Street Epistimology

How should we think about weird things?
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Street Epistimology

Postby fromthehills » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 am

What do you folks think about it?

I'm hooked on watching it, and interested in the results, but not certain how I feel about it. I love seeing the Socratic method in action, and perhaps I feel this should be my approach to the religious. But actively approaching the religious seems a bit Jdub or Mormon to me

https://youtu.be/0J5XhHPg6vI for example

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: Street Epistimology

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:49 am

The second title of the link is "SE: Dean | Untested Faith Not Worth Having " and that is what the first 2 minutes of the video is about. IE: unwatchable drivel.

Evidently "SE" is about some kind of repackaging of very old debates..... I don't care enough to find out just what.

Being closed minded (Mind Made Up) on a subject sure does save time.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:40 am

I think it's an old, old situation.
Either you believe or you don't. If you truly believe (rather than paying lip service) then nothing's going to shift that. If you admit that there may be some presently unknown thing which may dilute your belief, then you're agnostic - you don't KNOW. And if you really don't believe then you're an atheist.
I can't see any other possible option, and all three are usually covered ad nauseam in your teens.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 am

Yep....I was past my teens when I realized I was an "anti-theist." The old arguments about whether or what exists or not is totally irrelevant. It was only funny the first five times when after explaining what "if god exists, I just don't want anything to do with him" meant to those who can't see past "if god exists, then you have to believe in him......"

Ha, ha. Sometimes, the rut is really deep.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm in that camp, too, if a god exists, such as the Christian god, I think he's a prick and don't need him. What? Do I get double eternity in hell for saying he's a prick? It's stupid.

Though I don't actively approach believers, I have enjoyed when the Jdubs come around. I think they have me on a list now, because they won't stop in, even when I see them drive by and I wave. Rude.

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”