Where do I begin?

How should we think about weird things?
MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Poodle wrote:
MattMVS7 wrote:
Poodle wrote:Actually, I can believe that it's the work of MattMVS7 - it's only seven notes long.

On the other hand, I suspect that those seven notes, in that exact sequence, could be found in Do Re Mi from the Sound of Music.

On the other hand again, nicking someone else's video is as bad as nicking someone else's music. "No, Your Honour, it merely LOOKS like Leonardo's painting. That brushstroke in the lower left corner is all mine."

No, that sequence is made by me and is not found in that song. I did not steal that sequence from any song.


Matt - it's a very short sequence. I can virtually guarantee that an identical sequence can be found in many, many other pieces of music. But tell me - why are you so certain that it isn't found in Do Re Mi?

You have to admit though, it was a good sequence. It does convey an awesome personality and that is what matters here. It is not just simply a sequence of randomly chosen notes strung together.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:15 am

It's a very ordinary descending sequence from a single octave. It couldn't be less interesting. It conveys a complete lack of personality. What the {!#%@} is wrong with your ears?

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:17 am

Poodle wrote:It's a very ordinary descending sequence from a single octave. It couldn't be less interesting. It conveys a complete lack of personality. What the {!#%@} is wrong with your ears?

I see an otherworldly personality. Something ghost-like and awesome. But you see no personality at all. Unless my brain is just attributing a personality to something that, in reality, has no personality at all. Therefore, I am unable to see the actual reality of my composition for what it really is. That being, it could really be as you say it is. It could really have no personality at all. How am I supposed to know for sure though?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:31 am

MattMVS7 wrote:... That being, it could really be as you say it is. It could really have no personality at all. How am I supposed to know for sure though?


You learn music. You learn about composition. You become a musician and composer. It takes years.

It's a bit like trolling. There are trolls who are very good at it and then there are trolls who are just stupid. You fall on the low end of the scale. You started out well, but very soon faltered - and now it's blatantly obvious but you're too arrogant to see that.

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:39 am

Poodle wrote:
MattMVS7 wrote:... That being, it could really be as you say it is. It could really have no personality at all. How am I supposed to know for sure though?


You learn music. You learn about composition. You become a musician and composer. It takes years.

It's a bit like trolling. There are trolls who are very good at it and then there are trolls who are just stupid. You fall on the low end of the scale. You started out well, but very soon faltered - and now it's blatantly obvious but you're too arrogant to see that.

When I had my dopamine (my good feelings), I was fully dedicated to learning to compose. You would see me as the most dedicated learner. I would sit there and learn all day. But ever since I lost those good feelings, I have given up because my good feelings are my only reason, inspiration, joy, happiness, and meaning in composing and living.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:46 am

MattMVS7 wrote:When I had my dopamine (my good feelings), I was fully dedicated to learning to compose. You would see me as the most dedicated learner. I would sit there and learn all day. But ever since I lost those good feelings, I have given up because my good feelings are my only reason, inspiration, joy, happiness, and meaning in composing and living.


That's a shame. The most dedicated learner of music and composition for a whole month and then fantasy strikes you down. That's a real bummer.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:49 am

MattMVS7 wrote: I was fully dedicated to learning to compose. You would see me as the most dedicated learner. I would sit there and learn all day.
What instrument? You are lying again. :lol: :lol:

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:52 am

Poodle wrote:
MattMVS7 wrote:When I had my dopamine (my good feelings), I was fully dedicated to learning to compose. You would see me as the most dedicated learner. I would sit there and learn all day. But ever since I lost those good feelings, I have given up because my good feelings are my only reason, inspiration, joy, happiness, and meaning in composing and living.


That's a shame. The most dedicated learner of music and composition for a whole month and then fantasy strikes you down. That's a real bummer.

Since me living forever (belief in the eternal blissful afterlife) and having my feelings of bliss is the #1 thing to me, then it is that which is my very reason for living and composing in the first place. Without that, then I have nothing and there is no reason for me living or composing. So now I have to consider drastic measures to try and get my life back such as brain damage.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:08 am

That's interesting.

If you damaged your brain, how would you know?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:44 am

Poodle wrote:That's interesting. If you damaged your brain, how would you know?


I'm now pretty sure he has "cue cards" with prepared paragraphs, open, that he can quickly copy into forum threads, for every time when he gets caught out lying.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:54 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Poodle wrote:That's interesting. If you damaged your brain, how would you know?


I'm now pretty sure he has "cue cards" with prepared paragraphs, open, that he can quickly copy into forum threads, for every time when he gets caught out lying.


Yep. He's demonstrated cyclical arguments a few times, always reverting back to "I want to live forever" when a point of discussion starts to get away from him.

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:06 am

Now with this video, this is not a composition I made. However, I changed the instruments of that composition to make the song sound more cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIV9K7rHnzs

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Lausten » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:06 pm

MattMVS7 wrote:I believed in a loving caring God in the past who expected none of these things from me. A God who was just there all for me to make me happy.

Religions fail for a number of reasons. A few have had restrictions on procreation, so they never have kids to indoctrinate. Some use mass suicides. Your's is just about you. You're not going to get many followers. You aren't even going get people to respect you or your ideas about God or bliss or whatever. You need to convince people you can cure cancer or that having sex with you will make them closer to God or something. But, that probably sounds like work to you.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:47 pm

People who don't want to live forever do not value life all that much. If they are willing to sacrifice a belief in an eternal afterlife for something else, then they do not value life all that much. Because if they did, then they would want to live forever. They would want to believe in an eternal afterlife. Therefore, the fact that they would want to sacrifice such a belief means they grow tired eventually and wish to just forever remain dead.

But a person who values life so profoundly would never want that taken away from them. They would want life to last forever. They would want to believe in an eternal blissful afterlife. So the fact that I have such a strong desire to live forever just goes to show you how much I value living and being happy. That makes me much more of a person than any materialist who would be willing to give up their belief in the eternal blissful afterlife.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:21 pm

Wishful Thinking United 1 Real World Athletic 0

What on Earth do you think WANTING has to do with it? There are two mutually exclusive states - there either is or there is not an afterlife. Now let's look at the evidence for an afterlife ...

err ... ummmm ... hold on ... won't be a minute ... Ah! There we are ...

There's none. Not a sausage. Zip. Big Fat Zero.

On the other hand, you have all the evidence in the world for there being this life. I advise you to enjoy it - it's all you get. So far, you've wasted quite a chunk of your time on BS and trolling. Can you not think of anything better to do? (I should qualify that - don't even think of becoming a musician).

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Poodle wrote:Wishful Thinking United 1 Real World Athletic 0

What on Earth do you think WANTING has to do with it? There are two mutually exclusive states - there either is or there is not an afterlife. Now let's look at the evidence for an afterlife ...

err ... ummmm ... hold on ... won't be a minute ... Ah! There we are ...

There's none. Not a sausage. Zip. Big Fat Zero.

On the other hand, you have all the evidence in the world for there being this life. I advise you to enjoy it - it's all you get. So far, you've wasted quite a chunk of your time on BS and trolling. Can you not think of anything better to do? (I should qualify that - don't even think of becoming a musician).

I am going to waste this life away trolling since this life means nothing to me now. I have lost my belief in the afterlife and my feelings of bliss. So I have nothing now. I can't enjoy this life and am just complaining away and trolling away without enjoying it. I am also simply pointing out that anyone who would be willing to sacrifice the idea of living forever doesn't have that much value towards life as I explained in my previous post.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:30 pm

MattMVS7 wrote:I am going to waste this life away trolling ... I ... am just ... trolling away ...


At last!

(Bugger! There's no troll smiley!).

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Poodle wrote:
MattMVS7 wrote:I am going to waste this life away trolling ... I ... am just ... trolling away ...


At last!

(Bugger! There's no troll smiley!).

Here is a composition I did in the past. It is actually my far better one. It conveys a strange mysterious personality to it. It has a wondrous personality to it. It is a magnificent composition of epic proportions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEY5AbXbR4k

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:55 pm

MattMVS7 wrote:Here is a composition I did just a few minutes ago. It is actually a piece of {!#%@}. It conveys what a sad bastard I am. It has a wondrous personality to it. It is a magnificent composition of epic proportions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEY5AbXbR4k



You're doing yourself no favours here, Matt.

P.S. I can see right up your nostrils from here.
Last edited by Poodle on Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Poodle wrote:
MattMVS7 wrote:Here is a composition I did just a few minutes ago. It is actually a piece of {!#%@}. It conveys what a sad bastard I am. It has a wondrous personality to it. It is a magnificent composition of epic proportions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEY5AbXbR4k

Now that's odd. You see an awful personality conveyed in that sequence of notes. But it has a magnificent personality to me. Strange. Now why is that?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:58 pm

Ah - that's an easy one. It's because I am sane and you are away with the fairies. (In fact, I think I can see one over your right shoulder).

Got any better ones?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:17 am

Well there you go. You are in your thirties?

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Lausten » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:20 am

MattMVS7 wrote:People who don't want to live forever do not value life all that much. If they are willing to sacrifice a belief in an eternal afterlife for something else, then they do not value life all that much. Because if they did, then they would want to live forever. They would want to believe in an eternal afterlife. Therefore, the fact that they would want to sacrifice such a belief means they grow tired eventually and wish to just forever remain dead.

I want to live forever, well, as long as there are other intelligent beings around anyway. Wanting is not the issue. Wanting doesn't make things happen. I want to live in the real world. I value that real world. I don't put my own petty desires ahead of the entire universe. I value life and I see it all around me. I don't expect all of that life to arrange itself to make me happy. I don't wish to be dead, I have concluded, based on all available evidence that it is likely I will die and remain dead. I arrange my priorities based on that.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29080
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:27 am

MattMVS7 wrote:Here is a composition I did in the past.

[video removed for reasons of modesty]

Why are you naked? :glare: Did you resonate your pants off?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:03 am

Now let me just say this. You don't need a brain to be alive. It is no different than a fancy car or a fancy mansion. Sure, the brain is amazing and is one fancy organ and all. But you don't need it. To think you need it is materialistic. It is no different than thinking you need a fancy car or mansion. That is materialistic as well. Both are materialism in both situations.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19623
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:14 am

MMVS7 wrote:You don't need a brain to be alive.

We - including you - know that's not the case, but there surely are some who seem to be validating that statement... :heh:
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10153
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:32 am


Isn't that "a" troll face? I see him quite a bit.

Mom used to play the violin. I took her to see some act I particularly liked and she smiled, said it was nice. Later, I caught her off guard and she said the lead guitar only used a variation of three chords and had a vocal range of three notes............ ((was it Stevie Nicks???)).

Mom was like any other person that knows music......... no fun to be with.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:55 am

I'm confused, bobbo. Is it your Mom or the guitar which is Stevie Nicks?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:22 am

Here is a cover of Matt's "My last composition" by one of the members of the Zelda forum. It is genuinely funny. It's on soundcloud and thus only audio.

"My Past Composition" (A MattMVS cover) by Neil Linehan
https://soundcloud.com/neillinehan/my-p ... tmvs-cover

MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:44 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Isn't that "a" troll face? I see him quite a bit.

Mom used to play the violin. I took her to see some act I particularly liked and she smiled, said it was nice. Later, I caught her off guard and she said the lead guitar only used a variation of three chords and had a vocal range of three notes............ ((was it Stevie Nicks???)).

Mom was like any other person that knows music......... no fun to be with.

I think I am going to troll the troll face. Is that guy taking pleasure taking a {!#%@}?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10153
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:21 pm

Poodle wrote:I'm confused, bobbo. Is it your Mom or the guitar which is Stevie Nicks?

Well, this is concerning Poodle....linguist that you are. Obviously, the set up is that Mom had musical talent beyond 3 chords or notes...so Mom was not Stevie Nicks. Directly, Mom was commenting not on the guitar but on the lead guitar which is clearly a metonymy.

You really should brush up on your Shakespeare. ((Edit: Thanks Poodle....I take your correction.))
Last edited by bobbo_the_Pragmatist on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:16 pm


MattMVS7
Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby MattMVS7 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:01 pm

Here is another composition I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_aemzrUaYs

This is called a wope

And you are on {!#%@} dope.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:00 am

Matt MVS : The full story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cDsX0R8kYE

This video is three fans of Matt's "compositions" going through Matt's "work". There isn't any really new information however you get to see some of the earlier "work" that Matt deleted.

The video is from February 2016 and so mostly concentrates on Matt setting up his trolling back story.
:D

(I watched the entire video, Pyrrho and it is safe in all respects.)

User avatar
Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:08 am
Location: Middle Of Nowhere

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:17 am

The degree of life after death is inversely proportional to the degree of intelligence before death.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:57 am

MattMVS7 wrote:Here is another composition I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_aemzrUaYs

This is called a wope

And you are on {!#%@} dope.


The only thing that surprises me now is that there are no bars on that window.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:40 am

Poodle wrote: The only thing that surprises me now is that there are no bars on that window.
It's still a 100% act. The back story keeps changing. :D

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8097
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Poodle » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:53 am

It's certainly an act, Matthew. The question is why any sane person would want to do it. No - I'll rephrase that. No sane person would want to do it. Mad as a hatter. My original position still stands - if ever there was a case for medical intervention, this is it.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26342
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:35 am

Poodle wrote:It's certainly an act, Matthew. The question is why any sane person would want to do it. No - I'll rephrase that. No sane person would want to do it. Mad as a hatter. My original position still stands - if ever there was a case for medical intervention, this is it.


I know what you are saying. Someone with OCD is pretending to have depression, an anxiety disorder or autism depending on what forum he is posting on. It's the idiot from the back of the primary school class who keeps making "farting noises at teacher" after everyone else has calmed down.

Matt is still making farting noises at 28. Then again, so is Zeuzzz, Freebill and Gorgeous.
:D

User avatar
Pyrrho
Administrator
Posts: 10246
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:31 am
Contact:

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:30 am

Ahem. :rulez:
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.


Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest