How should we think about weird things?
salomed
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Joe Rogan Experience #961 - Graham Hancock, Randall Carlson & Michael Shermer

Postby salomed » Wed May 17, 2017 3:54 pm

I am halfway through this. Very interesting and well worth a watch or listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFlAFo78xoQ

Even if you are not interested in this topic, it is a great example of debate and skepticism, in the traditional sense.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Joe Rogan Experience #961 - Graham Hancock, Randall Carlson & Michael Shermer

Postby Monster » Wed May 17, 2017 4:36 pm

3.5 hours is kind of long. Can you provide a summary of this, or at least the topic being discussed?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

salomed
Frequent Poster

Re: Joe Rogan Experience #961 - Graham Hancock, Randall Carlson & Michael Shermer

Postby salomed » Wed May 17, 2017 10:24 pm

Monster wrote:3.5 hours is kind of long. Can you provide a summary of this, or at least the topic being discussed?

No. Did you read the second line of my post? Don't listen to it, don't comment. Enjoy your day.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 pm

advanced ancient societies and tech....Shermer says science undersold the ancient people...talk about moving mega ton stones, carving in precision, Shermer says cave paintings more impressive than Gobeki Tepi temple ........sphinx, pyramids....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Monster wrote:3.5 hours is kind of long. Can you provide a summary of this, or at least the topic being discussed?
It's simply an episode of a regular podcast show where one or two woo believers argue with a couple of scientific skeptics or experts. Basically, you already know all the scientific facts and arguments. It's the woo believer's claims and explanations that are wasting all the time. :D

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Wed May 17, 2017 11:56 pm

salomed wrote:

No. Did you read the second line of my post? Don't listen to it, don't comment. Enjoy your day.

You mean this?

Even if you are not interested in this topic, it is a great example of debate and skepticism, in the traditional sense.

Yeah, I saw it. It wasn't enough information. Matthew Ellard has cleared it up though.

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Thu May 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
It's simply an episode of a regular podcast show where one or two woo believers argue with a couple of scientific skeptics or experts. Basically, you already know all the scientific facts and arguments. It's the woo believer's claims and explanations that are wasting all the time. :D

Well, it is Michael Shermer arguing with the wooists. This should be a sticky isnt it? Joe Rogan is an amazing chair. Shermer is very apologetic in places, he has to be.

I really recommend a listen. If you listen to Ellard above, who hasn't listened to it, then you won't listen to this, and you will be missing out, which I imagine is exactly what he wants?

What is being debated is Gobliki Tepe and the idea from Magicians of The Gods, which I have read, that a comet storm melted the north american ice caps and from this the idea that this global catastrophe almost wiped out an advanced global civilization, many, many millennia ago.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu May 18, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm fairly convinced that this is fairly old and am fairly sure that we've had this on here before with some Gobliki Tepe nut whose name I can't remember. Not much to go on, is it?
Graham Hancock is, I believe, a very talented writer of fascinating fairy tales. I enjoy reading him. Don't, for goodness' sake, make the error of thinking he's being serious. He makes a lot of money from well-put-together almost-research books. That's all it's possible to say.

EDIT: I've just searched ... One of the people discussing it was YOU, salomed.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu May 18, 2017 10:19 pm

well...if he makes a lot of money it must be fake...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu May 18, 2017 11:19 pm

salomed wrote:I really recommend a listen. If you listen to Ellard above, who hasn't listened to it, then you won't listen to this, and you will be missing out, which I imagine is exactly what he wants?

: I listened to the video. That's why I was able to describe it, you complete idiot.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Poodle wrote:I'm fairly convinced that this is fairly old and am fairly sure that we've had this on here before with some Gobliki Tepe nut whose name I can't remember. ...........
EDIT: I've just searched ... One of the people discussing it was YOU, salomed.

...and naturally, Salomed knew nothing about Gobliki Tepe other than from "woo" websites.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21888&p=376290&hilit=Gobliki+Tepe#p376290 

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
salomed wrote:I really recommend a listen. If you listen to Ellard above, who hasn't listened to it, then you won't listen to this, and you will be missing out, which I imagine is exactly what he wants?

: I listened to the video. That's why I was able to describe it, you complete idiot.

What did you think about Shermer being being pretty signifigantly wrong then, and admitting this?

What about the new evidence on the Bimini Road?

Is the impact evidence not overwhelming?

Are a clovis first guy too?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri May 19, 2017 5:51 am

salomed wrote: What did you think about Shermer being being pretty signifigantly significantly wrong then, and admitting this?
That he is a real skeptic who admits when he is wrong. That is in contrast to you, a woo propagandist who ignored all the evidence that you were 100% wrong concerning your Sonnets bull-shit. :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri May 19, 2017 6:06 am

salomed wrote: What about the new evidence on the Bimini Road? Is the impact evidence not overwhelming?

There is no new evidence that the underwater Bimini rock formation, in the Bahamas, is the ancient civilisation of Atlantis or man made at all.

The "University of Colorado" report was first mentioned as existing in 2013 yet no one can actually produce it. Do you have a link to this science paper? :lol:

The world is full of natural square rock formations.
Square rocks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Fri May 19, 2017 7:34 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
salomed wrote: What about the new evidence on the Bimini Road? Is the impact evidence not overwhelming?

There is no new evidence that the underwater Bimini rock formation, in the Bahamas, is the ancient civilisation of Atlantis or man made at all.

The "University of Colorado" report was first mentioned as existing in 2013 yet no one can actually produce it. Do you have a link to this science paper? :lol:

The world is full of natural square rock formations.
Square rocks.jpg

You walked right into my trap. Fail.You have now shown me without question what I have suspected, you are a dishonest man.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am

Ahh! You are very clever. Grasshopper!
WHAT new evidence? Present it here, please, and establish that it is, indeed, evidence. I give you fair warning that your performance on Shakespearean memorabilia may colour my reaction.
But - to be fair - I'm happy to see you haven't run away, Salomed.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 pm

I'm at 59 minutes in the video right now. Shermer doesn't do a particularly good job up to this point. Maybe this isn't the best format for him or he doesn't have the requisite knowledge.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri May 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:There is no new evidence that the underwater Bimini rock formation, in the Bahamas, is the ancient civilisation of Atlantis or man made at all.
salomed wrote: You walked right into my trap. Fail.You have now shown me without question what I have suspected, you are a dishonest man.
What trap? :lol:
You claimed there was new evidence in your post. I said there was no new evidence. Remember? Where is this new evidence?
:lol:

Did it occur to you, for a nanosecond, that this video has already been discussed on the International Skeptic Forum? :lol:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... p?t=319642

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sat May 20, 2017 12:07 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Did it occur to you, for a nanosecond, that this video has already been discussed on the International Skeptic Forum? :lol:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... p?t=319642

angrysoba wrote this:

He also wipes the floor with Shermer, as does Joe Rogan who both rightly (in my opinion) point out Shermer's well-poisoning tactics and his reliance on general principles of argument in lieu of specific knowledge about the subject at hand.

I agree strongly. Shermer has done a poor job at this particular "debate".

salomed
Frequent Poster

Postby salomed » Sat May 20, 2017 4:53 am

Monster wrote:
He also wipes the floor with Shermer, as does Joe Rogan who both rightly (in my opinion) point out Shermer's well-poisoning tactics and his reliance on general principles of argument in lieu of specific knowledge about the subject at hand.

I agree strongly. Shermer has done a poor job at this particular "debate".

Yes. It is embarrassing! He comes over as a good guy but utterly shoddy in his approach. Rogan is a very good chair.

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”