Risk

How should we think about weird things?
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Risk

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri May 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Several years ago, my wife and I decided we wanted to visit Egypt. We were warned by friends that it was a dangerous place to go to, because of terrorist attacks on tourists. A quick check on google revealed that, over the past 20 odd years, something like 1,000 tourists have been killed or wounded by terrorists in Egypt. Did this make the risk too high?

Well, a further look revealed that the risk was much higher for Israelis, and lower for people like me (from New Zealand). I also noted that the total number of tourists was between 5 and 10 million per year. Over 20 years, total about 150 million. 1000 out of 150 million means that only 1 in 150,000 tourists in Egypt gets killed or wounded by terrorists. We judged the risk acceptable and went to Egypt. We enjoyed the trip immensely, and found it not only enjoyable, but educational and enlightening.

What are your views on risk? Where do you consider a risk acceptable?

Nobrot
Poster

Re: Risk

Postby Nobrot » Sat May 06, 2017 12:14 am

Lance let it go ffs.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 12:22 am

Did I miss another thread on Risk?

Having traveled everywhere myself.........I find Risk Management to always make sense. When I finally notice I'm the last white guy in the bar...........I leave.

Ha, ha....that actually does remind me of a true story. In jaimaica, North Shore, fewer tourists....at an off dirt road bar and dance hall with the locals. My practice is to buy the bar a round and talk to the good people. All was going well for a few hours and one of the locals grabbed my arm and asked me what time it was. I responded (8PM or whatever early hour it was) and he said: "Time for you to go." I thanked him, bought him a beer, and did exactly that.

Richard Pryor reminded me of this Risk Management in a comedy routine he did about getting in trouble with the cops because "he was in the vicinity." Same jokes apply.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat May 06, 2017 12:25 am

In contrast, we headed over to Istanbul as soon as the Taksim Square riots started. It all depends on what you like to do when on holidays.
Turkey.jpg

There is nothing more relaxing than being served tea in a local coffee shop while the patrons, smoke chat and assist rioters throwing cars through the window of the Starbucks across the road, before returning for cakes. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 12:31 am

I have to admit to being nervous while riots were going on ............... and I was in uniform. Not that an air Force haircut and pegged jeans didn't stand out like a sore thumb just as much....well.... compared to an actual uniform.... not quite as much.

When in uniform, I always accepted the fact I could be attacked for being military. Never happened though..... even as the Shah got deposed.

Dare I mention: more hostility for being a Yankee while in the South of the USA than anywhere else in the world?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat May 06, 2017 12:37 am

I enjoy travel. I guess that makes me less risk averse in relation to foreign places than most. I suspect my trip to the Solomon Islands one year ago was even more risky, due to the fact that it is in the malaria zone (also dengue fever, and a couple of other nasties). I was not permitted to donate blood till about 7 months after I got back, because of that risk.

On the other hand, my wife and I often suggest the greatest risk when travelling is the car trip to the airport.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat May 06, 2017 12:50 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I have to admit to being nervous while riots were going on ............... and I was in uniform. Not that an air Force haircut and pegged jeans didn't stand out like a sore thumb just as much....well.... compared to an actual uniform.... not quite as much.

Two tradecraft tricks. Firstly, dress as a local and drop the uniform. Secondly it is easier to disappear into a full on riot, than a quiet room where everyone immediately looks at you. :D

There is somewhat of an advantage being an Australian or New Zealander when no one overseas knows anything about Australia or New Zealand. :D

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 1:07 am

Can't drop the uniform when I'm on the way to drive the airplane. I suppose I could change in the cockpit....but it wasn't standard practice. I have no personal experience, but I'd be surprised if a rioter would ask me my nationality prior to exercising his righteous revenge. I always said I was Canadian.

We were both surprised when I was on the street in my civies looking for Hooka's or Persian Rugs and a native woman came up to me and rattled off what I took to be a request for map directions. I said: "I'm sorry I don't speak Persian. Parley vous Frances or Sprekenzie Dutch?" She turned beet red and ran off. I looked at myself in the glass window reflection and kept on shopping. Decided they were too expensive and bought some pistachios instead.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat May 06, 2017 1:23 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I always said I was Canadian.
I have a variety of patches sewn onto my jackets saying "Australia" generally with at least one image of a kangaroo.

In more than one heated moment have I lifted my two hands up like paws and hopped back and forth, while making tsk tsk kangaroo noises. Frowns turn to laughter and the locals feel sorry for the obviously mentally handicapped Australian. :D

Now think how hard it is for a New Zealander to act like a Kiwi to sooth the angry mob. Suck eggs New Zealand!
:lol:

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat May 06, 2017 1:58 am

I wore a jacket with the words "New Zealand" prominent. It backfired on me, since everyone thought I would buy their carpets! Some of the vendors are really sharp. After the first day, I had people greeting me with 'Kia Ora" (Maori for howdy).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 2:14 am

Weird to me that anyone would "label" themselves ..... no matter what the label is. Hmmmm..... could well be "my" issue. I'm not embarrassed or maneuvering. The existential question: what does it mean? None of my clothes have words or symbols on them. Just multiple vest pockets.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Sat May 06, 2017 2:30 am

I worked in Lagos for six years.
Thread/

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat May 06, 2017 2:44 am

It was not planned, Bobbo.
I had a thin jacket, suitable for a warm climate, and had it altered to fit internal pockets with zips, so that my passport, wallet etc would be safe from pick pockets. I actually did not realise how obvious the words were till after I got there. I had to admire how commercially astute the vendors were, even while hating their attentions.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat May 06, 2017 3:27 am

I always try to take Australia and hold it while everyone else fights over their own continents.

https://www.boardgamebeast.com/risk-boa ... ralia.html
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat May 06, 2017 6:59 am

Gord wrote:I always try to take Australia and hold it while everyone else fights over their own continents.
"There are four territories in Australia – Indonesia, New Guinea, Western Australia and Eastern Australia.

Shhhhhh..... We don't want people to know the Australian Empire is still expanding.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 8:56 am

I (used to) love Risk, when the players know how to play. Its about making alliances and when to break them. With good players...no one ever wins, the alliances just keep changing. Thats with my modified rules and board. You can attack from Peru to Africa. Also a limit to the number of armies awarded....thats what makes alliances the key...not how long you last until you win not by your play but by being the first one to massive armies. Thats chance.... not strategy.

Haven't played any of the electronic versions of the game. Would I have to learn code?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat May 06, 2017 10:38 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:In contrast, we headed over to Istanbul as soon as the Taksim Square riots started. It all depends on what you like to do when on holidays. Turkey.jpg
There is nothing more relaxing than being served tea in a local coffee shop while the patrons, smoke chat and assist rioters throwing cars through the window of the Starbucks across the road, before returning for cakes. :D

That's a ... gorgeous ... vehicle. :mrgreen:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:It was not planned, Bobbo.
I had a thin jacket, suitable for a warm climate, and had it altered to fit internal pockets with zips, so that my passport, wallet etc would be safe from pick pockets. I actually did not realise how obvious the words were till after I got there. I had to admire how commercially astute the vendors were, even while hating their attentions.

How did you had the jacket in the first place?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat May 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Risk lost all attraction when I started playing Diplomacy; The Colonial Diplomacy version is good, too.
Great way to lose friends due to the need to lie to their face and backstab them when they depend most on you.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat May 06, 2017 8:19 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Risk lost all attraction when I started playing Diplomacy; The Colonial Diplomacy version is good, too.
Great way to lose friends due to the need to lie to their face and backstab them when they depend most on you.

"Its a Game" stated before, during, and after what can only be seen as a game has no meaning to them????? I don't think they'd make good diplomats?

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 pm

Gord wrote:I always try to take Australia and hold it while everyone else fights over their own continents.

https://www.boardgamebeast.com/risk-boa ... ralia.html

Risk is a horrible game.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat May 06, 2017 11:34 pm

I was great at risk. I've unprotected sex on five continents. Never caught anything.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat May 06, 2017 11:40 pm

That you know about!

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat May 06, 2017 11:49 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:That you know about!

The last time I was OutUS was in 1989, so I'm good.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon May 08, 2017 4:43 am

ElectricMonk wrote:Risk lost all attraction when I started playing Diplomacy

Is that the one where you build up your technology and put boomers off other people's shores?

Yeah, I played Diplomacy a few times. The problem was, it had expansion sets, and my friends and I wanted them all. It got really complicated. The last time we "played", we spent all day setting it up and never actually played.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon May 08, 2017 5:07 am

Gord wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:Risk lost all attraction when I started playing Diplomacy

Is that the one where you build up your technology and put boomers off other people's shores?

Yeah, I played Diplomacy a few times. The problem was, it had expansion sets, and my friends and I wanted them all. It got really complicated. The last time we "played", we spent all day setting it up and never actually played.

True - we usually got through one game by sequestering ourselves to a cabin for the weekend - with little sleep.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon May 08, 2017 7:15 am

You had a cabin?! We had a basement with a purpose-built table for playing wargames.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

For quite a while now - we have all been suspecting that you have late onset... better get checked.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon May 08, 2017 11:24 am

TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

For quite a while now - we have all been suspecting that you have late onset... better get checked.

It wasn't "late", I enlisted in 1969.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
I have a variety of patches sewn onto my jackets saying "Australia" generally with at least one image of a kangaroo.

I have a beaver...no, not there I am a guy, Jeeeeees.... On my jacket and a gigantic Canadian flag. When I was in Eastern Europe people used to complement me on a nice picture of a rabbit on my back. :shock:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue May 09, 2017 12:00 am

Flash wrote:I have a beaver...no, not there I am a guy, Jeeeeees.... On my jacket and a gigantic Canadian flag. When I was in Eastern Europe people used to complement me on a nice picture of a rabbit on my back. :shock:

An Australian, a New Zealander, a Canadian and an Englishman find themselves surrounded by an angry local lynch mob who can't speak English.

The Australian points at his kangaroo logo, lifts his hands up like paws and bounces around making Kangaroo noises. The mob lets him go as obviously insane.

The New Zealander points at his kiwi logo, bends over, dangles one arm in front of his head like a long beak and runs around the room as though he can't take off. The mob lets him go as obviously insane.

The Canadian points at his beaver logo, starts gnawing at the base of the closest tree and then pats down a pile of sticks using his bottom. The mob lets him go as obviously insane.

The Englishman points at his unicorn logo, raised his middle finger of his closed fist and raises it slowly to the top of his head while looking directly at the mob. The mob lynch him immediately....the rude bastard
:D

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”