Everything Is Energy

How should we think about weird things?
Bulau

Everything Is Energy

Postby Bulau » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 am

Hi, all! New to the forum, first post coming up:

"Everything is Energy"

This was the title of a link I came across on a friend's blog. It goes to this website:
http://www.everythingisenergy.com/
and was supposed to promote the energy summit mentioned there.

Now I'm not really looking for skeptical feedback on anything they are promoting. I only had to read a few sentences to realize it is all woo motivational nonsense all wrapped up in scienc-y jargon. (on the other hand, if Oprah said it's true, who am I to argue?) But one thing stood out on that page, and it is the supposed quote of Albert Einstein:

"Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics."

I tried to verify the quote, but came up empty. Google returns lots of hits, all from similar-minded websites using the same quote. Anybody know?

I think it is either:
A: Not an quote of Einstein
or
B: If it is an Einstein quote, he didn't mean anything like what the website seems to imply that it means.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Everything Is Energy

Postby Monster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:30 am

Well, E=Mc^2 connotes that everything is indeed made of energy. It would also connote that everything is also matter.

EDIT: By the way, what kind of energy wasn't immediately apparent on that website.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

John Jones
Poster

Postby John Jones » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:17 am

Bulau wrote:Hi, all! New to the forum, first post coming up:

"Everything is Energy"

This was the title of a link I came across on a friend's blog. It goes to this website:
http://www.everythingisenergy.com/
and was supposed to promote the energy summit mentioned there.

Now I'm not really looking for skeptical feedback on anything they are promoting. I only had to read a few sentences to realize it is all woo motivational nonsense all wrapped up in scienc-y jargon. (on the other hand, if Oprah said it's true, who am I to argue?) But one thing stood out on that page, and it is the supposed quote of Albert Einstein:

"Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics."

I tried to verify the quote, but came up empty. Google returns lots of hits, all from similar-minded websites using the same quote. Anybody know?

I think it is either:
A: Not an quote of Einstein
or
B: If it is an Einstein quote, he didn't mean anything like what the website seems to imply that it means.

If everything is energy then there are no dstinguishable objects. That's not physics.

Bulau

Postby Bulau » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Well, that's the way I understood the physics, that matter and energy are interchangeable, but that is not the same as saying that matter *is* energy, or vice-versa.

Would Einstein have said what is quoted? If so, what would he have meant by it?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:41 pm

I do not think Einstein would have said that. While, in theory, energy and matter are interchangeable, in practise, it is just not that easy.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 pm

It is not likely Einstein wrote:Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics.

Since that statement is clearly not valid physics, especially in the sense that those New Age websites are interpreting it to mean, it is highly doubtful Einstein ever said it. But my personal opinion is not sufficient to refute their claim that Einstein said it.

On the other hand, if Einstein did say that, it would probably be listed here, but it's not:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

This is one of those cases where it is it difficult to prove a negative. How do you prove someone did not say something? You would have to read everything they ever wrote no matter how obscure. And chances are some things he wrote no longer exist. This is why the person who claims Einstein said it must cite their source. And if they cannot, it is reasonable to adopt the provisional position that Einstein did not say it.

I could be wrong, of course.

DHS88

Postby DHS88 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:49 am

Is it? Is it really physics? Or is it New Age teaching posing as physics?

I understand the basis of their comparison. If you strike a tuning fork in a studio, a tuning fork of the same frequency across the room will begin to resonate. And that IS physics. But if you try that same experiment in vacuum, will you get the same result? I'm not a physicist but I think the answer is 'no'. The 2nd tuning fork doesn't vibrate because something weird and unexplained is taking place. It vibrates because the air is conducting the vibrations of sound.

What does this have to do with "creating what you want in life"?

Not a thing.

I've recently ended a career in personal development and success coaching that was productive and well-intentioned. And I was able to help a lot of people make forward progress in life. But, the longer I stayed in that industry, the more I had to contend with the fact that the industry is getting over-run with pseudo-science, New Age mumbo-jumbo and all kinds of baseless teachings.

Anyway, I've turned this into a rant and that wasn't my intent. But I think anyone with even a high-school understanding of physics knows that the principles of physics may not have anything at all to do with whether or not someone is creating the kind of lifestyle they want.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:47 am

Three space and one time dimension exist. As far as I know they are not comprised of matter, and thus by E = Mc^2, not energy either.

Thus everything is not energy.

That is unless you can explain how a dimension is energy?

Any theories ?
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

surrounded
Poster

Postby surrounded » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:04 am

They always start with "everything is energy" to which I agree, then they proceed to therefor....and from then on it is all B.S..... I liked the new agers better before they started to think they were dealing in science.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:19 am

All the energy in the universe sums to zero, gravity being negative. If all is energy then all is nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_Universe
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:58 am

A question rrhichar

How can you describe gravity as energy, whether positive or negative?
I accept that gravitational potential energy is energy, but gravity itself?

zpinch

Postby zpinch » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:49 pm

rrichar911 wrote:Three space and one time dimension exist. As far as I know they are not comprised of matter, and thus by E = Mc^2, not energy either.

Any theories ?

Hi rrichar911

Could you explain how time is a "dimension"... does it have length... width... etc?

Have we ever measured the outer limits of space, i.e. found the edges which would indicate it has a certain "measurable" width for example, it's my guess that without such measurements we might do better to assume there are no limits and therefore regard space as "dimension-less" and that objects in space define three-dimensional qualities?

Just a thought

zpinch

Postby zpinch » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:A question rrhichar

If gravity isn't thought to be energy/force-based why is so much money being invested into the LIGO and LISA projects to look for Einstein's gravitational waves?

Are you saying that gravity has some kind of "tangible" or "physical" quality to it Lance?

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:46 pm

zpinch wrote:
rrichar911 wrote:Three space and one time dimension exist.

Could you explain how time is a "dimension"... does it have length... width... etc?

Perhaps this link answers your question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension

A temporal dimension is a dimension of time. Time is often referred to as the "fourth dimension" for this reason, but that is not to imply that it is a spatial dimension.

zpinch

Postby zpinch » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:39 pm

xouper wrote:Perhaps this link answers your question:

A temporal dimension is a dimension of time. Time is often referred to as the "fourth dimension" for this reason, but that is not to imply that it is a spatial dimension.

Hi xouper

Thanks for the link but it doesn't really explain anything of substance for me, for example, saying space is three-dimensional is misleading in my opinion because we simply do not know if the universe has form or structure. If it is never-ending in every direction then it cannot by definition have dimension.Objects in space, such as planets, stars, galaxy clusters etc I can accept as being three-dimensional because they have shape and form - but if we remove three dimensional objects from space, i.e. there is just blackness of space, how would we define dimension when we'd have no concept of up or down or left and right or even of motion.

I don't wish to derail the OP's question so I'll put my thoughts on the back burner :D

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:59 pm

zpinch wrote:
xouper wrote:Perhaps this link answers your question:

Thanks for the link but it doesn't really explain anything of substance for me, for example, saying space is three-dimensional is misleading in my opinion because we simply do not know if the universe has form or structure.

If you do not agree that space is three-dimensional, then I am no longer interested in discussing this further with you. You asked why time was considered a "dimension", and I answered that, but now it seems you have a more fundamental conceptual issue. Which is fine, but I am not interested in that particular philosophical question. Sorry.

zpinch wrote:If it is never-ending in every direction then it cannot by definition have dimension.

Incorrect.

zpinch wrote: . . . if we remove three dimensional objects from space, i.e. there is just blackness of space, how would we define dimension when we'd have no concept of up or down or left and right or even of motion.

Your question has no meaning, since if we removed all three-dimensional objects, we would no longer be here to even ask the question, let alone ponder the notion of left and right.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:07 pm

zpinch wrote:

If gravity isn't thought to be energy/force-based why is so much money being invested into the LIGO and LISA projects to look for Einstein's gravitational waves?

Are you saying that gravity has some kind of "tangible" or "physical" quality to it Lance?

I do not know what gravity is, which puts me in good company - ie. 100% of humanity.

However, it is usually described as a force rather than as energy.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:49 pm

zpinch wrote:

Perhaps a jargon review would be useful here.

Electromagnetism is a force whereas electromagnetic waves transport energy as electromagnetic radiation.

Similarly, gravity is a force whereas gravitational waves are conjectured to transport energy as gravitational radiation.

Does this help?

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:36 pm

So, so... What exactly is "energy"?
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:21 am

Technically, energy is the capacity to do work. Work is moving an object against a force, such as lifting an object against gravity. A force is a push or a pull.

Energy is not the same as force. If gravity is a force, as normally accepted, then it is not energy.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Well fine Lance, the ability to do work is an operational definition of energy and like all operational definitions it probably is just a part of the story. For example, gasoline can be defined operationally as the fluid which powers our internal combustion machines but this is certainly not the entire definition.

I know, I know, the difference is that gasoline is defined directly as the stuff we can actually touch, manufacture it and destroy it but energy is something (if it indeed is "something") that can only be referred to indirectly through mass, time, electric charge, distance, etc.

But we know that "energy" can't be created or destroyed, it is, in this Universe, finite, that we can transfer it, transform it, do work with it and store it. And the dark energy makes the Universe blow up. "It"??? what the hell is that chimera that makes the Universe do all those things?

I realize, of course. that asking the question "What is energy?" is akin to asking "What is the Universe?" or "What is matter?" Even if such questions make sense they are, at this stage of our technological development unanswerable. Like the question of the ancients, "What is lightening?" that could only be answered operationally as the thing which kills you if it hits you on the head. ;)
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Technically, energy is the capacity to do work. Work is moving an object against a force, such as lifting an object against gravity. A force is a push or a pull.

Energy is not the same as force. If gravity is a force, as normally accepted, then it is not energy.

That's the definition of available energy.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:49 pm

zpinch wrote:
rrichar911 wrote:Three space and one time dimension exist. As far as I know they are not comprised of matter, and thus by E = Mc^2, not energy either.

Any theories ?

Hi rrichar911

Have we ever measured the outer limits of space, i.e. found the edges which would indicate it has a certain "measurable" width for example, it's my guess that without such measurements we might do better to assume there are no limits and therefore regard space as "dimension-less" and that objects in space define three-dimensional qualities?

Just a thought

Science uses 4 Space dimensions called dS where DS^2 = DX^2 -icDT^2, because it gives better answers than the old geometry. It is a variation of Pathagaros thm A^2 + B^2 = C^2 the geometry of flat space in 3 dimensions.

Why it gives better answers, who knows. We do not ask why something is true, we ask what is true. We use it because it works better

Science does not prove theories, why something is true would be an opinion.
Last edited by rrichar911 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:50 pm

For those who would like further clarity on the concept:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/energy/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:04 pm

But if your asking for opinions, here is mine.

What is a dimension in space? How do you tell how far away something is? You measure it, and the way you measure it if it is far away is via light.

We know that light speed is a constant, so if your friend on a distant planet sends you a message and the message is, on my planet my watch says 12 noon, your watches are synchronized and you receive the message at 12:05, then we compute how far the two planets are from each other by the formula l = ct.

We then know if the planets are moving toward or away from each other that we have to compensate for that i.e. length contraction and time dilation will come into play as described by the Lorentz transformation. i.e. distance and time will change.

The question then is why do they change? If we are asking what is a dimension, we need to answer why dimensions have the ability to shrink, and expand. Otherwise we do not really understand what a dimension is.

This behavior can be explained which does not mean that the explination is correct, only logically consistent, if we assume that a dimension is light itself which is split into a forward and backward wave traveling forward and backward in time.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm splitting this because my computer is doing funny things.

How does that work? For a photon DS = 0. i.e dx^2 = icdt^2. or c = dx / dt In 4 space a photon goes no where. dS = 0. In 3 space it does go somewhere.

If a photon travels forward in time, and its twin travels backward in time, then the two will always be at the same location in 3 space at the same time. Thus it is possible that the medium they use to travel through is each other rather than this something we call the either or space a seporate substance of some sort. A very strange substance, that we cannot say constitutes energy of any known kind.

How can we see this. If your at point A and a light source is at point B, then the light leaves B at time t1, and arrives at your location at time t2. A photon traveling backward in time leaves you at time t2, and arrives at B at time t1. What you would see in 3 space is thus a photon leaving B at time t1 and arriving at A at time t2. You would see one photon traveling forward in time.

In the photons world, it went no where and took no time to do it, as its "space" 4d, dS = 0.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:26 pm

So if we assume that space is created by photons using the forward traveling 1/2 as medium for the backward traveling 1/2, and vice versa, we have photons them selves constituting space-time. There is no necessity for a medium (space) which they travel through, like waves traveling through water. Space-time then is the effect of transforming from the geometry of 4d , dS to 3d. where A^2 + B^2 = C^2 in flat space. i.e the 3 spacial dimesions we know and love.

In 4d geometry space and time are treated equally as dimensions, and by doing so we get the right answers, better answers than if we don't treat them equally. All the rest is conjecture.

You can also derive the Lorentz transformation by making the assumption that photons are composed of two halves, one forward traveling and one backward traveling in time in dS space. That is to say I am unaware of any contradictions that making that assumption presents. Thus it has a chance of being right.

For a deeper analysis look up the work done by Feynman and Wheeler on the subject. They demonstrated that all the backward time traveling photons would total to zero, i.e. not be directly observable. Which is to say, what we would see, is exactly what we do see.
This would be a start.

http://www.paulfriedlander.com/text/tim ... eynman.htm

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:19 pm

rrichar911 wrote:I'm splitting this because my computer is doing funny things. .
That's odd. I see you are only typing single pages. Are you only able to type down one page and then the cursor tries to jump back to the top of the page? I have just had that experience only on this forum for two days but it stopped last night. Pyrrho has been doing some maintenance. It may be due to this.

Reverend Zapanaz

Postby Reverend Zapanaz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Personally I don't have a huge problem with the "everything is energy" part.

On the other hand, what the hell is it supposed to mean to "match the frequency of the reality you want"?

That's just gibberish as far as I can see.

delavie

Postby delavie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Some food for pondering here: http://universalchurchofyahduh.wordpres ... -beholder/
other articles worth reading also.
It IS all relative... relative to the state of consciousness of who's doing the looking.

DHS88

Postby DHS88 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:12 am

This shouldn't be mistaken for a scientific quote.

Every time I see this quote, it's in the context of "the law of attraction" or other New Age "vibrational energy/frequency/The Secret" type of conversation.

The premise is that all you have to do is think about what you want and you will "manifest" it into your reality.

Einstein's name on that quote is simply someone's attempt to add credibility to a New Age teaching. I seriously doubt that Einstein would have used the phrase "...match the frequency of the reality...".

It smacks of Deepak Chopra and Wayne Dyer and doesn't sound like anything else that Einstein ever wrote.

Tony

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 am

The energy stored in gravitational potential energy is negative, and exactly cancels that stored in matter.

thus we have a zero energy universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_Universe

The zero-energy universe hypothesis states that the total amount of energy in the universe is exactly zero. When the energy of the universe is considered from a pseudo-tensor point of view, zero values are obtained in the resulting calculations.[1] The amount of positive energy in the form of matter is exactly canceled out by the negative energy in the form of gravity.[2][3]

floatingbones

Postby floatingbones » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 pm

@Bulau, thanks for posting this discussion here. This discussion winds up being the most findable one about the alleged Einstein quote.

I noticed that the "Everything is Energy" website has dropped the quote (but they still have it on one of their secondary websites).

The wikiquote.org pages have sections for disputed and mis-attributed quotes. I'm going to see what it would take to have this quote put in (at best) the disputed section and hopefully the mis-attributed section.

If I ever meet the person who concocted this nonsense quote, I might have a few rude words for them.

slee

Postby slee » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

I remember being taught(public school) that energy never dies, it's transformed from one form to another like electric light to heat.

""Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics.""

That phrase reminds me of the simple physics experiment with sound energy(waves, vibration, frequency) and matter:
*Caution, volume warning*
Pouring salt onto a metal plate that is sitting on a speaker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuyQSZX8HMI

Could this be classified as sacred geometry?

Sheeptic
Poster

Postby Sheeptic » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:14 pm

If you can be so open-minded your brains drop out, you can be so closed-minded you become full of ... - Me.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:24 am

slee wrote:I remember being taught(public school) that energy never dies, it's transformed from one form to another like electric light to heat.

Energy can't "die" because it's not "alive".

"Energy cannot be created or destroyed" is the easiest way to express it. After that, it gets a bit more complicated.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:50 am

DHS88 wrote:If you strike a tuning fork in a studio, a tuning fork of the same frequency across the room will begin to resonate.

That's probably the best explanation of quantum entanglement I've ever read!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Bulau

Postby Bulau » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:06 pm

floatingbones wrote:... This discussion winds up being the most findable one about the alleged Einstein quote...

Ha! Well I'm happy that it displaces the woo that came up when I googled it! I came across a BigThink video of Michio Kaku talking about Deja vu, and he comes the closest to anything I've found from mainstream science on this idea of "vibrating in unison", although I'm certain he isn't lending any credibility to the woo interpretation, since he concludes that we have disengaged from any of the alternate universes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5hLj8E4rTE

floatingbones

Postby floatingbones » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:55 am

Bulau wrote:
floatingbones wrote:... This discussion winds up being the most findable one about the alleged Einstein quote...

Ha! Well I'm happy that it displaces the woo that came up when I googled it!

I would guess it came from the everythingisenergy.com website (which appears to be a "law of attraction" site).

I am happy for motivational companies to have a site. I am bothered if they create a quote from nothing and attribute it to Al.

I don't see any reason to speculate what the quote is intended to mean. The quote has no basis in reality.

mklein

Postby mklein » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:11 am

Darryl Anka, channeling Bashar, at http://bashar.org, claims this quote at http://www.bashar.org/about/idesofmarch.html. Check out the last paragraph. It's probably that guy's stuff.
It's not plausible that it's Einstein.
Cheers,

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”