could hypothetically get climate change under control. :wgrin:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 am

Free beer for keeping your knees together, gents!
There - that should do the trick.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:35 am

The Very Bad Wizards have a good Podcast about why this has nothing to do with excessive PC:

https://verybadwizards.fireside.fm/116

Basically, the authors got rejected by an actual gender-study journal and then turned to a pay-to-publish no-name journal. Peer-review worked just fine in this case.
I'm happy with my penis, conceptual or otherwise.
- Daddy Pig

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:44 am

So...............like everything else: there is good peer review, and bad peer review, and points inbetween as well as fake?

Why is it so hard to find something to believe in?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:So..............Why is it so hard to find somethingone to believe in?

You can always believe in Trump... (or Hillary) :lol:

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:37 pm

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed anymore. There's no point believing in things that exist." — Terry Pratchett

It's easy to find something to believe it...just close your eyes.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:46 pm

LunaNik wrote: It's easy to find something to believe it...just close your eyes.

I'm not getting anything.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:22 pm

Yeah, it doesn't work for me either. I just fall asleep.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 pm

Hmmmmm.

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/22/why-the ... -skeptics/

Why the “Conceptual Penis” hoax was a bust: It only reveals the lack of skepticism among skeptics
A pair of "skeptics" published a bogus paper to undermine the field of gender studies. It blew up in their faces

...Submitting an article on gender studies to that particular journal and then claiming that its publication proves that gender studies is idiotic is tantamount to a creationist writing a fake article about evolutionary biology, publishing it in an unknown pay-to-publish non-biology journal (whose editorial board includes no one with expertise in evolutionary biology), and then exclaiming, “See! The entire field of evolutionary biology is complete nonsense.”...

Hmmm, hmmmmmm. I don't know what to think. I don't see how their article "reveals the lack of skepticism among skeptics", but I also don't see how it does what Boghossian and Lindsay think it does either.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:27 am

Gord wrote:Hmmmmm.

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/22/why-the ... -skeptics/

Why the “Conceptual Penis” hoax was a bust: It only reveals the lack of skepticism among skeptics
A pair of "skeptics" published a bogus paper to undermine the field of gender studies. It blew up in their faces

...Submitting an article on gender studies to that particular journal and then claiming that its publication proves that gender studies is idiotic is tantamount to a creationist writing a fake article about evolutionary biology, publishing it in an unknown pay-to-publish non-biology journal (whose editorial board includes no one with expertise in evolutionary biology), and then exclaiming, “See! The entire field of evolutionary biology is complete nonsense.”...

Hmmm, hmmmmmm. I don't know what to think. I don't see how their article "reveals the lack of skepticism among skeptics", but I also don't see how it does what Boghossian and Lindsay think it does either.

I agree that the Salon author, Phil Torres, fails to prove his titular point. Then again, it's Salon. I gave up reading their articles early on in the election when they insisted on click bait titling like this, followed by an article that had nothing to do with the title.

Boghossian and Lindsay certainly proved that that particular pay-to-play journal, Cogent Social Sciences, is worthless, and the studies that Torres included in his article seem to show that pay-to-play is a poor model for journals in general, which isn't at all surprising. If Torres is correct, and the review panel for that particular journal included no one with expertise in gender studies, then Boghossian and Lindsay absolutely failed to prove their main point.

However, Torres' point would have been better made without his emotional posturing, IMO, which is emblematic of the culture of the eternally offended.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:10 pm

LunaNik wrote:Yeah, it doesn't work for me either. I just fall asleep.

Sleep is something to believe in. See? It is working for you.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:41 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
LunaNik wrote:Yeah, it doesn't work for me either. I just fall asleep.

Sleep is something to believe in. See? It is working for you.

I wish it would work at night, too. Maybe my faith is weak. :wgrin:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:00 pm

fox------'God bless you' and 'Merry Christmas' deemed Islamophobic 'microaggressions' by college librarians group -------idiots...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Indeed, Fox is a bunch of idiots.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 am

I'm pretty sure a gathering of foxes is either an earth, a leash, or a skulk. Therefore Fox would be [one of those] of idiots.

Fox is an earth of idiots.
Fox is a leash of idiots.
Fox is a skulk of idiots.

Personally, I think of them as a skulk, I wish they were a leash, and I fear they are an earth.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 am

The correct collective term is "ignore ".

Not an ignore of idiots. The correct phrase is simply "ignore the idiots" .

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:05 am

I thought a popular category of Political Correctness was ...............................................Hate Speech.

aka: "Is an Ox being gored?"..............."I dunno. Is it MY OX?"

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Interesting closer issue here regarding Google's Censorship of Mike Rowe and his "commencement address" at Prager U (a thread on this is on this site)

This issue is set forth here with the video allowed back up which follows.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2017/10/y ... ur-passion

https://youtu.be/CVEuPmVAb8o

Hate Speech/Political Correctness/Private Censorship NOT government Censorship/Protecting Our Youth/Our Failing Education system representing Wealth Disparity and the destruction of the Middle Class.

Lots of interweaving issues.................I don't know WHAT I would do or advise a kiddie looking to make his way in this world today. In Ca...I got a fine education almost for "free." It should be available to anyone with the aptitude and desire to do so.

I pity the kiddies.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:56 pm

fox-----A Democratic mayor’s warning to illegal immigrants of an incoming ICE raid in northern California may have led to a number of illegal immigrants with violent and sex-related convictions evading capture and deportation.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:08 am

FAKE NEWS ALERT!!!
FAKE NEWS ALERT!!!
trump is Putin's bitch

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:29 am

Stanley Freberg, an American comedian, was making fun of politically correct behaviour in the 1950s. It is still funny today. Here is Stanley trying to sing "Ole Man River" while the politically correct police are buzzing him to become more politically correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLlTlYfqQV4

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:37 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I don't know WHAT I would do or advise a kiddie looking to make his way in this world today. In Ca...I got a fine education almost for "free." It should be available to anyone with the aptitude and desire to do so.

I pity the kiddies.

THAT IS EXACLY WHY I DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN DESPITE A VERY KEEN PARTNER OF 14 YAERS AND A STABLE FINANCIAL SITUATION. Anyone who brings a child to this world today i.e. imposes life on a creature, is either ignorant, stupid, selfish, or all at the same time. Sorry guys, but there really is no other way to explain it. It's not a miracle, it's a simple primate/animalistic hormonal need to, essentially f*ck and reproduce, nothing more, rats and rabbits do the same, be more intelligent.

I appreciate this will not be a popular post but what the hell...maybe it will make a prospective parent with more than a half a brain think ahead...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:29 am

Mara: that....but I think lots of people actually want to RAISE the critters as well. Probably our most complex totally not thought about behavior.....

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:38 am

Having children is hereditary. Don't argue with nature.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:27 am

My kiddies have parents who never had kiddies, so they won't either! It is the role of man to argue with nature. Can't fly"-->build an airplane. Too stupid by nature to formulate a cogent argument?==>buy a dictionary.

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:18 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:but I think lots of people actually want to RAISE the critters as well.

ahhh...see, that's the illusion our animalistic chemical reactions like hormones make us believe in...not that much more different to when we crave chocolate... We are not as free as we think...Why would a person really want to rise a child? Let's break it down... social context, family pressures, culture, biological clock, boredom, relationship insecurity, hope they will take care of you when you get old, future tax payers, because everyone around is having children, evolutionary fulfilment, participation in consumerism? - do you see anything nobel along the lines of 'a miracle of life' in here? I certainly not. It's not complex at all,it's simple. There is no non-selfish, non-ignorant, intelligent reason to bring a child to this world today.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Anti-Natalism is a form of vanity.
It's not about you,or your children: it's about their great-great-xxx-grandchildren and what they will achieve.
- Daddy Pig

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Mara wrote: There is no non-selfish, non-ignorant, intelligent reason to bring a child to this world today.

Like everything else we do after securing food, clothing, shelter: its whatever floats your boat. In the end, our intelligence swims in an ocean of emotion...peer pressure....social norms. In a meaningless universe....we are lucky to have it.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:25 pm

TJrandom wrote:As an assistant to a reviewer in the field of honeybee research...

Male drone bees are gang rapists. They all chase the new queens until she's too tired to fight them all off and then have their way with her. The bee patriarchy is real! Bee rape culture is real! #BeesToo!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: Can't fly"-->build an airplane. Too stupid by nature to formulate a cogent argument?==>buy a dictionary. watch Fox News

Buying a dictionary merely provides more words with which to make a bad argument.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:29 pm

OTB==I'm sure that happens all the time.................but correctly used.............. just read a bunch of words and see how they relate to one another, what distinctions they make, perhaps the history of the word etc. The dictionary is more than a simply source for an accepted meaning of the word except for the simplest of tomes. I can actually read the Oxford for quite some time for the enjoyment, history, philosophy, education it contains. .......... but then ......... I stare at maps too.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:35 pm

See? No connection to making a cogent argument. :mrgreen:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:51 pm

I agree 78% with Mara. The other 22% of me will cling to my chocolate until someone pries it from my cold dead hand!
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 pm

...wait...78+22 = ....

Yeah, okay, I got it right! It's 100.

Just had to check. :-|
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Gord wrote:...wait...78+22 = ....

Yeah, okay, I got it right! It's 100.

Just had to check. :-|

What? Where is the 'don't know' category? There is always a 'don't know' category. Even if the question is "Would you like your liver pulled out and stuffed into a piñata?"

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”