Structured Water...Needs Debunking ?

How should we think about weird things?
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Structured Water...Needs Debunking ?

Postby ElectricMonk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:33 pm

I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:26 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Luna: so, what you are saying is we are actually being told: "Believe me because I think you are that ignorant and I can make money off your stupidity?"

Why, thats even more pernicious than I thought. Not even in the field of epistemology.

Obviously. I was addressing that comment to the "waterforlife" poster, but included your quote in order to add to your comment. There would be no point in underlining such a blatant motivation to you.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Ah well... the question to ask when talk turns to toxin removal and/or removal of other molecules, is "What is the proposed mechanism of action?" If the proposed mechanism of action is not supported by experiment, then it is unlikely to be true. A lot of the claims are at odds with known molecular biology and physics, so the challenge is that much more difficult.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Pyrrho wrote: A lot of the claims are at odds with known molecular biology and physics OR SCIENCE IN GENERAL, so the challenge is that much more difficult.

LMFTFY>MOST claims are at odds with known molecular biology and physics OR SCIENCE IN GENERAL, so the challenge is that much more difficult. ie: statements can be parsed into two categories. One is claims. The other is science. OR: Not factually established, vs scientifically established.

(My browser is sick and can't use editing prompts..... easily.)
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Eh...I think it's unwise to ignore the possibility that something not factually established or scientifically established might genuinely exist. I haven't time to delve into "structured water" claims, however, a cursory read of this site leaves me with the distinct impression that it is pseudoscience:

https://www.aqualiv.com/

Here are definite claims of medical benefits:

Increases circulation and blood oxygen levels

Stabilizes blood sugar

Each of those is a testable claim. Diabetes, for example, is a complex malady with many contributing factors. What's the mechanism of action by which "structured water" improves diabetic control?

The filtration portion of their claimed technology seem unremarkable. It probably is a pretty good water filtration system.

Where we enter the realm of strangeness is in the claims about the vortex system, which in my opinion which is worth $.02 USD, tend to ignore the complexities of molecular interaction.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:50 am

Pyrrho wrote:......I haven't time to delve into............ "

.....thats what was really driving my comment. So many claims almost always disputed and varied on any given narow topic while Science very often is quite uniform......where to best use one's time.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”