Where do I begin?

How should we think about weird things?
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: Where do I begin?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:02 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Who would you rather have intervene in your own case?
My brother has schizophrenia. His wife hanged herself last year. Ten years before that I was telephoned by my brother's friend and told to get over to his house immediately. I found my brother crying on my friend's couch. His wife had just announced at someone else's wedding that she was screwing a local bad person. I had to then go to my brother's house where I found her in dirty undies and a t-shirt, off her tits, covered in blood. She then put on a show and hit herself with a ceramic crucifix on her head and kept doing so. So I threw her on the ground and sat on her and tried to make a decision. I dragged her by the arms to a land line and rang an ambulance. I explained to the operator that I did not know what to do. She said "hang on luv I'll send an ambo over" which is what happened. Naturally all this was somehow my fault and they both abused me and pretended nothing had happened. My father said I did the right thing.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:23 am

You got her into professional care. I'd second that.

And give you kudos for not simply shrugging your shoulders and saying, 'none of my business...' :-D
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:My father said I did the right thing.

Struth.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Who would you rather have intervene in your own case?

Well, THAT is a coincidence. When I referenced your own case, I didn't know you had a case.

but yeah....sounds like you did the only thing you could have done. You can't walk away from "family" in need.......unless they have a gun or knife?? Walking away however is often the right course of action when its more about "emotions" and less about "extremes" and immediate danger.

Your life has its dramatic events Matt. Mine is quite dull...avoiding the dramatics and those who enjoy them as I do. Ha, ha...... still .... pros and cons to all we do. Would a more dramatic life have a bit more interest in it??? I'll never know.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
My brother has schizophrenia. His wife hanged herself last year. Ten years before that I was telephoned by my brother's friend and told to get over to his house immediately. I found my brother crying on my friend's couch. His wife had just announced at someone else's wedding that she was screwing a local bad person. I had to then go to my brother's house where I found her in dirty undies and a t-shirt, off her tits, covered in blood. She then put on a show and hit herself with a ceramic crucifix on her head and kept doing so. So I threw her on the ground and sat on her and tried to make a decision. I dragged her by the arms to a land line and rang an ambulance. I explained to the operator that I did not know what to do. She said "hang on luv I'll send an ambo over" which is what happened. Naturally all this was somehow my fault and they both abused me and pretended nothing had happened. My father said I did the right thing.

Your father was right. Physical intervention was the only way of helping her at that point. Fortunately, she chose a method that allowed time for an intervention.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:44 am

MattMVS7 wrote:I swear I am going to kill someone here. If I can't get my dopamine (good feelings back), then I will become violent. I have anhedonia and I have had it for quite some time now. I absolutely cannot stand being in that neutral mental state. I always need to be in that high dopamine state. If I can't be in that state, then I will become violent.

sounds like another victim of psychiatry and medication ?

im guessing you take whatever meds shrinks put you on ?
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:01 am

That's a wish on everyone's Xmas list... :roll:
Hi, Io the lurker.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:16 am

scrmbldggs wrote:That's a wish on everyone's Xmas list... :roll:

stuff does go over my head - sooo

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:

His rather strange behavior made many wish he would take his meds. He's quite unhinged at times.

But then again, it all might be the act of a garden variety troll.
Hi, Io the lurker.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:54 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote:

His rather strange behavior made many wish he would take his meds. He's quite unhinged at times.

But then again, it all might be the act of a garden variety troll.

have to admit the side effects if someone stops taking meds is worse than taking meds

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:57 am

just found out I am a real troll - born in the lower peninsula , so under the bridge / big mac
just a matter of perspective who is a troll , I guess

scientia

Postby scientia » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:22 am

MattMVS7 wrote:It is for this very reason why I am agnostic about the existence of the afterlife. I realize the skeptics here would say that this is the wrong position to take and that I should instead be a full materialist. Someone who should dismiss the concept of the afterlife as though there is no possibility of it being real.

Are you suggesting that dualism is a possibility?

If your mind existed separately from your body then why would you need a body?

If your mind survives the death of your brain then does it retain your memories? If it does then why don't you remember before you were born?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:35 pm

scientia wrote:Are you suggesting that dualism is a possibility?
Matt MSV7 is simply a troll who copies posts from other people on other forums here. He mostly trolls children's video game forums.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:47 am

scientia wrote:
MattMVS7 wrote:It is for this very reason why I am agnostic about the existence of the afterlife. I realize the skeptics here would say that this is the wrong position to take and that I should instead be a full materialist. Someone who should dismiss the concept of the afterlife as though there is no possibility of it being real.

Are you suggesting that dualism is a possibility?

If your mind existed separately from your body then why would you need a body?

If your mind survives the death of your brain then does it retain your memories? If it does then why don't you remember before you were born?

(My emphasis^) And why would a "freed mind" not attempt to inhabit another existing body. Even if it was only to communicate something to those it left behind. If such was possible and the case, it would be so common as to be unremarkable.

Welcome to SSF, scientia.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:10 pm

scrmbldggs wrote: And why would a "freed mind" not attempt to inhabit another existing body. Even if it was only to communicate something to those it left behind. If such was possible and the case, it would be so common as to be unremarkable.

Which nicely brings us to ghosts, alleged to be the spirits of people who died with unfinished business. Also known as "everyone who every lived." Except maybe my great-grandmother. At 90-something years old, she bid and made a Grand Slam, went to bed with a self-satisfied smirk on her face, and died in her sleep. Talk about going out with a bang.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”